PDA

View Full Version : looking for a small happy mouth of a tough rubber snaffle

Mayaty02
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
whoops typo in the title. Should say "looking for a small happy mouth OR a tough rubber snaffle"

We have a coming 6 yr old loves a nice big rubber bit, as in loves to chew on it. She's used it twice and it's already coming apart. Had her in a Happy Mouth but the 4.5 size (which actually measures 4.75) is too big for her and I can't find anything smaller. Anyone have suggestions for a tough rubber dee (4.5) or have a lead on where I can find a smaller Happy Mouth?

Satin Filly
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:07 PM
http://www.justforponies.com/ponybits.aspx

Mayaty02
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:49 PM
http://www.justforponies.com/ponybits.aspx

Been there, no dee ring happy mouths that are suitable for the pony... and there are multiple rubber dees, but no idea which, if any, would be tougher than the one I have.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
Been there, no dee ring happy mouths that are suitable for the pony... and there are multiple rubber dees, but no idea which, if any, would be tougher than the one I have.

Does she HAVE to go in a dee ring? My hunters are schooled in a loose ring and show in a dee simply because I like the look better.. IMO there's not much of a difference in the cheek pieces for a dee, loose ring, or eggbut.
I have a 4.5" loose ring happy mouth for a med. pony, and it measures true to size.

LovesHorses
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:05 AM
You'd have to go custom. I have a few Jay Shuttleworth bits like that for large ponies. They run about $250.

Contact info here: http://blueberry-hill.net/id39.html

Mayaty02
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:58 AM
Does she HAVE to go in a dee ring? My hunters are schooled in a loose ring and show in a dee simply because I like the look better.. IMO there's not much of a difference in the cheek pieces for a dee, loose ring, or eggbut.
I have a 4.5" loose ring happy mouth for a med. pony, and it measures true to size.

Good point, she could school in a loose ring certainly and save the rubber for shows. Have you actually measured the happy mouth though? All the dee ring ones that we have measure 4.75 when you put the measuring tape to them. The 4.5 rubber fits her perfectly, so she's a true 4.5

STA
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
Have you tried wrapping a regular 4.5" snaffle with Latex?

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Good point, she could school in a loose ring certainly and save the rubber for shows. Have you actually measured the happy mouth though? All the dee ring ones that we have measure 4.75 when you put the measuring tape to them. The 4.5 rubber fits her perfectly, so she's a true 4.5

I just measured mine, and the rubber from end to end measures around 4.75, however if I measure from where the rings are, no more than 4.5" is actually in the ponies mouth.
I'm thinking it could have something to do with the way the rings are placed.

Rel6
Mar. 27, 2012, 07:02 PM

Even if the loose ring measure a 4.75 all you'd have to do is stick rubber bit guards on them (which she might need anyway). Those should take up enough space to make the bit fit better.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:36 PM
Even if the loose ring measure a 4.75 all you'd have to do is stick rubber bit guards on them (which she might need anyway). Those should take up enough space to make the bit fit better.

This is a good point! I know they also make velcro bit guards that are a bit thicker than ribber ones: two together would easily make up for the extra 1/4" if the bit ends up being too big.