PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar saddles "ouchie" crotch?!

Sellefrancais
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
I have had some time off from riding and just recently got back into it now that I have a horse that's old enough to be working. I bought a new Jaguar xjs for my filly and when I was riding her in it before the break I didnt notice this as much.... but now that I am jumping in it and training hard I am finding it SERIOUSLY hurts my crotch... has anyone else dealt with this... is it something you kinda move past or is this a sell your saddle it never goes away kinda problem ?

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
Sellefrancais, meet TheInvernessProblem.:D

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35083&highlight=inverness+problem

jetsmom
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:28 AM
Assuming it's not because you are riding in poor form...

I bet you have fairly flat thighs.
Find a saddle with a wider twist. Antares saddles have a wider twist than many others. A too narrow twist will make someone with flatter thighs pinch with their knees, and rub your crotch raw. A narrow twisted saddle is good for people with rounded thighs, as the roundness fills up that space, and a wider twist would make them feel like they are riding a barrel. If you know anyone with an Antares, try it, and you will see the difference.

I went through 3 saddles (HDR, Beval Natural, and County Stabilizer XTR), before I tried an Antares after having a saddle fitter explain fit differences, and I couldn't believe how much better it was. You don't need to buy an antares, but just try one, so you'll understand the feel you want.

Sellefrancais
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
My old saddle is an Antares, I love it! I have never had this problem... I would give anything for the Antares saddles to fit my filly, unfortunately we had an antares dealer out and her wither is just too long for them :( We had to go with the Jaguar (for now) because of her shape, I am praying as she fills out I can get into something else ! I would kill for her to be an Antares horse !

I am going to pay attention to my knee tomorrow when I hack her to see ! thank you for the advice!

eventer_mi
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
If you aren't in the position to buy a new saddle, have you thought of a seat saver as a temporary fix? It should help until you can figure out a more permanent solution.

Sellefrancais
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:01 PM
actually I hadnt but thats an excellent idea! especially until the saddle breaks in. I just spent a few grand on the saddle so I'd like to give it a fair chance and pray it breaks in a little comfier!

hollyhorse2000
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
Naw, won't change IMHO and IME. May be twist, may also be seat size. Might also be balance (are you banging against the pommel because you're fighting to stay back?)

Lots of saddle would work for you. this is where the saddle shopping and research saga begins. It's a pain. Try to borrow friends saddles, used saddles on trial, etc., to narrow down what works for you. Then work with a saddle fitter to find what works for your horse.

jn4jenny
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:41 AM
What hollyhorse said. The twist may disagree with your body--or, much more commonly, you need a larger seat size in that model. A lot of the French-type tack with high pommels requires folks to size up in order to avoid this problem.

HJPony
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:03 PM
As a junior I rode a horse that was fit to a Jaguar. I liked the look of the saddle and the leather is worth the money you spent on it. Yet, I disliked the saddle fit as well. The saddle was fit to the owner of the horse, as opposed to my build and therefore I figured it was simply a fit issue. Now it's interesting that you, too, bring this up.

I felt the pommel was built steeper than others, but the horse had a high whither.

Susan P
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
I bought a Harry Dabbs Jaguar, a demo model and leased my horse out with it and she never said it hurt.

rugbygirl
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:57 PM
CWD has a pommel option that solves this problem...I think the one that I found comfy was the "wide?" Anyway, the other variation was intolerable!

I think there are seat options on the Jaguars too...once you're in that price range for saddles, you really don't want to have one that isn't perfect for you. They don't really break in, IME.

KBC
Mar. 28, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sellefrancais, meet TheInvernessProblem.:D

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35083&highlight=inverness+problem

TG for that, AT LAST I know what the Inverness problem is, and how it came to be labelled....I had kind of worked out the issue, but could never work out why Inverness.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

PaintPony
Mar. 28, 2012, 04:20 PM
That thread is classic...but sad too.

At least 2 of the posters on it have since passed away. :cry:

Linz
Mar. 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
When I had this problem, it was because the seat size was too small

KBC
Mar. 28, 2012, 05:16 PM
It is a classic thread, and a real shame that some of the people have since passed.

It is very satisfying though to read the plea from poor Inverness

Can I persuade ya'll ladies to refrain from referring to this delicate condition as, "The Inverness Problem?" The term "Dressage Crotch" is much more appropriate don't you think?

I'm not terribly anxious to be forever remembered on this BB for injuries to the "community property."

A plea made over 11 years ago, but obviously made in vain, as it lives on still, and has also been mentioned on the Equestrian Live Journal, and ManeStreet.

:lol::lol:

SaddleFitterVA
Mar. 29, 2012, 12:14 AM
ROFL! I just talked to Inverness yesterday! I'll have to remind her of the old thread!:lol: