PDA

View Full Version : Neighbors Chopped Down my Tree!

Miss Motivation
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:28 AM
After a recent storm, neighbors' help came onto my property and chopped down a large (18" diameter, 25' tall) tree on my property.

I believe it dropped a branch toward them, but I was never contacted in any way, shape, or form... just saw it was GONE and is on the street waiting for pickup.

We live in an area with small farms near each other; I am aghasted :winkgrin: that anyone would do this.

The property line is known; surveyed by both parties within the last couple years, and in fact, there's a survey marker right by the stump that clearly shows the line... putting the tree on my property.

Anyone have this kind of experience? If the tree was damaged or threatening, then OK, let's discuss it and talk it over, don't just come chop the thing down!

It was located in a vacant-ish area and would not have touched fences, barns, etc of neighbor, I don't think. I sent an email (not acknowledged) and said please talk to me first if something like this happens again.

Not looking for compensation really, just... agog. They also killed some of my landscaping vines I planted on an adjoining fence when they sprayed weeds in the area. Sheesh.

Thanks!

Western
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:00 AM
That really got my Bible-lady back up! Trees are so valuable, so to chop them down unnecessarily is downright sinful! Those neighbors just reduced their clean oxygen availability, too.

JanM
Mar. 26, 2012, 07:05 AM
Actually, the only thing they could chop down were the branches hanging over the property line. And even if the tree was diseased it would still be your responsibility to remove the tree.

Chall
Mar. 26, 2012, 07:19 AM
I'd take this as a possible survey problem not let it slide. Id send them a letter( so you have documentation) then talk to them, nicely, because they may be have been thinking that they were helping you out. It costs money to cut down a tree and they MAY have done it as a favor.
But if you don't say anything, if they dispute the property line in the future they could say you didn't say anything when the tree was cut down.
Yes, it is upsetting though, sorry.

draftdriver
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
I would politely ask them to compensate you by planting a tree of a similar species in that location. A good-sized one, at least 5' tall, not a tiny whip of seedling stock.

Bluey
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:17 AM
I would consult with an attorney, best $ spent, before you get in any trouble with that neighbor.

I would be worried that they choose to trespass and cut a tree in your property.
Better stop this at the gate, see what the laws where you are say and be proactive, before that neighbor gets any other such goofy ideas.:eek:

Any one that would do that is the type to, given an inch, take a mile.:(

pupakin
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
I would be having a long chat with said neighbor about boundries and property lines. As others have said you could end up with a property dispute if, down the road, neighbors claims to have been maintaining the property and can produce invoices to prove it (i.e. bill for tree removal). I just do not understand why some people think it is appropriate behavior or thier right to enter other people's property much less make adjustments to that property. I would suggest putting up no trespassing signs on the perimeter.

I watched the tenant from my neighbor walk over to another neighbors property (behind us) yesterday and chop down some of the bamboo that was growing. He walked right past the well marked survey post like he owned the place (which does not surprise me actually as the people he rents from think they own all the property around here and try to tell everyone else what they can and can not do on thier own property). I know the kid did not have permission to cut the bamboo down as I am pretty good friends with the property owner and they are getting ready to start building.

Ambitious Kate
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yah, I wouldn't let it go as it could set a precident that he is maintaining property he will at some point claim is his, and if you don't dispute it, any judge might see it as aquiescence on your part. Put your complaint in writing, certified letter and talk to them in person. Contact your surveyor and have him come out to discuss and clarify the boundary with you, so its on record what happened and that you are defending your boundaries and the survey you paid for. Also call the cops, and make a report - pretend you have no idea who did it, if you want, just report it, so that any future episodes can be followed up on.

Your neighbor may have done it on purpose, thinking that the cost will pay for its self when he gains rights to the property in the future. Wouodn't be the first time someone did something like that on purpose.

You don't have to sue him, just put your affairs in order and do right by your property and don't let it slide because you don't want to create waves. The wave already washed over your beach, you need to tidy up the mess and make sure no one is unclear about what your position is and what the boundaries are.

Trevelyan96
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:48 PM
I think you really need to have a friendly talk with your neighbor first to be sure it wasn't a contractor error before assuming they deliberately cut down your tree. Depending on the circumstances, either the contractor or the neighbor may be responsible for replacing the tree.

Just don't assume it was deliberate until the neighbor confirms one way or the other.

