PDA

View Full Version : Working student near Philadelphia

USETSomeday
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hi all, I'm trying to nail down a working student position for this summer. I haven't found anything on YardandGroom.com, and I've sent out feelers through facebook but haven't had much luck.
Does anyone know of trainers in the area that are looking for or have taken working students in the past?
I've been riding h/j/eq for 15 years now, and I also have experience in eventing and western horsemanship.
So, suggestions? I'm willing to work (hard) for saddle time, and love to learn from different people. I don't need lodging and have my own transportation, although closer is better unless gas is subsidized. Plus, I can travel to shows if warranted, so that could be a plus.

Thanks in advance! I'm really trying to keep riding as I graduate from college and leave the world of IHSA behind :-P

vxf111
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:02 PM
Any interest in being an intern at the Devon Horse Show, doing PR? It's only a couple of weeks, but it might be nice to do in addition to being a working student.

alternate_universe
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
Does it have to be on the Philly side of PA? And does it have to be H/J? Because seeing that you're going to school in Pittsburgh I was going to suggest Rebekah and Joan Simmons. They are eventers based in the suburbs north of Pittsburgh. Not super big names, but Rebekah has gone to Rolex.

USETSomeday
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
Being an intern sounds like it could be fun! Can I get some more information about it? My email is in my profile. I love Devon and go every year. It's always been my dream to show there...

As far as location goes, unfortunately, yes, it does need to be on the Philly side of PA. I graduate at the end of April and my lease is up the day after, so it's back to Philadelphia I go, at least until the fall, but possibly for the next year as well.
I really enjoyed eventing, though!

lcw579
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
If you'd be happy at an event barn, Susie Beale is usually looking for working students. She runs a busy camp all summer.

SonnysMom
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:29 PM
From Horse of Delaware Valley:
http://www.horsedelval.com/classfd.htm#clcode170
In the past I think Jane has looked for working students so I attached her ad also.
There is one there for VA Eastern shore but I figured that would be too far.

WORKING STUDENTpostition avail for assistance with horses in training for dressage competition. Sharon Best PO Box 333 Unionville, PA 19375
610-999-8370
besthomstd@aol.com (besthomstd@aol.com)

Barn help mornings 6 days/wk. mucking, some riding possible.
Experienced, reliable. 610-857-2514. sleepyjane@juno.com (sleepyjane@juno.com)