PDA

View Full Version : What saddle are you using?

KarenC
Dec. 30, 2004, 06:48 AM
Just curious as to what type of tack you are using, as most of us on this board prefer English style saddles.

I was riding in a Bob Marshall sport saddle, but needed something with more support (I have an old injury that causes muscle spasms on my right side). I just tried and feel in love with a Duett companion trail saddle -- and it actually FITS my horse (miracle of miracles). Since the weather has been horrid, I haven't been able to test drive it on the trail, but I'm really looking forward to the first trail ride in it -- the seat is very comfortable!

I also have a Zilco bit hanger (instead of the more traditional halter/bridle combos that I always found cumbersome) that I absolutely love. I just strap it on over a regular leather halter and I'm ready to go.

KarenC
Dec. 30, 2004, 06:48 AM
Just curious as to what type of tack you are using, as most of us on this board prefer English style saddles.

I was riding in a Bob Marshall sport saddle, but needed something with more support (I have an old injury that causes muscle spasms on my right side). I just tried and feel in love with a Duett companion trail saddle -- and it actually FITS my horse (miracle of miracles). Since the weather has been horrid, I haven't been able to test drive it on the trail, but I'm really looking forward to the first trail ride in it -- the seat is very comfortable!

I also have a Zilco bit hanger (instead of the more traditional halter/bridle combos that I always found cumbersome) that I absolutely love. I just strap it on over a regular leather halter and I'm ready to go.

prudence
Dec. 30, 2004, 08:02 AM
I ride in a Passier dressage saddle (PS Baum) that now has a nice sheepskin cover on it. My daughter uses a Circle Y western-style -but hornless- endurance saddle. The western and endurance saddles are good because you can dangle all sorts of things from the rings. So I make her carry stuff. We don't use breast plates even though we ride alot in mountainous areas since our horses came with withers. On rides I put the bridle over a halter and tie a rope around my horse's neck mecate-style so I am ready to trot out and tie at a vet stop on my own.

Phaxxton
Dec. 30, 2004, 08:25 AM
Right now I ride in a Crosby Prix St. Georges Soft Ride saddle and I also have an older wintec saddle, too.

I have never owned an endurance or trail saddle, but I have ridden in the Wintec endurance saddle. I absolutely loved it. Even before I had any interest in endurance riding, I wanted one just for schooling and trails (but with regular irons, not endurance stirrups).

MissBri
Dec. 30, 2004, 08:32 AM
I have an American Saddlery endurance (western no horn) saddle that I mainly ride in now, and also a Kieffer all purpose dressage Aachen. I used to ride in just the Keiffer, but about 6 years ago got a deal on a new endurance saddle. I love all the ties and clips, and although heavier than the Keiffer, it seems pretty well balanced on my girl. She knows when the trail saddle comes out, it's all for trails, when the Keiffer comes out, could be ring work or to give a lesson.

Halcyon Days
Dec. 30, 2004, 10:57 AM
ugh, the great saddle search. :P I've ridden endurance for 8 yrs now, have been through a Klimke, Stubben and Smith Worthington--all excellent saddles, but needed more weight bearing surface area (I ride as a heavyweight) for the 50 mile distances. I've had a Ortho-flex which was great for some horses, but made others VERY sore, borrowed a Marciante which I really liked, then rode in a aussie Longreach Endurance--loved it till my horse muscled up, changed shape and then it didn't fit anymore. Finally, a couple years ago, in a fit of desperation I ordered the Bob Marshall (treeless) endurance saddle and have used it on everyone ever since. Wow, what a nice ride! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I actually won a Best Condition award the first ride I went to after getting that saddle. I was told that it was a poor choice for heavyweight riders, but have not found that to be true, I've ridden that saddle on a bunch of 50's, never had a sore back--and don't see the chiro much anymore! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Dalriada
Dec. 30, 2004, 11:12 AM
We ride in Stubben's APs or a Passier close contact.

We do have a McLellan clone but it suspends you too far away from the horse's back to make it a safe ride on a spooky horse. It's a great saddle on the right horse, just not the one I am riding currently.

prudence
Dec. 30, 2004, 11:13 AM
I actually once rode a 100 miler in a park saddle and penny loafers. Sort of a spur of the moment thing...

pattiann
Dec. 30, 2004, 01:34 PM
http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Penny loafers!??