Kestrel
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
At this very moment, there are bulldozers in my yard removing the landscaping that the neighbor planted without permission. You do need to "clarify" the situation now, before it becomes a further problem.

Reminds me, I need to walk out there and make sure they didn't pull up the survey marker - again. It's a misdemeanor in this state.

suz
Mar. 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
had a similar issue with my neighbor.
he kept mowing and planting stuff just over the property line. he refused to stop and i had to sue for trespass.
i won, he appealed and i won again.
so for the past few years he has had his snow plow guy push salty snow onto the trees which the former owner planted. they have now died and look crappy--no way in hell am i cutting them down!
lol, they are good for the birds so he has to deal with dead trees now instead of living trees.
jerks are jerks the world over i'm afraid.

pupakin
Mar. 26, 2012, 04:28 PM
Reminds me, I need to walk out there and make sure they didn't pull up the survey marker - again.

You have one of those too. Mine thought it was ok to move those things around as she choose also (see above post, neighbor that thinks she owns everythig around here). After I had the last survey done (paid for two cause she kept moving stakes) she came into my yard with a t-post and planted that where she thought the line should be (about 15' inside of my property line). Mind you she had to pass the newly installed 3 foot surveyor stake with the orange surveyor tape on it to do so. I took pictures of the rusty old t-post with the surveyors stake in the backround, pulled the t-post and chucked back over on her property. Promtly put a complete perimeter fence around the place and concreted the surveyor stakes in with the wood posts. Let her try and move them again.

Guilherme
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
If the tree was yours then they committed vandalism, a crime, in cutting it down.

Make a police/sheriff report. Call your insurance company and make a report. Then call the neighbor and ask, nicely, for compensation. If they refuse, then ask the local DA to prosecute.

If there is a boundary issue, be aware that in many states it's a felony to move a survey marker.

They had a right to "trim" branches that "broke their close." They did not have a right to cut down the tree.

Don't let it slide; it will only get worse.

G.

MistyBlue
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
The neighbor's help did it? Do you normally have a decent relationship with the neighbor and/or their help?

If so...and if this wasn't a prized planting..I'd talk to neighbor about it without a big drama and let them know to not do that again. Let them explain their side too...they may have thought they were doing you a favor or made a mistake or whatever.

If the neighbor is a PITA and like my last neighbor...you could always do what I did and scare the living bejeebers out of him and then move. :eek: :lol: :cool:

Our last home was a Wisteria Lane type neighborhood where everyone also knew everyone.
Our buddy-neighbors built a bigger home and sold their home to the neighborhood pains-in-the-butts. Our last winter there we had heavy snow and ice often. We had landscaped clusters of white birches scattered around our backyard and those tend to lay down under heavy loads of ice. They always pop back up again after a melt though.

The PITA husband walks into my backyard, up to a stand of "sleeping" birches and starts hacking them up with a chainsaw!!! I arrived home as he was still working on them. This is the middle of my backyard...he had to CLIMB a fence to get to them! He had the gall to say first, "Oh I thought these were on my property." You climbed a fence! "Well, you just left them lying there and I didn't want to buy wood for the fireplace."

AACCCKKKKK! Neighbor on other side broke up the ensuing battle...I was swinging a snow shovel at him, LOL!
We moved. Or I'd be in jail. :winkgrin:

I hope it's not like that? If so, I can send you my snow shovel. :D

CVPeg
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:38 PM
Huh. Years ago, my ex & I bought the cottage next door to my sister-in-law's mother's. Said cottage had been unoccupied for almost 30 years, but it is lakefront, and of course therefore, the frontage was golden. Took a few years to fix the place up, but we immediately began working on it, and enjoying it in the summer. Since lake is a water source for the village, very strict regs regarding removal of trees close to shore. One of the trees in front, immediately next to the water, annoyed SIL's mother as it didn't allow her a clear view of the far end of the lake. We were asked to 1st cut it down - NO (couldn't anyway because of the regs). 2nd - take all the lower branches off - well, it was our first summer there and we wanted to see what was what before making landscaping decisions. Then miraculously, hummingbirds decided to nest on the lower branches over the lake in that tree that summer! :) No one that I knew had ever seen a hummingbird nest before, and we had several friends, old and new, stop by to see them.

