PDA

View Full Version : Showing a barn's horses?

isis08
Mar. 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
So I am not exactly the wealthiest person in the world and I can't afford to buy those $30k+ horses. I was wondering if anyone know of being able to show a barn's horses that are pretty fancy and are for sale. I have shown a few times and I have done the Childrens Hunters a few times on my friend's horse (she/the rider had a back injury) until he got sold last year and I did pretty well winning champion at 3 out of 5 of the rated shows. If I am good enough, do you think I could maybe pay to show a barn's horses, but not lease or buy them? How much do you think that would cost per show? Thanks!

SSacky
Mar. 25, 2012, 07:37 PM
I doubt you'll find barn willing to do that with their fancy horses, but many smaller end barns have something similar.

I've never owned a horse, but I started showing my barns horses when I was 12. I didn't start showing the sale horses/trainer's nice horses until quite a bit later, but either way.

It's much easier when you already ride/take lessons there because the coach or owner knows what you are capable of and will be there keeping an eye on their horse, its much less common to find day leases on animals for out of barn riders. Your best bet would be looking through your current trainer, see if she has contacts who will do a day lease and then she can vouch for your ability.

Price wise it will very much dependent on the horse. I would pay about 150$ per show, keeping in mind these were not fancy horses and the trainer knew me very well.

pony4me
Mar. 25, 2012, 07:38 PM
It depends on the barn. Some barns have that option for customers, or good riders that currently do not have a horse. This is from my barn's website.

"Lease of Horse/Pony for Showing
Customers desiring use of a horse/pony for an “A” show will need instructor approval and price of lease will be
determined privately. Lease fees for “A” shows begin at $500.00."

Many people find this works fine if they just want to do an occasional show on a good horse. It also gets a sale horse into an ammy or children's division so it's good for the barn too. Of course, all of your other show expenses happen in addition to the horse lease fee, so make sure the barn tells you, or your parents, how much it will cost before you sign up. Also ask if the lease fee quoted is per day, or for the whole show. I know of some peple who have gotten sticker shock when they found that their $x lease fee was per day.

Rel6
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
I've done it. It takes a very specific situation for a trainer or owner to let someone show sale horses, and it usually doesn't happen unless you have some sort of relationship with a trainer or are very very good. For me it was the former, I leased a horse from a trainer and then was allowed to continue showing her other horses when my lease ended.

Another option for you might be a free lease. I'm not sure about your riding ability, but you will find more opportunities if you set your sights on something younger, greener, or more challenging.

westie55
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:48 PM
Yes, it does happen, but not between strangers. Your best bet would be to have your trainer ask his/her connections if they have any horses available for lease at a certain show you want to attend. For a children's hunter at an A show, I'd expect to pay a lease fee of anywhere from $450 to $1000/show on top of the other show expenses. People won't allow their horse to be shown by someone they don't know and have no way of knowing how well they ride. Your other option is to take some lessons at a bigger show barn and ask them about the possibility of leasing a horse to show. The trainer will then be familiar with your abilities and might be more likely to give you a chance. But again, it won't come cheap! Good luck :)

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Showing a sale horse? Probably not going to happen unless you have some kind of working relationship with the trainer.
Take some lessons at an A barn with a lesson program. Chances are, a majority (or at least a few) of their lesson horses are fancy and well-trained enough to do well at a rated show, and as long as you pay all of the expenses (shipping, stall, braiding, entry fees, etc.) I think most trainers would be fine with you showing them.
Have you looked into leasing a horse long-term instead of just for one show?. The lease fee for a $30k+ horse would be cheaper than actually buying one

collegialequestrian
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
Showing a sale horse? Probably not going to happen unless you have some kind of working relationship with the trainer.
Take some lessons at an A barn with a lesson program. Chances are, a majority (or at least a few) of their lesson horses are fancy and well-trained enough to do well at a rated show, and as long as you pay all of the expenses (shipping, stall, braiding, entry fees, etc.) I think most trainers would be fine with you showing them.

I second this. I am not showing currently due to finances, but I lesson on my trainer's high-level equitation horses to push myself.