I'm impressed! (Of course, I get actual chafing pains when I hear about the "old timers" riding in jeans.)

Hub and I have three/four saddles in rotation at the moment (someone is always growing in or out of one) for the three horses:

Bob Marshall Endurance
Arabian Saddle Company Solstice
Campbell Paragon
Albion Style Ultra

All with EZ ride stirrups!

--Patti

bewitchedarabians
Dec. 30, 2004, 02:15 PM
I ride in a Wintec 500 AP or a Dakota Arabian western saddle right now (just trail riding). What I WANT though is a Tucker Endurance! OMG!!! My friend let me borrow her's twice before, and that is undoubtedly the most comfortable saddle that I've ever ridden in and my horse thought the same! It was as if it had been custom made for both me & my horse, and it wasn't even my saddle, lol! So, once I get my truck paid off in about 6 or 7 months, maybe I can put that money (or most of it) away each month to start saving up to buy one.
Bits, I just use a snaffle for any of my horses, either an eggbutt or a dee-ring. Now that I'm feeling good/confident in my horse, I'll probably go ahead and start ridng him out on the trails in my The Bitless Bridle---he's fine in it, I just hadn't been confident enough til now to go ahead and trust him that he'll stay fine in it outside on the trails in "the real world"

situpandride
Dec. 30, 2004, 02:37 PM
I have a collegiate jumping saddle that I did 50's in and use for trail riding, I tried all kinds of saddles except for western. I had a wintec all purpose but it didn't fit my horse, had a stubben dressage saddle, didn't fit me. I know jumping saddles are not the most comfortable but it fit me and the horse I was riding. It has a soft seat.
I did not use a bit, either a halter or a hackamore, rope reins.

lawndart
Dec. 30, 2004, 03:16 PM
I have a Abetta endurance that I like a lot because it is lightweight, fits the horse, and the stirrup will swing backward far enough so I can touch the hindquarters with my foot still in the stirrup, and forward far enough that I can touch the shoulders. Great on those low brushy trails. However, after about 4 hours my hindquarters go numb.

When I rode Peruvians, the saddle that fit them the best was my Wintec AP, and was actually very comfy for me as well. Does not fit my current horse as well, and I'm saddle shopping.

Have heard good things about both the Bob Marshall trail saddle, and the Tuckers, but my goodness soo much $$$$$. I just trail ride so justifying that much money is hard.

bewitchedarabians
Dec. 30, 2004, 03:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawndart:
Have heard good things about both the Bob Marshall trail saddle, and the Tuckers, but my goodness soo much $$$$$. I just trail ride so justifying that much money is hard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lawndart, I know what you mean and can totally relate...all I can say though, is that once you ride in one, oh my! I've never been one to invest a lot in tack, but I WILL in the next year or so have myself that Tucker I want! One ride in an excellent quality saddle will make one see the truth in the saying "you get what you pay for"! It certainly sold me! I will have no regrets in spending the money, if and when I ever get enough saved up to buy it, lol!

Dec. 30, 2004, 04:01 PM
On dry rides I use a passier. On wet I'll use the Terminator (my 'haunted' Whippy)

Trakehners2000
Dec. 30, 2004, 09:02 PM
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I use an Ortho-flex Patriot, also use breast collar-(with sheepskin on the collar, sheep skin girth & carry sponges, I found that putting more than 1 sponge in the net works best, as it gets more water and is heavier, so it soaks up more water as you move on...and we use a pinchless bit.</span>

Prairie
Dec. 30, 2004, 09:19 PM
I trail ride with a Circle Y Flex Tree Lite trail saddle. I find it very comfy and like the way it looks too. I have two friends that I ride with a lot. One rides in a Bob Marshall and the other in a Tucker. I've tried both their saddles, and still prefer mine. The BM (treeless) feels very different from horse to horse. The Tucker is comfortable, but I don't feel secure at all in it.

kcr
Dec. 31, 2004, 05:02 AM
I ride in an Ansur classic dressage saddle and have just purchased a Barefoot Treeless (because my Ansur doesn't have D-rings). Haven't ridden in the Barefoot enough yet to know if I'll like it on trail or not. So far, on piddlin' rides around the paddock it's been comfortable. We'll see how if feels after 10 miles of trotting come spring!

