PDA

View Full Version : Show class list question

CSH-Daughter
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
So in the mail the other day I got a class list for a show im going to soon but Im kinda confused on one thing. I want to put my horse in the beginner rider classes because this is her first show in 7 years and she has some emotional baggage when it comes to shows so I just want to start her off nice and easy. I just got her and thats what I was told. Anyways when I look at the class list it looks like this:
28) Beginner Rider Equitation O/F 18"
29) Beginner Rider Hunter 18"
30) Beginner Rider Hunter 18"
and then it goes on from there with other classes. My question is why are there 2 hunter classes? It has it through out the whole show list just at different levels, and i see it all the time on other shows class lists.

Thanks!

Laurierace
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:41 AM
All divisions are made up of two or even occasionally three over fences classes and a hack.

SolarFlare
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
It means there are two separate over-fences classes (judging the horse). Each is pinned separately, so you have two chances to compete. You will probably have two different courses.

This is normal - up here in Ontario most shows will have 2 or 3 over-fences classes per division, and then an under-saddle (hack) after.

Janet
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
Do you have a "Beginner Rider" riding the horse?

joiedevie99
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:41 AM
Equitation O/F 18" is an 18" course judged on the rider.

Hunter 18" will be an 18" course judged on the horse.

There doesn't appear to be an under saddle/flat/hack class.

Janet
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
Equitation O/F 18" is an 18" course judged on the rider.

Hunter 18" will be an 18" course judged on the horse.

OK, but, unless the prize list explicitly says otherwise, the "Beginner Rider Hunter" needs to be ridden by a "Beginner Rider", even though it is the horse being judged.

Lucassb
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Be aware that most "beginner rider" classes will be full of very experienced horses packing their nervous/newbie riders around. The courses will be simple which will help you provide your horse with an easy re-introduction to showing... assuming YOU are eligible for the class. If not, look to see if there is a "green/beginner horse" class instead.

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
Make sure you check your eligibility as a rider-generally these classes are for riders with less than a year of showing under their belts regardless of how experienced (or not) the horses are. The division will be an easy one...because you're competing against kids and true beginners. While it's true that many of them will have packer-type horses while yours is green, it's still pretty bad form to compete in a beginner rider class if you are not a beginner rider.

If you're not a true beginner yourself, regardless of the horse, you need to be in the appropriate division(s) for your level, even if that means doing only the flat class(es).

CSH-Daughter
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
I am eligable for the beginner classes. Don't worry :) I would never be one of those people to fake it and in theory beat out kids that truly are beginners even though i know people that are doing the same classes and arent eligable... I don't show but I'm starting to now and working hard with my mare to get her to enjoy shows again. :)

CSH-Daughter
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:06 PM
Oh so also in theory I could just put my mare in one of the hunter classes if she isn't doing so well but if she is then is it a good idea to put her in both hunter classes?

Janet
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Oh so also in theory I could just put my mare in one of the hunter classes if she isn't doing so well but if she is then is it a good idea to put her in both hunter classes?
Or the other way round. It all depends.

I recently entered Belle in 3 classes of a Jumper division. She did OK in the first class, and perfectly for what I was asking in the second- we finished 2nd put that was beside the point.

I scratched the third class as I had achieved what I wanted.