SIL's mother was a very gracious appearing lady, who had numerous visitors every summer due to well known family connections. People were always paying homage to her. I always thought she was so sweet, until one Christmas she told me how she just has the gardener go to the neighbor's behind her house in town, and trim back their lilacs every year because she doesn't like them. The following spring - I showed up at the cottage, and found the hummingbird's tree stripped of all the lower branches. I was livid. Called up SIL to ask her what was going on. Seeing the best defense as being a good offense, she and my brother immediately began to light into ME, saying I was not allowed to say anything to SIL's mother, because she would get upset - even though she had ordered the job! and I should have cut the branches anyway. It became, and still to this day, 15 years later, a bone of contention with their deciding I was the unreasonable one.

Oh, and the same summer, we decided to get a survey done. Heard from the surveyor when it was marked, and found that a beach area they claimed was theirs, was 100% ours, but it was always "shared", so we just continued on. The following week, the markers had been moved (by my brother) to make the beach area all of theirs. Note, cottages were originally built by owner of our cottage, who 50 years before had sold the 2nd one to SILs parents, with the larger of the two being ours. Who would sell off a lake cottage and give the beach area between the cottages away? Then it turned out the surveyor was a friend of my brother's, and when we questioned the moving of the markers, he garbled some response that we were previously mistaken as to their location. This is my home town, but I had been away for years, my ex worked overseas, and my brother became a new prodigal son/political candidate, so everyone thought they could take advantage of us.

But I've never had, nor has anyone else I know, ever seen visible hummingbird nests over the lake since.

Of course the moral of the story, is to never buy property adjacent to your relatives. Especially if you are not in agreement politically!! :rolleyes:

And believe it or not, we do still all treat each other quite well - except, er, for my brother and SIL's still trying to get us to "join" their side. So we don't do dinner that often! ;):lol:

CVPeg
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:41 PM
He had the gall to say "Well, you just left them lying there and I didn't want to buy wood for the fireplace."

AACCCKKKKK! Neighbor on other side broke up the ensuing battle...I was swinging a snow shovel at him, LOL!

OMG!! :eek::lol:

Trevelyan96
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:49 PM

:lol: MB, you always entertain!

ML
Mar. 26, 2012, 07:08 PM
MistyBlue my hero. :)

MistyBlue
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:22 PM
Well my other neighbor pointed out that only a blonde Polak brings a snow shovel to a chainsaw fight. :no:

He's a state cop too. :lol:

I loathed that tree-chopping neighbor. And I get along with almost everybody. But that man...he used to send his children over to swim in my pool when I wasn't home. :eek:
Lawsuit anyone? And he was the type to sue anyone and everyone. And he moved next to me instead of staying on the other side of the neighborhood.

The tree was the last straw.

Miss Motivation...if your neighbor is like my meighbor was...that nasty conniving balding piece of whining dung....then my advise is to whack him with a snow shovel. Multiple times. Shrieking Italian, Polish and Greek swears helps. (I can swear in a lot of languages but am not actually multi-lingual) Helps more if your other neighbor likes you and is a LEO.

If your neighbor is otherwise normal and sane...discuss it with him/her/them. Maybe they noticed the tree was rotten or at risk. Maybe they made a mistake.

But bring a shovel to the discussion...because if he whines, "But I didn't want to pay for firewood" then start swinging!

MistyBlue
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
CVPeg...oh he-ll no...that would've lit me up too.

You need to do the gracious, bless-your-heart right back.

Go over and remove all the shutters from one side of her house.
They look ugly and you're the one who has to look at them.

Smile and send her a home made basket of muffins. :) Blueberry and Dulcolax. :yes: Bring a shovel. ;)

vacation1
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:58 PM
God, I love neighbor threads. I am amazed that anyone would want to cut down a 25' tall tree, let alone someone else's 25' tree. WTH? I'd start low-key, as in going to see them and asking them why they cut down your tree (ie, not calling the cops immediately). But I'd expect it to escalate because, really, CUTTING DOWN SOMEONE ELSE'S 25' TREE???? Nutty. Some people simply can not play well with others.

Funny how some people are so insanely territorial, and how weird they are about it. I've had several experiences of new neighbors suddenly appearing at the fenceline, asking none-too-nicely about where the property line is. No "Hey, I'm Sue and we just moved in! Nice garden!" Just a launch into a veiled implication I've got my fence in the wrong place. If it's that big a deal, go check your deed or check with the town. And get some damn manners while you're there.

rustbreeches
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:59 PM
Where in the he!! do you people find these neighbors? I have never had crazy neighbors (yet) probably just jinxed myself.

