PDA

View Full Version : Can I leave BP trailer hooked to my truck for a week?

tpup
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:29 PM
Never had this question before...I'll be going ton a vacation and a friend is using my truck and trailer for a show. Will leaving my empty steel bumper pull trailer hooked up to my truck (ready to tow) for a week harm my truck, tires, or anything? A friend is borrowing while I am away (a very close friend, who I trust)...she asked me to hook it up ready-to-go for a show...but it will sit like that - hooked up, for a week...the show is the day before I return from my trip. I was a little worried about the weight of the trailer on my truck that long...it's a steel stock/slant BP (Adam).

rmh_rider
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Can I leave BP trailer hooked to my truck for a week?

Yes.

JeanM
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'll leave my Brenderup hooked to my Explorer for a week, but I crank the trailer hitch wheel down until it takes the weight off the back of the Explorer when I park it.

Long Spot
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:42 PM
I'll leave my Brenderup hooked to my Explorer for a week, but I crank the trailer hitch wheel down until it takes the weight off the back of the Explorer when I park it.

This.

2bee
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Not sure what pickup you have? 1/2 ton IIRC. Either way, my Dmax ALWAYS has something hooked to it. A week will be no problem for any vehicle. The more you use, it the sooner the rear will 'sag'....simple fact of life. My rear end hangs a touch lower than it did a decade ago, just like my pickup. :)

Don't worry about it. Leaving the jack down for your friend is a sure way to have to buy a new jack when you get back. ;)

Janet
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mine sits all year (except for a handfull of days) attached to the trailer.

atr
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:40 PM
Mine sits all fire season attached to my truck, and I'm certainly too senile to leave the jack down...

Patty Stiller
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by JeanM
The weight of an empty horse trailer will not harm the truck for a week.
But jacking the hitch wheel down with it still hitched is a bad idea because you would be amazed at how many trailer jacks have been totally destroyed when someone forgot te jack was down(or someoneelse got in te truck and didn't know it was down) and drove off with it down. A good safety habit is to ALWAYS hook and unhook every part of the hitch including the jack in the same order, every time. And when you have left it hitched, do a quick recheck of all the hitch and electric components EVERY time you get in the truck, even if you know it was fastened correctly when you last left it.

Patty Stiller
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:03 PM
Also a good idea is to do a run through and write down a checklist of hitching and unhitching exact steps down in order with your friend before you leave, example:

1) put breakaway wire around ball
2) jack the coupler down on ball.
3) fasten coupler
4) put in the safety pin,
5) fasten chains
6) put in electrical plug,
7) insure jack is all the way up
check lights. to unhitch, reverse from number 6 backward ,don't skip anything.
These instructions would be in case there is any kind of emergency like the truck breaks down and the trailer needs to be put on another truck, etc.

tangledweb
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:28 PM
1) put breakaway wire around ball

Really? Is that common?

UrbanHennery
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:33 PM
I've put it around the ball when there wasn't a good place to put it. Although generally I run it through the same spot on the truck frame that I hook my right chain.

Nipntuck
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've put it around the ball when there wasn't a good place to put it. Although generally I run it through the same spot on the truck frame that I hook my right chain.

The hauler who delivered my trailer told me this wasn't legal. I clip it to a (already existing) loop on the front left bottom corner of the truck bed for a gooseneck trailer. I'd have to think about where I'd clip it for a bumper pull. Not sure if there is anywhere else?

mvp
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
Yes, you can leave it hooked up for a week-- or much longer.

The tongue weight for your trailer will be around 500 lb. That's not a lot in the grand scheme of truck tires and springs/shocks.

I wouldn't crank the jack down (too easy to forget that you did). But you *should* go back there and look at the hitch and lights as part of your normal pre-flight check you do every.single.time.

Personally, I'd rather attached the break away cable to the truck. It would suck rocks if you snapped the ball off at the stem and released the cable so that it could not do it's job. I'm not sure why anyone would recommend the ball's stem as the best point of attachment. Any ideas/lore that I don't know about?

tpup
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone!

I also run my emergency brake pull-cord through the same hole as the right-side chain (on BP trailer)...and make sure it's not interfering with, or under that chain. That's how the Adam guy told me to do it. I did have an instance once where I turned a bit sharp on a slight hill...the chain pulled and twisted, and "pulled" the cord taut...and pulled it enough that it engaged the emergency brake IN the field as I was coming out of the turn...spun my truck wheels (not realizing what happened) thinking I was stuck...and ended GETTING myself stuck...later realized the trip-cord was OUT. Lesson learned, LOL. Had to dig myself out, sans horse in trailer...and hours of mud later, was kicking myself when I realized what really happened.

asterix
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:45 PM
Well, I leave mine hitched up frequently -- unplug the electric and I do jack it up so it is not resting on the truck. It's part of my standard "checklist" -- plug in, crank jack down and remove foot, unchock wheels.

Janet
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
Springs wear through repeated compression and expansion- not constant pressure.

So you are theoretically putting SLIGHTLY more wear on your truck springs by unhitching, or jacking up, every time.

But not enough to worry about.

You don't jack up your truck when you are not using it!!

And when you DO put a car or truck "up on jacks" for long term storage, it is to protect the tires, not the springs.

Bank of Dad
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
Yes, but unplug electric always.