situpandride
Dec. 31, 2004, 07:06 AM
I've been wondering about the ansur, i tried my friends and loved it but haven't gone on any long rides with my current horse, she is a widebody morgan with no withers and it seemed very comfortable on her, the problem i see is her back is slightly swayed also, I wouldn't want to do any thing ike 50's with her and am aiming for 25 ctr's at the most, does barefoot treeless have a website

prudence
Dec. 31, 2004, 07:10 AM
Go to endurance.net and search for "treeless." They have alot of vendors who list on that site. Also, go to ridecamp at the same address and browse the archives for "treeless." Lot of opinions; the search results are a little hard to read though.

arabhorse2
Dec. 31, 2004, 07:17 AM
I ride in a Wintec 2000 AP. Just bought it in February, and I LOFF it. I also added the Sprenger jointed stirrups, and my ankles feel so much better now.

I also have an older (15 y/o) Wintec AP that I still use for trail riding on occasion. It's a nice saddle and very comfortable, although it's flatter than the 2000. I wanted a higher pommel and cantle for those "come to Jesus" hills! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif

Since I do distance riding (15-25 miles), I like a comfortable saddle. I may invest later in a good endurance saddle, but for now the Wintecs fit my needs.

alabama
Dec. 31, 2004, 10:18 AM
I ride in an old Circle Y calf roping saddle. It's really comfortable but very heavy. I also have an Abetta endurance that I like pretty well but it has too much swing in the stirrups for my taste.

prudence
Dec. 31, 2004, 10:37 AM
For situpandride:

barefoot treeless (http://www.loristack.com)

bpatp5066
Dec. 31, 2004, 02:10 PM
When I want to just "float" down the trail, I drag out my old Abercrombie Triple T endurance saddle. Gives me a lot of support (my 2 point in my passier leaves a lot to be desired). I can let my horse trot down the trail, and I just stand in the stirrups and float, and don't interfere with the horse at all. Not the most comfortable saddle for the rider, but my horse never had a sore back, even after the l00's. Of course, it was a real challenge later in life when I started having to sit in a saddle for the trot and canter work of dressa http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gifge.

EBO
Jan. 1, 2005, 03:43 PM
I have a Reactor Panel endurance model which is very comfortable for me. My elder is now retired so I'll be using it on my youngster. It has the "ears" (big thigh blocks like on an aussie) which keep you in place in case some killer leaf happens to fall onto the trail.

Barnfairy
Jan. 1, 2005, 06:22 PM
It depends.

I usually ride Sandy in a Wintec 2000, especially if I'll be doing any galloping/jumping.

For better weight distribution longer rides, I use a no-name (literally! There's not a single identifying mark on it!) endurance/western saddle. It came along with a horse I bought/rescued many years ago. It is very lightweight, has a suede seat, and nylon "stirrup leathers" instead of fenders. I've never seen another saddle like it.

helen elizabeth
Jan. 1, 2005, 07:31 PM
I was thinking about Circle Y's trail saddles. But I have thoroughbreds....

Piaffe56
Jan. 3, 2005, 07:08 AM
My husband and I both ride in Schleese Jes advanced all purpose with the Flaire. We love them!! We had to go to a Schleese custom saddle because his horse is a barrel shaped QH and every other saddle just slid around on him. I liked my husband's saddle so much that I had to buy one too.

A. P.
Jan. 3, 2005, 09:37 AM
I ride in a Wintec Pro Endurance. My only complaint it that the stirrups are hung a bit too far forward, making it hard not to ride with a 'chair' seat, but other than that, I like it. I have yet to ride in an endurance ride, but hope to one day.

ChocoMare
Jan. 3, 2005, 11:23 AM
Oh KarenC! I'm with you: Duett all the way!!!! I have the Rondo 2 AP and LOFF IT.

It fit my Percheron when I first got her and now it fits my Clyde/S'bred X even better. Uber comfortable, soft and centered. I'm so glad it fit Penny because I didn't want to sell it.

Rode for two hours on the Silver Comet Trail Friday and felt great.