Misty Blue, I really want to meet you! And by you a beer, and then hope someone in the bar goes crazy and you cuss and wave a snow shovel. I only know one other good snow shovel story and it has an amazing scar to go with it.

MistyBlue
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
I am amazed that anyone would want to cut down a 25' tall tree, let alone someone else's 25' tree. WTH?

I know, right?

No "Hey, I'm Sue and we just moved in! Nice garden!" Just a launch into a veiled implication I've got my fence in the wrong place. If it's that big a deal, go check your deed or check with the town. And get some damn manners while you're there.

:yes: Yes, agreed!

Where in the he!! do you people find these neighbors? I have never had crazy neighbors (yet) probably just jinxed myself.

LOL, you probably did. ;)
I think that neighbor was my only truly disliked one. I've had plenty of crazy ones, but always managed to get along fine with them. I *always* make a point to go meet and make friends will all nearby neighbors when I move somewhere. "Hi, I just moved in. I'm gonna be your new best friend...whether you like it or not." :cool: Works for me.

So what's your shovel story? :D

ladybugred
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:19 PM
The same thing hapened to a friend of my parents, only the tree was something like 50' tall, and well over 100 yrs old. Turns out the contrctor fouled up, not the neighbour. The neighbours were apologetic, but the 'Rents friends had to get the local news involved to get the contractor to compensate them for the tree.

Maybe that's what happened here?

Good luck

LBR

JanM
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:45 PM
Naughty Misty-it's a federal crime to make muffins with bad stuff in them. I know you already knew that, but it is a fun image isn't it?

I would talk to the neighbors first, figuring it might have been an inexperienced contractor that misunderstood which tree should go, but if not then they would be sorry they were ever born, and would be shelling out for a fully grown tree. You know you can get any size tree transplanted to any location you want, and it's just a matter of a huge amount of money. Making you whole is the term I believe, and you need to have a full sized replacement tree asap. And the neighbors and contractor need to learn an expensive lesson too.

MistyBlue
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
Dulcolax isn't bad. If your neighbor is full of shite, isn't it only polite and neighborly to give them stool softener? :winkgrin: :lol: :winkgrin:

MaybeMorgan
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:59 PM
Please, Lord, save me from "people doing you a favor"! Like the guys who cut my grass, cutting a branch off my tree without asking. Or my neighbor in back "spraying some weeds" which killed most of the vines on MY fence (I really don't want to look at you!) and half my tree. And before that I go out and he's reaching over the fence to cut on my bushes. I just don't get the encroachment mentality where you think you have a right to rearrange my space to your liking.

Kestrel
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:00 PM
Reminds me, I need to walk out there and make sure they didn't pull up the survey marker - again. It's a misdemeanor in this state.[/quote]

Yep, they took it out with the bulldozer. The dirt they've spread for the lawn goes onto our property..... again. DH says if they go over the line again, I get to put up a fence! *Happy Dance!*

PRS
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:44 AM
Actually, the only thing they could chop down were the branches hanging over the property line. And even if the tree was diseased it would still be your responsibility to remove the tree.

Actually in some areas they cannot touch even the branches hanging over their property line without permission. I would be furious if my neighbors did this. We've had to stop our neighbor from "clearing" out the hedgerow a few times. It's inside our property line but it's on "his" side of the fence. We put markers on the property line and occasionally go out and paint them as reminders.

HydroPHILE
Mar. 27, 2012, 08:02 AM
I'd have a chit chat with the neighbors: non-confrontational, but make them aware that should they want to remove a tree that is located on your property to contact you first. Throw something in there about liability with having persons on your property as well. What would have happened if they tried dropping the tree and were seriously injured...trespassing on your property?

