PDA

View Full Version : What is your 4 year olds doing?

Fharoah
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:56 PM
What training is your four year old hunter prospects doing at this time?

Thanks in advance!

cmcrill
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
I have a nice dutch/TB gelding coming 4 in May. He walks, trots, canters and jumps crossrails at a trot and canter. He does leg yielding, backs up and does turns on the forehand. He's pretty immature, I won't push him, but would like him cantering small courses by the end of the summer. I'm an amateur so I'm sure he could do more in a pro's hands, but it's ok, I'm not in a rush. I saw a previous post about what people are doing with their 3 year olds and was quite impressed at how much they were capable of. Each one is different mentally and physically though so I don't think anyone should really expect too much at this age.

Rel6
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
I have a four year old OTTB (officially five according to the Jockey Club, but he's got a very late birthday in June.) Its a little different with an OTTB versus a complete greenie since we have to work on getting rid of some of the old habits (slow canter? whats that?) He's also only had about 3/4 months of hunter jumper training, and only about a month with me.

But my guy right now has a very consistent walk/trot, leg yields pretty well, nice bend, and a really relaxed way of carrying himself. He'll poke his nose out and trot around the ring on a loose rein with me legging every stride. He'll frame for a few moments on a circle or leg yield if I really push with my leg but I wanted him to really relax and stretch down before we asked him to go on the bit. His canter is coming along. He's great about picking up his leads, and his left lead canter is pretty nice. He bends well, is rate-able and responsive (most of the time) and relaxed. To the right he's still stiffer but its getting there. His upward transitions in general are very good, although he still relies on a voice command in addition to leg for the canter (but he canters right off with no trot steps most of the time.) His downward transitions are better but still a little sloppy. He is very very brave over fences and he has a great natural eye. He's trotting and cantering cross rails and verticals, and he's also done some small cross country jumps. He's got pretty much an auto swap after the fences and most of the time lands on the lead.

PNWjumper
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:39 PM
I never know how to answer these questions concisely and without background, so here's the background. My boy is a 4 1/2 year old Holsteiner (July 2007 baby). I started him just prior to his 3rd birthday and spent 90 days on him (which ended with 3 days of jumping in a clinic setting) before turning him out to pasture. I worked with him for a few months last summer/fall, took him to his first couple one-day schooling shows, got around a 3'3" jumper course, and then turned him back out for the winter again. I just started him back up a few weeks ago and am thrilled that he picked up right where we left off. He'll tag along with my other horses to his first show in mid-April and the plan is to put him in the 1.0m (3'3") jumpers.

So not a hunter prospect, but since he hasn't shown in anything at a rated show yet I figure I can't call him a jumper yet either :lol:

At home we focus mostly on going in a forward stretchy frame and staying straight. We're doing some leg yielding, serpentines, and just starting some shoulder-in work, and spend maybe 1 lap around the ring in a collected(ish) frame. I need to pick up my lessons with my dressage trainer again, but that doesn't seem to happen most years until we get to a slightly less wet time of year.

babecakes
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:52 PM
What is your 4 year olds doing?

My four year olds is schooling. Learning grammar. Then learning editing. After that they write long winded advice to topics on this forum. :lol:

springer
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:02 AM

My four year olds is schooling. Learning grammar. Then learning editing. After that they write long winded advice to topics on this forum. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

THIS. And to that I would add... Please tell us, OP, that english is your second language! (Otherwise, I have just lost all faith in the US educational system.)

Fharoah
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:29 AM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

THIS. And to that I would add... Please tell us, OP, that english is your second language! (Otherwise, I have just lost all faith in the US educational system.)

Sorry, no English is my first and only language. Actually I have fancy hunter prospect turning four in May just going back into training and was wondering how others were school there four year old's are up to. At what age do most show there baby green season?

bhrunner06
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:06 AM
I have a 4 year old that is in his Baby Green year now. He hacks out in the field, jumps courses, flats super, and is off to a Peter Leone Clinic in a few weeks

Pennywell Bay
Mar. 27, 2012, 08:02 AM
Sorry, no English is my first and only language. Actually I have fancy hunter prospect turning four in May just going back into training and was wondering how others were school there four year old's are up to. At what age do most show there baby green season?

