PDA

View Full Version : Brag about your improvement as a rider!! :)

oxLetsGoCanterxo
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:19 PM
Riders often get shunned for bragging about their improvement as a rider to other people(or at least I do)....but you have to tell somebody!! I was just looking at some old pictures from a year or so ago in my first lesson at my barn after moving from a trainer who didn't exactly enforce good equitation. My equitation was scary!! So I made a photo comparison collage of my improvement!! :) (Sorry non-facebook users) I would love to see pictures of everyone's improvements over the years :) Post away!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=385939618097299&set=a.269697033054892.71409.100000437911792&type=1&theater

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:20 PM
Haha im sorry...im not a fb user...but glad to hear ur making improvements.... i personally dont have pics....my equitation used to be amazing!... stopped riding for 3 tears...and now its getting better then when i first started riding again....i feel a lot more comfortable!!

chunky munky
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:48 PM
Best to talk about what you have learned. Let others talk about your improvement :-)

collegialequestrian
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:59 AM
Been riding for 11 years but now I am really working on re-learning the basics with my trainer and building confidence. I can say I've become much more aware of my aids and I can "troubleshoot" better than I used to--having an iPhone that I can duct tape to the fence for video helps a lot with my self-critique!

Right now I am working on going through all of the correct steps: forward, rhythm, straightness, etc...and I can say I'm better at it than I used to be, considering I had no idea about any of those concepts until recently! However, I am having an issue where I just lose concentration at the canter transition and then bounce around, which makes me more frazzled. So that is the next goal!

Rel6
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:25 AM
Best to talk about what you have learned. Let others talk about your improvement :-)

This.

I've learned in the past two years how incredibly important your outside rein is and how much more your leg can accomplish than your bridle.

But learning something and then implementing it and improving as a rider are two completely different things. I understand the concept and *hope* I've become better for it, but I know I still go into panic mode and ride way too much in the bridle sometimes.

cswoodlandfairy
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
According to my trainer, my riding needed a lot of help with I got my OTTB about 3 years ago. Last weekend at a show, I ended up riding a couple other horses for some friends and my trainer had commented how proud she was to see me on something different and how I couldn’t have ridden these other horses, completely different from my guy, any better. Made me feel good! It had been a while since someone else had mentioned it to me. I have seen improvement, still have a ways to go but my biggest issues are my legs and hands...and looking at old, versus new much improvement.

I had told my trainer that I believe a good solid rider was someone who could be effective with multiple horses. While I may ride well on my guy and we have improved along the way, it doesnt mean I could get on another and make it look good.

Crown Royal
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
I've learned in the past two years how incredibly important your outside rein is and how much more your leg can accomplish than your bridle.

But learning something and then implementing it and improving as a rider are two completely different things. I understand the concept and *hope* I've become better for it, but I know I still go into panic mode and ride way too much in the bridle sometimes.

Same here!

My first really really good trainer a few years ago does hunter/jumper with a dressage background really taught me (therefore helping me teach my horse- who previously had no idea) how to get my horse to really move off the leg and bend. I am so thankful for that. He also taught me how I could be more precise with my ride and how to get an extra stride or two in a line if I wanted to by riding in differently and making adjustments while still in the air/landing. Before that I was a good rider in the sense that my equitation was decent (but definitely needed lots of improvement!), I could stay on, and I could get my super green horses pretty broke and over fences. But there had been a lot to be desired and that trainer definitely taught me a lot about being a good rider!

The last trainer was for 6-7 months during 2011 when I was a working student at that farm. This one was an eventer but most of my lessons were dressage or breaking babies. He taught importance of outside rein and really emphasized bend. He emphasized being able to make adjustments in the gait and how to get it right away- we would trot on a 20-meter circle and he would have me change from a very very collected trot to a big free trot, then back and forth. He also taught me all the basics for starting a baby from the ground up, starting with learning to put a bridle/surcingle on and long-line, to be able to trot alone in an open ring.

One thing I did improve on was keeping my shoulders back and sitting upright- my worst habit. It was improved under the guidance (aka nagging) of a trainer, but I know I always slip back if I'm not actively paying attention to that issue. Which is often.

I am now training a lovely OTTB hunter prospect for resale and trying to remember how to implement these things into his training. :)

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:21 AM
The biggest thing I've learned is to stop seeking out a distance, trust my horse, and just ride a rhythm to the fence. I've also come to realize that the jump is the least important part of the course, and it's more about what's in between.

After realizing this, I'm finally riding better than I was before I took my break from jumping. :)

ETA: Ive also learned the importance of bending and using my leg correctly from my ex-dressage horse that I'm turning hunter. I could not have asked for a better teacher!

OveroHunter
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
One of the most important things I have tried to master in the last few years is softness. I have been working on softening my legs, seat, and hands to achieve a more relaxed and willing to work horse.

Mukluk
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:09 AM
I don't feel like I have made any big improvements lately thought there are several things I am working on. Softening my elbows, having a more solid leg over fences, improving my position over fences. Noticing and correcting when horse bulges out in a circle. The last lesson I had, the trainer and I noticed that I was able to improve my position over fences. I have a horse who still has a whole lot to learn so much of the focus is on getting horsie to stretch and relax, transition smoothly between gaits etc etc. I would like to come back to this thread in a year and be able to brag about some major changes! On a positive note- we had horsie play day yesterday and Angel and I won the horsie version of musical chairs!!!

mvp
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:58 AM
This year was good for me, an old lady.

I have taken lessons with an old skool equitation meisterin and found that:

1) I still have an eye! I can find my way to any fence on any horse.

2) I can change up my position on command.

At the same time, I have been also taking lessons from a dedicated dressage trainer and learning how different modern dressage is from what I learned in high school and the dressage I was using to make hunters, jumpers and equitation horses. I don't think that I know enough to make up one of here Dressagers. But I can follow directions and ride one well enough.

In particular, I can:

1) Get a foot taller in the saddle if I decide to sit up and find my core.

2) I can make one of those horses reach out with his front legs and hesitate a bit to get the flamboyant movement in front that they want.

What's most fun about the dressaging is that I have so much to learn. I don't know how to explain to myself what I am doing to get changes in the horse. According to me, a rider doesn't really know something until she can explain to herself what she did with her body to produce the difference.

I'm so grateful to have both a good base of body awareness and some new frontiers in riding where I am a beginner again.