CVPeg
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
Just rereading this thread, and thought of another explanation. Sometimes when some guys (OK, and I guess gals) have a big pair of clippers, or a really cool hedge trimmer, or an even cooler chain saw, doesn't something happen sometimes where they're cutting away, and their eyes glaze over, and they can't help themselves but just have to KEEP ON GOING? :lol::eek:;)

I know I've seen it happen before to my Dad when I was young, and to other neighbors at various homes over the years. Maybe you just hafta be ready with a hose to wake them out of it! :D

trubandloki
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:27 AM
Now I have to buy a shovel for my car. I like MB's idea of taking a shovel with you. You never know when you might encounter an idiot in need of a little shovel upside the head.

draftdriver
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just rereading this thread, and thought of another explanation. Sometimes when some guys (OK, and I guess gals) have a big pair of clippers, or a really cool hedge trimmer, or an even cooler chain saw, doesn't something happen sometimes where they're cutting away, and their eyes glaze over, and they can't help themselves but just have to KEEP ON GOING?

I had that happen just this past weekend, when a young man from the neighbourhood offered to help me remove a troublesome branch in front of the loafing shed. I wanted only that one branch removed -- it was large, and above my comfort zone for chain sawing; yet as I was cleaning away the smaller branches, he kept finding more and more things to saw.... There's something about power tools and noise and cutting things down which triggers something virtually unstoppable in the male mind.... :lol:

MistyBlue
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
Oh I've definitely gone hog-wild with my Sawzall. :yes: I don't think I've ever had that out and not overtrimmed, LOL! But I've managed to stay in my yard. ;)

Trub...I keep a 27" spade in my truck. Comes in handy for a variety of reasons. :D It's kind of a Swiss Army shovel...one edge is serrated for sawing and it even has a bottle opener in the handle. My husband bought me that, he calls it a survival tool, LOL! We joke I can whack someone with it, cut them up, bury them and then have a refreshing beverage. :lol:

But mainly I use it for digging the truck out if I get it stuck off road or chopping ice or scooping roadkill off the road.

Gnalli
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:01 PM
Just rereading this thread, and thought of another explanation. Sometimes when some guys (OK, and I guess gals) have a big pair of clippers, or a really cool hedge trimmer, or an even cooler chain saw, doesn't something happen sometimes where they're cutting away, and their eyes glaze over, and they can't help themselves but just have to KEEP ON GOING? :lol::eek:;)

I know I've seen it happen before to my Dad when I was young, and to other neighbors at various homes over the years. Maybe you just hafta be ready with a hose to wake them out of it! :D

Yep, like my daddy with a set of clippers and my TWH show horse. The bridle path became a roach job. The morning of a show.....their eyes just glaze...then OOPS!

Blugal
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
Sometimes when some guys (OK, and I guess gals) have a big pair of clippers, or a really cool hedge trimmer, or an even cooler chain saw, doesn't something happen sometimes where they're cutting away, and their eyes glaze over, and they can't help themselves but just have to KEEP ON GOING? :lol::eek:;)

...and that is how a full-sized tree landed on my car while I was away at university. My Dad had the chainsaw, but he blames my Mum for saying, "Just one more..."

Pennywell Bay
Mar. 27, 2012, 03:51 PM
I think you really need to have a friendly talk with your neighbor first to be sure it wasn't a contractor error before assuming they deliberately cut down your tree. Depending on the circumstances, either the contractor or the neighbor may be responsible for replacing the tree.

Just don't assume it was deliberate until the neighbor confirms one way or the other.

Oh, you are the voice of reason. I was going to suggest the same thing. It is likely a mistunderstanding by the person cutting it down. The neighbor could have told him to go cut up the branch and he thought tree.

Try nice first, it always goes over better. Esp if it was an honest mistake. Chances are, he will be mortified.

vacation1
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:48 PM

I've seen that over and over, and done it. It's just FUN to cut things down. You end up with a 3" tall hedge and two telephone pole maples, but man, did you have a good time. And hopefully, someone else in the household will have to go back in and do the cleanup.

Kestrel
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:37 AM
It's a joke in our family that when a man holds a chainsaw, every tree he sees begins to sicken and die! I would also extend that to many women as well.

SmartAlex
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:29 AM
It's a joke in our family that when a man holds a chainsaw, every tree he sees begins to sicken and die! I would also extend that to many women as well.

:lol::lol: We live on 2 clear acres carved into 14 acres of woods, and I can vouch for the truth of this. And heck, I don't stop him. I'd really rather cut the thing up and be done with it than have to pick the same tree up piece by piece every spring before mowing. I stopped counting after around 160 trees (many NEEDED to go and we did clear an acre for a new garage).