My girl turns 4 in May. W/T/C. She has a natural lead change (yeah for me). She goes to little schooling shows to tool around. She'll be at YH at Devon. She has jumped little itty bitty just to break up her routine. She hacks around outside the ring, trailers everywhere. Basically getting her as much exposure as I can w/o frying her brain.

We always keep in mind she's a baby. It is easy when they are such solid citizens to forget..

I'm not in a hurry w/ her. Just enjoying her good brain and good looks!

LucyGoose
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:33 AM

LOL I was waiting for someone to comment on the grammar! :lol:

Sellefrancais
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
My filly is coming 4 in May, in December I put 60 days on her, walk/trot/canter and bopped over a few tiny jumps. I gave her a few months off and am just starting her at walk again with a little trot working on light lateral work and stretching her topline.

kbear
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
My 4yo TB is currently learning to use his back & hind end, plus other basic flat work. Rounding up at the canter was a bit of an issue with him, but last week he decided it is much easier than fighting, and is now quite lovely at the canter.
He is jumping small courses (with flower boxes and gates) - we usually only jump once every 2 weeks or so - sometimes the gap between jump schools is longer. We haven't gone above 2'6 or so, but if you saw the pic I posted of him a while ago, he is definitely capable of going higher! (here is the pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bugzar/6841188470/in/photostream)

I'm basically trying to make everything simple and fun, so he keeps the amazing mind he has. He has never stopped, no matter what we put under the jumps, and has been relatively willing with each new concept we introduce to him.

Just this past weekend he was carting around my 4 year old nephew...I have also taught a beginners lesson on him. He was bought as a sales project, but it is definitely going to be hard for me to let him go. He is a saint!

lachevaline
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:56 PM
Actually I... was wondering how others were school there four year old's are up to.

...what.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 27, 2012, 02:02 PM
Ours is having a foal.

JukeboxHero
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
Mine is turning 4 "physically" in May, but "techincally" he's four, so.

Right now I'm working with him at home on the dressage training scale, introducing him to moving off my leg in various ways, introducing him to truly getting on the bit (his old owners only taught him to "frame up"), continuing to work with calvettis, and as of last week, we're throwing in an occasional 18" crossrail, maybe about one per week at the most. I'm also trying to throw in a couple things to assist with learning flying changes much farther down the road, and we do bending exercises at the walk each ride. Our main concern is straightness and clean transitions.

At shows, he does a w/t division with three classes that's about the easiest, lowest-level class our show offers, and occasionally an extra w/t green horse/rider class. Once we accidentily (long story, haha) entered a green horse/rider w/t/c eq. class and a green horse/rider w/t/c HUS class, too, and he did surprisingly well in them. So far we've been to three shows, and have gotten two Reserves and a Champion.

Sorry, I know I'm just bragging now, I'm just really, really proud of him!

P.S. I've had a couple people (not my trainer, random people at shows and people I tell about him) tell me this is too much for a three year old, but he takes it all very well, does it all very well, and I haven't done any of this without making sure he's plenty ready first.

Midwest girl in an East coast world
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
My 4 YO mare is currently in a four day a week program with my trainer. Short sessions, working on transitions, using herself properly, learing to accept small amount of contact--good flatwork. She's cantered poles and jumped a few crossrails, but nothing too significant.
She went to her first schooling show under saddle a couple weeks ago (she's a hunter breeding graduate so this was no big deal) and we're aiming her for a few more young hunter flat classes and then YH at Devon!
Overall, as great as she is, it's about baby steps: sometimes they're forward and sometimes there's one or two back, but it's been so much fun to watch her figure it all out! I'm fortunate that she's just for me, so we're in no hurry.

pryme_thyme
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:19 PM
My 4y/o DWB X mare (April), is currently working on reaching for contact rather than balancing on me, basic lateral work to help her stretch out and lift her back, transitions within the gate to help her learn to 'sit' and push, started over fences once a week and is great with 2' and under, 2'3 and up catches her off guard and she gazelle's a bit yet, raised trot poles, walk/halt-canter, turn on forehand and haunches....