FifteenOne
Jan. 3, 2005, 07:44 PM
I ride in both a Pessoa A/O and a Wintec 500. I prefer the Wintec for trail riding - it's nice & secure and it if gets wet/dirty all I have to do to clean it is hose if off! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

alexisonfire
Jan. 3, 2005, 07:56 PM
Would an australian saddle work? I normally ride dressage, but I was thinking that the Australian saddle was the closest thing to my Stubben Schultheis - with a little "extra" for holding me in when my half-arab gets flitty. Just wondering, since I didn't see anyone else mention them.

IronwoodFarm
Jan. 4, 2005, 04:33 AM
I really lucked out last fall and got a used Abetta in VERY GOOD condition for $100 at the local equine rescue tack sale. I was not planning on buying a saddle nor do I specifically do endurance riding. However, I do breed Norwegian Fjords, which are from the wide back/no withers line of equines. This saddle just looked like it would fit and it did. Besides -- at $100 it was screaming "buy me, buy me, buy me!".

I like it because it is lightweight. I do use it for training young stock. It's also fun to ride in on the trail. So I am pleased with it. And now, finally, I know how to cinch up a Western style girth! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Who says we English riders can't learn a few new tricks! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

prudence
Jan. 4, 2005, 06:44 AM
Here is an interesting survey of saddle, pad, stirrup, shoe, etc. types used on the 1999 Tevis Cup Ride.

1999 tevis tack (http://www.foothill.net/tevis/tacksurvey99.htm)

chicamuxen
Jan. 4, 2005, 07:09 AM
I ridden in a BM SS for years and have a Torsion treeless as a back-up saddle. I really want to find an all-purpose english that is either treeless or flexible. I find the two saddles that I have to be awkward for getting your leg on your horse and having ridden in english saddles for 40 years I really crave getting back into one.

Bonnie S.

onyxmoonshadow
Jan. 6, 2005, 06:06 AM
I have a barn new custom Synergist saddle and
a Equipad (http://www.equipedic.com/). I also ride in just a sidepull. I ride a 16hh
pinto/arab

Reginapony
Jan. 22, 2005, 04:00 PM
I am a recreational trail rider. I use a Smith-Worthington Endurance Maxx trail saddle. It is an English all purpose saddle that leans towards dressage, and it has a bunch of brass dee rings if I want to take everything and the kitchen sink with me.

I had it custom made to fit my QH and myself in 1997, and recently had it redone to fit my Peruvian mare. I use the nylon E-Z Ride stirrups with the cages, and pre-stretched buffalo hide stirrup leathers. I like the stiffness of the buffalo leathers. I put synthetic fuzzy halter tubes that fit on the crown piece of a leather halter on my stirrup leathers to keep them from pinching.

As far as a bridle, I use a basket weave, cross over brow band Cowboy tack bridle with a mullen mouth Peruvian bit and Peruvian romal reins. my mare looks really spiffy in her bridle. If I need a halter under my bridle, I use a rope halter.

I don't mind using leather tack because I clean it after every ride. I do use a PVC neoprene humane style dressage girth that can be just hosed off. Peruvians are really great at kicking up mud and sand onto their bellies, so a leather girth would be ruined in no time. I would like to try a string girth, but my mare might get rubs if she kicks sand on to it.

CanterQueen
Mar. 8, 2005, 11:32 AM
It's Bob Marshall Sport Saddles for me! I have an endurance and a trail model -- wouldn't trade them for anything. I've used them on a fat little low withered QH, and my high-withered paint. Never had one slip, and oohhh so comfy. I was able to order a skirt size appropriate for my short legs (I'm only 5' tall, and this has been a big problem on some saddles). And as far as cost goes, I think they're reasonable new, but eBay always has one or two for sale used -- I actually purchased my first BM endurance model on eBay. Can't say enough good things about them. I've even "converted" a few of the gals at my barn.

barbarachloejosie
Mar. 8, 2005, 11:39 AM
there is the sweetest synergist saddle on the endurancenet classifieds that is calling my name. great price, and comes with all access. I deserve it, I do.

Barbara

WildBlue
Mar. 12, 2005, 05:56 AM
Alexisonfire-

I've ridden in a dozen or so borrowed Aussie saddles, most with the stirrups replaced with English leathers. I don't recall manufacturers marks--they were all used and from different sources.