Just recently, the bordering neighbor needed to put in a water from the city curb box. There was an old woody grove of 10 good sized "dying" trees in the way... no matter, lets get rid of them. I'm sure the neighborhood thinks we're insane. But, we do grade for drainage and replant trees that we can deal with in an orderly fashion so it's not like we're clearcutting and denuding the earth for no reason.

shakeytails
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
One of my neighbors cut down a big line tree. His property backs up to my hay field, and the perimeter fence is in really bad shape. He asked if he could clean up the fence line along where our properties meet so he could run fence for his horses. I thought he had enough sense not to cut down the big tree. He couldn't figure out why I was so mad at him! He asked his aunt (a mutual friend) why- she told him he was a dumbass for cutting down a line tree without express permission. It was an honest mistake I guess- I laugh about it now. The next neighbor that asked permission I made it crystal clear that yes, he could bulldoze the fenceline and replace it, as long as he didn't take out the mature trees.

Chief2
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
CVPeg, I moved to a different state. There was a reason for that. It is amazing how many problems you can solve with that solution. Best move I ever made in my life!
:yes:;)

Mistyblue, your neighbor was a jerk. He was probably sick of paying and paying for plowing and decided to get the wood for free. Idiot. Perfectly rational people were going nuts last winter. Reminded me of the stories from Alaska. I hope you hit him with the shovel! :lol::winkgrin:

INoMrEd
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:27 PM

Misty Blue, I really want to meet you! And by you a beer, and then hope someone in the bar goes crazy and you cuss and wave a snow shovel.

Ditto!

trubandloki
Mar. 30, 2012, 08:40 AM
It is clear that MB's idiot X-neighbor did not know that you have to season wood before you burn it....

Chester's Mom
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ya'll are scaring me! The house next door is empty (older neighbor who we LOVED is now in an assisted living arrangement) and her legal guardian has it up for sale.

We always took care of her yard for her and he not only expects us to continue while its for sale he started asking when we were going to clean up our side yard!

Yes its mess... it has a shed, a tractor & trailer and assorted flotsom.. none is really stackable ya know; but heck its not a nuisance or pest attraction!

He also has been counting our animals :eek:

Would that be for disclosure?

Maybe I need a snow shovel??

And OP, I am no help to you, sorry! Good luck tho....

JanM
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
CM-No, he's not counting your animals for disclosure, but to be a pain. He's counting your animals because he's going to check with the zoning people to see if you're legal or not, and probably check to see if he can make you do anything else to conform to code.

And stop maintaining his yard, since no good deed goes unpunished as you are discovering. Tell him to butt out of your side yard, and take his time maintaining his own yard, because the freebies are over.

And buy a snow shovel ASAP.

CVPeg
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:42 AM
CVPeg, I moved to a different state. There was a reason for that. It is amazing how many problems you can solve with that solution. Best move I ever made in my life!
:yes:;)

Mistyblue, your neighbor was a jerk. He was probably sick of paying and paying for plowing and decided to get the wood for free. Idiot. Perfectly rational people were going nuts last winter. Reminded me of the stories from Alaska. I hope you hit him with the shovel! :lol::winkgrin:

Yes. I've been eyeing a move for some time now - truly! Actually, the cottage is now gone and sold. Problem is - brother and SIL just returned from Florida. They have already decreed that we are all eating with my Mother at her assisted living facility for Easter - before checking to see if others have plans. Actually, her mother, the tree trimmer, has now passed on, so SIL has now decided she is a 5th child. Which has instilled in me a resistance to leave. Mom is 96, has dementia, and although very close to her daughters, is of course, now easily manipulated. Has created much interesting conversation among us 3 sisters - all of whom are really strong women. Really gets interesting now. Sorry to generalize, but SIL is a retired educator, and therefore, a domineering PITA.

Snow shovel at the ready. ;)

CVPeg
Mar. 31, 2012, 08:49 AM
Ya'll are scaring me! The house next door is empty (older neighbor who we LOVED is now in an assisted living arrangement) and her legal guardian has it up for sale.

We always took care of her yard for her and he not only expects us to continue while its for sale he started asking when we were going to clean up our side yard!

Yes its mess... it has a shed, a tractor & trailer and assorted flotsom.. none is really stackable ya know; but heck its not a nuisance or pest attraction!