Flying changes are at about 80%.

At this point I am not searching for perfection. I want effort and a quiet mind.
Sadly, I believe she is destined to be a DQ and not my little hunter-princess, so we are looking to rehome :(

FLIPPED HER HALO
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
I didn't breed for a hunter - I bred for an eventer/jumper, but my 4 year old (April) was started when he turned 3 for 90 days. We spent the rest of summer/fall trail riding and some light arena work. Winter he has just been a pasture puff who gets ridden once or twice a month on trail or some light arena work. He is so easy going you can not have been on him for a month, pull him out of pasture and hop and and go. Love him!

He went back into training this month and has been started over fences now that he is turning 4. It's wonderful to see them progress and grow up. He is bold and likes the challenges of the jumps, as long as they are over 2' or he just trots them like we are wasting his time. We are aiming for his first show in April.

RodeoHunter
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:02 PM
I have a 4 y/o (well, 4 in May) Oldenburg who was started in August of last year. We are now jumping baby courses with simple changes - we are not pushing the changes yet but he has done a few full changes. Starting baby shoulder-in and other lateral work. Focusing on smooth, clean transitions without falling apart in front. He is awesomely balanced and probably one of the easiest horses I've ridden, so this has been really fun work for me because I actually see a result.

He is starting to get to that........cheeeeeeeky 4 year old stage that I hear about. So much fitter and stronger than even 3 months ago and is looking like a real horse rather than a baby - so he's starting to formulate adolescent-type plans when I don't keep him focused enough ;)

He will hopefully debut in the baby greens at some point this summer and then the baby weenie adults with me later. I'm in no rush so I will probably wait until the weather is warm enough to just hack around at some of the spring shows.

This is my first baby that I have done most of the work on and I'm totally hooked :)

horsedoggirl
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:20 PM
Oh my gosh! My 4(In May) year old has had someone on him 3 times. He lunges like a pro but he's only ever walked undersaddle with a leader. I did that much in November and then December-May he's on vacation with light lunging. But mainly we just do ground work. He's MASSIVE with MASSIVE bones. One of his knees is starting to close a little bit but both of them are way too open! Can't believe some of you are already clocking around courses! Hopefully we'll mature a little bit so we can catch up!

LoveJubal
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:23 PM

punctuation, grammar, verb tense, and spelling (http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343259&highlight=defiantly) - Oh my!

SMK
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:27 PM
My 4 YO in May has been concentrating on flat work. He's only popped over fences a few times, cross rails and some small verticals. He likes it, but he's still growing a bit, so I'll stick to once a month or so for now, though he's done some free jumping once. For flat work, he's schooling lengthenings, shortenings, leg yields, simple changes, shoulders in and haunches in well, and starting a bit on half pass and flying changes. He's a good sport about everything, and we're really just trying to keep things fun and working on good connection and a fair amount of long and low. I do sometimes feel like we're far behind as far as jumping goes!

RodeoHunter
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:35 AM
I should mention that we don't jump my horse very much - maybe a couple of times a month and for the first few months it was just hopping over random boxes, cross poles, etc. It's only really in the last month or so that we are starting to be able to string some jumps together.

Crown Royal
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
My Thoroughbred will be four on April 3rd or 4th (have to check his papers). He is kept at home on our small farm without a ring or trails and it is extremely flat and low so it's frequently way too wet to ride (think, leaving huge deep hoof prints). So as of now, he's not really in a set program and gets taken out at every opportunity (as of now, once or twice every week or two).

He has been on a walk trail ride with a buddy and was very quiet and forward about the whole thing- including crossing a small stream.

He walks and trots pretty steadily with either very light or steady contact on the reins. He will have very short moments of collection at the trot when I really ask. For now we are just trotting with light contact and he's starting to figure out how to relax into that- I'm trying to encourage long and low.