I really liked a couple of the Aussie saddles that had great balance and were very comfortable--rode very much like a good AP English saddle, but with the bucking rolls on the front.

The others sucked rotten eggs. Very uncomfortable, the seat tipped you forward into the bucking rolls, the stirrup bars were too far forward, etc.

So, if you're considering one, do make sure you can get it on trial. Also, make sure you can get on and off easily--that's where most people get hung up and have trouble.

Considering that one of my favorite saddles is a TB exercise saddle (literally about just a tree with a scrap of leather and stirrups), I don't like how trapped I feel in an Aussie and didn't get one. I would, however, pick one up in a heartbeat if I was mounting someone who needed a bit more saddle to be comfortable.

EBO
Mar. 12, 2005, 10:47 AM
I have an almost new Reactor Panel endurance model that I bought some years ago for my older Arab. I'm pretty sure it will do nicely on my youngster.

I'm surprised that more people aren't using them. Do you think it's price (I got a discount) or the trouble to fit it in the first place, or that few people actually know about them?

War Admiral
Mar. 13, 2005, 05:29 PM
I don't do endurance, I just trail ride, but we have some pretty rough terrain. So I feel much more comfortable and safer in my old Kieffer Munchen with the knee rolls out to HERE and a nice deep seat to help me stay balanced when we're scrabbling for a purchase on steep hills.

mustangrider
Mar. 14, 2005, 02:31 PM
I ride in a Crates Flex Tree Trail Saddle. My QH loves it and he's very hard to fit. The mustang wears a Slim Sheppard & Sons custom that I bought off of Ebay. It fits him like a glove. I use a SaddleRight pad and use a plain Mylar comfort snaffle on the QH and a Mylar snaffle with a roller for the mustang. I use a breastcollar and crupper on both.

BTW, Does anyone know anything about Slim Sheppard saddles? They're out of CA if that makes a difference.

ChocoMare
Mar. 30, 2005, 12:32 PM
Hey KarenC...have you gotten to ride yet in your Duett Companion? Would love to hear the tale http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

beausgirl
Mar. 31, 2005, 05:18 AM
Stubben cutback with a tush cush, love it...

KarenC
Mar. 31, 2005, 05:47 AM
Chocomare, I am LOVING the Duett. Sat throw a tantrum on my mare this week in it, and it was the first time I was able to ride through it instead of hopping off. As much as I love it for myself, though, I'm most happy with how it fits my horse. In fact, I'm in the market for a second one - my little tubby mare is on an insulin resistant diet and has lost almost a 100 pounds... I think she's going to end up being a 32 inch tree.

ChocoMare
Mar. 31, 2005, 06:27 AM
KarenC: I figured! http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

I loff my Rondo II soooo much. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Freebird rode Penny (my Clyde/S'bred X) in it when she came for moral support the weekend my app was put down. Even though it was big for her little tush (it's an 18), she said she still felt deeply secure in it. Couldn't believe it was only a few months old, considering how soft and supple it is.

When we find a draft/draftX for the hubby, I'll definitely be buying him a Companion Trail saddle.

Raven
Apr. 12, 2005, 06:54 PM
&gt;&gt; What I WANT though is a Tucker Endurance! OMG!!! My friend let me borrow her's twice before, and that is undoubtedly the most comfortable saddle that I've ever ridden in and my horse thought the same!

Hello...I have a Tucker Endurance Saddle for sale, if you are interested, please contact me at darkhorsegoddess@aol.com Raven

fawnmare
Apr. 23, 2005, 09:38 PM
After 13 years with Sport Saddles, successfully, I realized what I believe to be a big design flaw in that rigid pommel. I currently have 3 horses who are too wide at the withers,and the pommel was digging in at the sides. I loved these saddles, but they were able to work as I did not have horses with a prominent spine; I have seen some extremely bad spine rubs from the sport saddles as they have no kind of a gullet. Even with equipedic or skito pads with inserts that raised them a bit off the spine, it was not enough. It took my poor 5 year old mare who started getting really grumpy when I put the sport saddle on, for me to start checking, and realize I could not get
my hand under the saddle at the sides of the pommel They DO NOT fit all horses.....

So I went to Reactor Panel saddles, which have a terrific flexible panel system that leaves the spine free....her grumpy behavior ended
Karen