CM - sorry your reward is having to deal with this fellow. He has no business suggesting you take care of yours while you are doing him a favor. As much as you care for your neighbor, if he is showing any antagonism towards you, I'd either stop caring for her yard, or ask to be paid to do it. If he is so offended, let him plant shrubs on his side for god's sake.

MistyBlue
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:07 AM
Trubandloki...that neighbor was dumb as a sack of hammers when it came to anything like firewood, lawn care, basically anything to do with the outdoors. And CHEAP! He had no idea how to use the chainsaw he was using either. He borrowed it from another neighbor. :no:

CM...check and make sure you're in compliance with your zoning on animal numbers. That neighbor is going to make trouble, would put money on that. The entitled heir...I saw it all the time as a Realtor and I still see it all the time at zoning meetings. The WORST people to deal with are the heirs to a property after the parents die. Damned vultures. I'd stop being neighborly with the yard care too. He's worried about getting the highest possible price for that house...if he's going to crab about your farm equipment looking messy, your number of animals and that you need to keep maintaining HIS yard then he's planning on trying to change your property to enhance the value of his.

Keep the snow shovel handy. :winkgrin:

trubandloki
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
I think COTH should market their very own snow shovel....

CVPeg
Mar. 31, 2012, 09:23 AM
He's worried about getting the highest possible price for that house...:yes::eek::yes:

Keep the snow shovel handy. :winkgrin:

Ding, ding, ding!

Yes, and MB, was wondering, what brand and model snow shovel do you use? I was thinking perhaps we should all carry similar models to show our unity. :cool:

Oops! You're right - great idea, Trubandloki!!

trubandloki
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ding, ding, ding!

Yes, and MB, was wondering, what brand and model snow shovel do you use? I was thinking perhaps we should all carry similar models to show our unity. :cool:

Oops! You're right - great idea, Trubandloki!!

I think you have a good point about the official model should be like MB's. Hers sounds wonderful with all its features.

MistyBlue
Mar. 31, 2012, 12:58 PM
LMAO...that one isn't a snow shovel.

Mine is similar to this one, except mine has the spade end and not the snow shovel end.

Oh snap...this one IS a snow shovel! :lol:

http://tech.mikeshouts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Crovel-544x348px.jpg

The snow shovel I was swinging at the neighbor was your basic every day snnow shovel. It was the closest thing to grab as I was storming through my garage on my way to the backyard.
I was *pissed* off, and I have a l-o-n-g fuse. Ugh...that man!

JanM
Mar. 31, 2012, 01:12 PM
Actually the neighbor selling the property next door should be told your lawn care days are over, and to get a service to do it if he doesn't want to. If anything happens on that property you will be blamed, and he will do anything he can to make you pay for it.

Ambitious Kate
Mar. 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
I would laugh and tell him you were caring for his mother's property to be kind to her because she was frail, but that he looks more than robust and you have no intention of doing it for him now that she is gone from the property, and to plant shrubs if he doesn't like to see your side yard. End of discussion. Personally, I would make sure my yard was tidy, just to be a good neighbor to all and any, and wouldn't have more horses on the property than I was zoned for, because it is only a matter of time before anyone could complain, and because I wouldn't do that in my town, anyway, neighbor or no. Otherwise, if you are being a good neighbor and caring for yours, than he can jump up and down and stand on his head for all you care, as long as he does it on his side of the fence.

headsupheelsdown
Mar. 31, 2012, 07:14 PM
Oh I've definitely gone hog-wild with my Sawzall. :yes: I don't think I've ever had that out and not overtrimmed, LOL! But I've managed to stay in my yard. ;)

Trub...I keep a 27" spade in my truck. Comes in handy for a variety of reasons. :D It's kind of a Swiss Army shovel...one edge is serrated for sawing and it even has a bottle opener in the handle. My husband bought me that, he calls it a survival tool, LOL! We joke I can whack someone with it, cut them up, bury them and then have a refreshing beverage. :lol:

:lol: LOVE!! :lol:

oldpony66
Apr. 1, 2012, 08:35 AM

Tell them you have no time to take care of your own yard, since you have been taking care of theirs. Then say that you are just going to have to switch roles and go back to taking care of your own yard, which will leave you no time to take care of theirs!