He is getting better and better about his transition into the canter and I can get him to have a rounder canter which is nice, but it still needs work on becoming round AND light as well as a bit more rateable. He is a little more difficult to the right.

We are starting to really work on bending (which he does not like) and leg yielding. Also, I am starting to teach him that he can actually move different parts of his body seperately. :lol:

He will trot and canter jumps up to 2'3" verticals so far. When he comes in focused to a 2'3" vertical, it's quite nice. But he has definitely adapted that 4yo attitude I've heard about and hinks he shouldn't have to do certain things if he doesn't want to (such as bending and leg yielding). This attitude has resulted in having to really really really push him straight to the jump (it doesn't help that I only have 8' poles and 3' single standards) or else he tries to slip out of it to the side. Not dirty, and not spooky, but "I don't wanna!". :rollseyes: He will go over anything though- flower boxes, panels, brush, whatever.

No idea if he has a lead change because I've been focusing on getting a more balanced and soft canter on the flat before asking for a flying change, and our riding area is a very skinny rectangle that doesn't leave a very good area to put a jump to allow him to do a change by himself upon landing and turning. We only have room to canter a couple strides and then halt after the jump before turning, no room to canter and turn lol.

He has been to one schooling show over the winter and was quiet and easy for his walk/trot and crossrail class. But he hardly knew anything then (even less than now :lol:).

So essentially, he is quiet and just broke enough that a confident advanced beginner may be able to get on him in a ring and at least walk/trot/steer him on a loose rein. An intermediate could get him to canter (at least on the left lead) in the ring and get him to come down to a stop without guidance as well as trot him over a crossrail. It wouldn't be put together for either, without guidance from a trainer, but he's safe and broke enough that they could. However I wouldn't because it would most likely take away from his training. With a more advanced rider or one under their trainer's guidance, it would be a more steady picture with more relaxed gaits and almost immediate transitions. But this is the type of horse that will most likely end up as a packer as long as he's given good training and experiences until he's very broke and has more mileage.

I'm very proud so far. :)

inquisitive
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:57 PM
Mine will be 4 in July. We're working on getting him in front of my leg in his flatwork (not necessarily through yet) with some lateral work, lots of transitions between and within the gaits, etc. He's jumping small courses of 2'6"ish, again focusing on keeping him in front of my leg and straight, and just went on his second XC school (basic jumps, water, bank, ditch). I am mailing his first starter HT entry tomorrow!

Justice
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:26 AM
I think four is a good time for baby greens. Let them learn to put a course together at the horse show, and they will never notice the water trucks, tents and tractors! If you are a one-horse person like me, this means you will have to move into the 2'6" division if you are brave enough to show your baby at the same time a pro does, and shameless enough to ride in the modifieds. It's okay. They have nice cocktails over there, and they will laugh with you when you make mistakes. There are a lot of ambulances, however, so if your horse has a strong flight response, beware.

Gnomeland
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:24 AM
What ARE your four year oldS doing OR what IS your four year old doing?

:)

S A McKee
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:56 AM
I have a four year old OTTB (officially five according to the Jockey Club, but he's got a very late birthday in June.) Its a little different with an OTTB versus a complete greenie since we have to work on getting rid of some of the old habits (slow canter? whats that?) He's also only had about 3/4 months of hunter jumper training, and only about a month with me.

Your horse is also five for USEF purposes. Makes no difference how late in the year a horse is born.

As a reference, a five year old jumper shows at 1.15M for the Young Jumper qualifiers and up to 1.20M after mid year.

Midwest girl in an East coast world
Mar. 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think four is a good time for baby greens. Let them learn to put a course together at the horse show, and they will never notice the water trucks, tents and tractors! If you are a one-horse person like me, this means you will have to move into the 2'6" division if you are brave enough to show your baby at the same time a pro does, and shameless enough to ride in the modifieds. It's okay. They have nice cocktails over there, and they will laugh with you when you make mistakes. There are a lot of ambulances, however, so if your horse has a strong flight response, beware.

