PDA

View Full Version : "Spider" Arena Harrow? (cross-post)

fatorangehorse
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:43 PM
We have arena problems. Someone reco'd this, but can't find anyone with first hand experience. Trying to figure if I am better off with this or a large rotary. I like the idea of moremovement and can get better in corners, but doesn't look like it goes deep enough.

http://www.countrymfg.com/rotaryconditioner.htm - I would be getting the 6 foot for mid-sized tractor.

Bluey
Mar. 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
A friend tried one of those for his roping arena and didn't like it, sold it after trying to work with it for two years and has some other kind now.

LAZ
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
I have a little one, which I rarely use. I bought a Parmagroomer a few months ago and love it.

AnotherRound
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
I always thought a Spring Harrow would be good for arena problems.

My trainer's indoor has a heavy type of footing which is interlaced with rubber bits, but is hard to rake. She getst a build up at the walls, with moguls about 5 feet in, on the other side of the "beaten path". Her regular tractor rake doesn't get the build up at the wall, because it can't get close enough, and doesn't dig quite deep enough to smooth out the mogul inside the path.

Here is the one I have in my field, sitting doing nothing. Anyone who wants it can have it.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/84900/84951/84951_tooth_harrow.htm

Google Spring Harrow, and look at the images.

Mine has two sections. you can adjust each section to different heights. Its made to rake the farm road, if you want to. You can make it rake lihtly or dig deeply, which is why I think it would do well for problem arenas. You need to be careful not to dig up your base, but you can adjust it so this doesn't happen, if you test it and sort that out.

Its an old fashioned piece of equipment. Its from the 19th century and was used to repair farm roads and break up fields with clods. Mine was surely used back then; its rusted but of a hardy steel which is still veyr strong. We pulled it out of the field last spring and the levers and adjustments were good and easy to use. Another month and I will bring it to my trainer to try out, but if someone wants it they can speak up now.

I am on the shoreline in Connecticut so it would have to be picked up. A simple Pick up truck will do the trick to transport it. Let me know by PM if you want it.

fatorangehorse
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
I have a little one, which I rarely use. I bought a Parmagroomer a few months ago and love it.

What kind of footing do you have? My arena is "modest" to say tyhe least. I dont have a real base. The area is clay, I have some sand and rubber. I was looking @ the Parmagroomer but was worried it wouldnt go deep enough and wouldn't get the corners.

What has been your experience?

LAZ
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
What kind of footing do you have? My arena is "modest" to say tyhe least. I dont have a real base. The area is clay, I have some sand and rubber. I was looking @ the Parmagroomer but was worried it wouldnt go deep enough and wouldn't get the corners.

What has been your experience?

I have 4 rings, the two outdoors are sand over a stone base, as is one of the indoors, the other indoor is sand/GGT/rubber (I think Premier Footing called it Protext.). It works great on all of them and is easy to use. I've been using it with my tractor so have it on a 3 PT hitch, but I also bought an attachment to use it with my ATV (but haven't yet). It does as deep as you set it & I just back it up into the corners. It does a better job than any other groomer I've tried.