But I agree with the other posters, they sound like they're fixing to start trouble. Good luck.

carolprudm
Apr. 1, 2012, 12:40 PM
Yes. I've been eyeing a move for some time now - truly! Actually, the cottage is now gone and sold. Problem is - brother and SIL just returned from Florida. They have already decreed that we are all eating with my Mother at her assisted living facility for Easter - before checking to see if others have plans. Actually, her mother, the tree trimmer, has now passed on, so SIL has now decided she is a 5th child. Which has instilled in me a resistance to leave. Mom is 96, has dementia, and although very close to her daughters, is of course, now easily manipulated. Has created much interesting conversation among us 3 sisters - all of whom are really strong women. Really gets interesting now. Sorry to generalize, but SIL is a retired educator, and therefore, a domineering PITA.

Snow shovel at the ready. ;)

Unfortunately I'm all to familiar with that situation:eek:

BuddyRoo
Apr. 1, 2012, 03:39 PM
I had neighbors who would not only enter my property (fenced) and cut down my trees (that they felt were impinging on my garage--not even their land!) but they would mow my yard if they felt I wasn't keeping up (I was--granted, not like they did as retirees, but still, I wasn't out of control!) and they even mowed down my peonies because they let their drunk in law wield a weed whacker!

AND, they'd go through my garbage bin to see if there were any deposit bottles or cans.

AND, they'd buy pounds of cheese, butter, or dozens of eggs on sale and stick them in my mail box.

AND, they'd feed my dog treats from THEIR MOUTHS.

Some people just have no boundaries. None. And getting them to "find" a boundary is such a process that it's almost easier to just move the eff away. Seriously.

MistyBlue
Apr. 1, 2012, 03:48 PM
WTH? BuddyRoo, those are some seriously oddball neighbors! :eek: They must drive you bonkers!

Ambitious Kate
Apr. 1, 2012, 04:17 PM
Oh, man, buddy roo, why oh why were they putting those things in your mailbox? What was the point? What did they hope to accomplish with that? :confused:

JanM
Apr. 1, 2012, 05:46 PM
BuddyRoo-I hope that they are former neighbors. Some people really need to redefine what 'help' means, as opposed to inappropriate, and interfering.

BuddyRoo
Apr. 1, 2012, 10:33 PM
They are FORMER neighbors, but I lived with that for 8 years and they really did cause me trouble on the dog front especially.

My point was that there are some people, especially those who have been "there" for a long time who just don't get it. And it doesn't matter what you say or do. Unless you're willing to get the law involved I(which I wasn't) they just mow you over! I was the young gal with a house...26 and they were retired and knew better right?

Even after multiple convos with my neighbors (as an example), it didn't sink in about my dog. And that was with threat of $$$ and lawsuit. I wanted to be friendly and all but I told them that if they fed my dog another treat and he got sick, the bill was theirs! (after a 7k bill for seizure due to chemicals that seemed to be from the treats they gave!)

Apr. 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
Let the tree chopping neighbors know that it was your tree and give them the going rate for a tree of similar size and type.

I agree with the majority here. Don't let this slide.

If contractors killed the tree inform them that you want the tree replaced.

ParadoxFarm
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:10 PM
We have 17 acres and about half is somewhat wooded. The 200 acres next to us is almost all wooded. It had been for sale for a year or so. New owners buy it. We had talked to the owner. At one time we asked if they wanted to hire a surveyor and we'd split the cost. They declined. They were planning to put in a driveway that goes all the way from the wooded side of my 17 acres to way back behind my property. Again, they have 200 acres. Well, they hire some local dozen guy to cut the driveway in. Of the whole 200 acres they end up running the driveway right up behind my riding arena (outdoor) when they had all the room in the world to have a nice drive through the wood without coming anywhere near my property. But, oh, we'll. But THEN we were hearing the dozer a little close for comfort. Went out to inspect, and low and behold, they dozed an acre and a half of our trees. I was so p.o.'d. The owners never built on the property and they were running out of money. The hired a lumber company to come in. They cut so many trees down, but left the 4' stumps and the 20' tops to all the trees all over the place. It used to be like a park. So depressing. They sold it a year later and the stumps and fallen trees are still there. Sad looking.

Bacardi1
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:33 PM
So where's the OP?

One has to love a 4-page train wreck where the original complainant just whines & disappears.

ParadoxFarm
Apr. 2, 2012, 05:35 PM
Yeah, sorry for the hijack! :)