PDA

View Full Version : Does this saddle fit me?

JumpSnoopy
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:58 AM
I've been shopping for a saddle for a while and have had difficulty finding one that fits my apparently exceptionally long hip-to-knee ratio. I went to the Beval tent at WEF to sit in saddles and was told this is the size I need. Trainer says it's borderline but fine. But because I'm being paranoid about the flap, I was hoping to tap into COTH's experienced eye and see if you all think it does indeed fit. Is my knee too far forward on the flap, or is this okay? Does my leg sit in the right place? Should I stop obsessing and just buy the darn thing already?

Sorry for the link -- I'm not sure how to upload an attachment.

http://i43.tinypic.com/oibz3c.jpg

LTLFLDF
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
If you are at WEF go to all of the vendors and sit in as many saddles as you can.

From my perspective the seat is a little big and the flaps is ok but doesn't allow much room for growth or shortening stirrups. Sometimes when you are just sitting your leg looks different than when you are actually riding. It may be a little better fit when you have your weight in your stirrups.

The seat size being a little big is ok if you feel secure. I have some clients who have the same problem as you and go up a seat size to accommodate the longer thigh length, generally it allows a little more flap in front of the knee.

You also didn't say if custom was in your budget. While I have my favorite, any of the saddle companies should be able to make a saddle with a little more forward flap.

Also look for a saddle with the twist a little further back it may help accommodate your leg better than one that sits you "on top" of the pommel. If custom is out your two options would be to find which saddle you like and the flap that works the best and see if you can find it used or go with the saddle you have on trial since it is ok.

When you sit in the right saddle you will know it.

Star's Ascent
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
I was extremely paranoid about flap fit when I was looking also. It seems like everyone's knee hits about where your's is after looking through the new Practical Horseman and George Morris' jumping clinic with the big kids. I'm not sure if that is technically where your knee is supposed to hit on a saddle or not but my personal preference is for myself its not enough room. I have ridden in saddles where my knee hit there and depending on what I was doing my knee would go over the front edge of the flap. I became paranoid with looking down to see if it was while just trotting around because it felt like it was just about to go over. So my goal with finding a new saddle was to find something where I was completely comfortable. I had a couple Antares that I was comfortable with but I found a Delgrange PJ Lite that I absolutely love! Its a 16.5 but since the Delgrange's tend to run a little small (a 16" seat is more comfortable for me) it's working out ok. The only way I would have been able to go up in seat size more than that would be if it had a deeper seat I would think, otherwise I would swim in it.

alto
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
I've been shopping for a saddle for a while and have had difficulty finding one that fits my apparently exceptionally long hip-to-knee ratio.

Should I stop obsessing and just buy the darn thing already?

Did you actually jump in the saddle? if you lessoned in the saddle, trainer is probably correct in her assesment.

If you feel like the flap is too short, you are likely going to always have that feeling with this saddle, depending on your budget & inclinations, buying this saddle may be a good/poor decision :winkgrin:

bear necessities
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
I am very long from my hip to knee as well despite only being 5'4! What worked best for me was a long flap. Sounds ridiculous but my leg takes up the flap nicely and that way I didn't have to get a seat size that was too big just for more room. Maybe go down a size, but try a long flap. You never know!

Carol Ames
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
Is that the length your leg would normally be at? Looking at your seat; the saddle is borderline, at best:eek:

brightlily
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:27 PM
I would try to find a stock saddle with more forward cut flaps or go custom if you can afford it. I don't have the budget for a custom, so I went with a stock saddle that was marketed as a jumper saddle. It has more forward cut flaps than a close contact, but that's really the only difference. Fits me like a glove, though.