A big *LIKE* from a fellow one-horse baby owner! This will be my experience next year I'm sure!

LockeMeadows
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:01 PM
My coming 4yo just went to her second show (my first time showing in 10 years) and was 2nd, 4th, and 5th in Hunter Pleasure out of 13 horses. :)

Infinite
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:21 PM
What ARE your four year oldS doing OR what IS your four year old doing?

:)

You guys sure are a rough crowd...and I mean all of you not just you Gnomeland. I've never seen this posters previous posts, but they could have been on an iPhone or something. While quite grammatically incorrect, it was actually a minor error that caused it and a different one from title to body so perhaps really just a slip of the fingers. But even if it wasn't, is it ok to humiliate someone for improper grammar when asking a question? Seems a little rough. Ok, back at it...

Rel6
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:26 PM
Your horse is also five for USEF purposes. Makes no difference how late in the year a horse is born.

Oh I know it makes no difference as far as USEF and Jockey club goes. But as far as his maturity level it makes me feel better to think of him as four and a half than five :lol:

foursocks
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:51 AM
My guy will be four at the end of April. He went to a dressage schooling show a few weeks ago and was superb- the judge loved him, even though his eyes were popping out of his head. I backed him last summer, turned him over to one of my trainers in August to install much-needed buttons, and got back on him six weeks later. Last fall he jumped a bit, did lots of forward and lateral work, cavallettis, and went for mini-walks around the farm. He got an easy winter, and the last several weeks of winter off before we brought him back for the little show.

Right now he is doing the same kind of thing- lateral work, cavallettis, trot and canter poles on the ground. We'll start jumping again in May, and I hope to get him to one of the Young Horse Show Series shows in PA, and have him bopping around little courses later in the summer.

He's a very big, wide Dutch WB, which is why I wanted to get him going and comfortable being under saddle when he was still three and hadn't gotten the 4-5 year old attitude yet. But he loves to work and is easy easy easy. I'm taking it slow, but so far he's shown himself to be born to the life- easiest baby I've ever sat on. I'm hoping he'll get me to the high A/O jumpers eventually, but we have a lot of time so right now we're just getting through the growth spurts and figuring out that shadows are not spooky!

foursocks
Apr. 4, 2012, 08:54 AM
As for the grammar stuff- I'm a professor, and this kind of thing stands out to me immediately. I can see bad grammar a mile away! However, I don't live on the forum, I don't get paid by the forum, I don't have to grade the users....so while I may judge, I don't really care.

babecakes
Apr. 4, 2012, 09:46 AM
Grammar and spelling errors really stand out in a title!

There is an edit function. That's what life is about - learning to fix stuff. Not looking back on what you've written, not correcting anything speaks volumes in itself. The poor title screams at me every time I see it. It's sloppy and it's a sloppy attitude and poor presentation of one's self.

Not criticizing for perfection but hoping for improvement. And I probably wouldn't let this person ride my horse, either.

FineAlready
Apr. 4, 2012, 11:40 AM
Not criticizing for perfection but hoping for improvement. And I probably wouldn't let this person ride my horse, either.

Wow! That's a bit extreme! I'm fairly grammar-focused as well, but I don't think someone's prowess when it comes to the English language is indicative of their horsemanship.

Sunny's Mom
Apr. 4, 2012, 12:29 PM
Mine is still hanging out in the field. I started him at 3 at a gentle cowboy, but he's still butt high, so letting him grow up a few more months.

babecakes
Apr. 4, 2012, 03:24 PM
Wow! That's a bit extreme! I'm fairly grammar-focused as well, but I don't think someone's prowess when it comes to the English language is indicative of their horsemanship.

I said that I was "hoping for improvement". If someone can't read their own thread, go back and edit a title -- then go right ahead and let them school 'your' horse! What I said is meant as an analogy to rider education also. I certainly do not mind any accents, speech problems, etc but the dumbing down in America and the nonplussed acceptances of it do bother me. The OP read the comments but doesn't seem to have the class to go back and fix it. I just said that it speaks to itself.