PDA

View Full Version : Long List is named

schmoe1
Mar. 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
The whole thing is on www.usefnetwork.com, but here is the top of the list.

These combinations have been ranked in the following order:
1 Cylana/Reed Kessler
2 Indigo/Margie Engle
3 Cedric/ Laura Kraut
4 Coral Reef Via Volo/Beezie Madden
5 Mika/Reed Kessler
6 Urico/Mario Deslauriers
7 Flexible/Rich Fellers
8 Antares F/ McLain Ward
9 Uceko/Kent Farrington
10 Sapphire/McLain Ward
11 Teirra/Laura Kraut
12 Cortes ā€˜Cā€™/Beezie Madden
13 Romantovich Take One/Christine McCrea
14 Springtime/Saer Coulter
15 Nemo 119/Lucy Davis
16 Quick Study/Lauren Hough
17 Nougat De Vallet/Katie Dinan
18 HH Carotino/Quentin Judge
19 Nice De Prissey/Brianne Goutal
20 Uraya/Charlie Jayne
21 Simon/Beezie Madden
22 Scarface/Nick Dello Joio
23 Voranado Van De Hoendrik/Jessica Springsteen
24 Saskia/Cara Raether
25 Combina/ Kirsten Coe

MHM
Mar. 25, 2012, 05:57 PM
Huh.

Interesting to see the relative placements of the ones who got byes.

Tha Ridge
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:06 PM
I am so excited for Reed! Definitely going to root for her through the observation events. :) What an amazing position to be in at just 17 years old.

BostonHJ
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
Wow - go Reed!!

supershorty628
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:13 PM
So excited for Reed, Katie, Nick, Jessie, Saer, and Lucy!!

Electrikk
Mar. 25, 2012, 07:29 PM
Congrats to all the horses and riders! I'm kinda floored by how well Reed did-it's one thing to go through the trials, but it's insane that she ended tied for first with Margie!

KateKat
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
I was blown away by Reed. She seemed to stay so consistent and focused.

MistyPony
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:11 PM
Huh.

I had the same reaction!

Count me in as a Reed fan as well, so cool under pressure and maintained such grace in her interviews!

BAC
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
Huh.

Well, Cedric and Laura are a proven team, and Beezie is healthy, unlike McLain, so the placement make sense to me. It would be nice to have one inexperienced person on the team (Reed?) but certainly they want the big time experience in international competion that Laura and Beezie provide with their best horses.

MHM
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
Beezie is healthy, unlike McLain, so the placement make sense to me.

McLain has started back in the tack, and the Olympics are still months away, so I'm not sure how much of a factor that should be.

There is plenty of time to see how things shape up to the games. :)

Mara
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:52 PM
McLain has started back in the tack, and the Olympics are still months away, so I'm not sure how much of a factor that should be.

Wow, he's already riding again? I'm impressed - he must have really gone all out on the physical therapy!

MHM
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
he must have really gone all out on the physical therapy!

Probably a very safe bet! :)

BAC
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:04 PM

But its not a final list, its just the list at this moment following the selection trials, lots of room to move up or down I would think. And McLain being back in the tack is not the same as being fit enough to withstand the kind of riding he needs to be capable of for the Olympics. If his rehab progresses rapidly hopefully he will move up the list.

Madeline
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:11 PM
And Sapphire has been out for over a year...

MHM
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:24 PM
And Sapphire has been out for over a year...

Sapphire showed quite nicely at WEF just before Mclain got hurt.

Obviously the list will change as time marches on. I just thought the starting slots were interesting.

maigenesis
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah!!

My favorite rider and horse are #1 and 2!

What are the chances of Reed actually going to the Olympics (if she continues to stay on top)? Because she is young and 'inexperienced' would she not be able to go despite her awesome results?

S A McKee
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:38 PM

Yes, but the first two observation events are the first and second weeks in May and the entries get made around mid June.
So, no, not really that much time to see how things go.
I'm sure everyone wishes that both McLain and Sapphire return to form but returning to competition is not the same as returning to previous form.

MHM
Mar. 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
By my calendar, mid-June is two and a half months away. Which is a pretty long time, in terms of a horse show season.

We'll just have to see what happens. :)

S A McKee
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
By my calendar, mid-June is two and a half months away. Which is a pretty long time, in terms of a horse show season.

We'll just have to see what happens. :)

Sure but by my calendar the mandatory observation trials start the first week in May which would be 5-6 weeks away :)

Each rider has to compete at least two of the four trials. Of course, a rider could wait till the last two trials but if there is any sort of horse or rider issue and the combo can't do 2 required trials that may be the end of the chances.

kmwines01
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:33 PM
I imagine Reed will probably be an alternate this year. Even with doing exceptionally well at the trials and if she continues at the same pace for the observation events she doesn't have the international experience of beezie, laura, or Margie. Hard to kick them out when they also did well, in Margie's case, and are proven with their mounts as beezie and Laura are. But if she continues to ride like she has you never know. And even if she doesn't go this year I imagine the next 4 years will only make her all that much better.

ynl063w
Mar. 26, 2012, 07:09 PM
I'm with BAC and Madeline on this - the list made total sense to me given the circumstances at this point in time, and knowing that the list is far from set in stone. There's plenty of time to make changes if/when it makes sense to do so as the selection process moves forward.

I either heard during one of the live feeds or read in one of the articles associated with the trials that McLain got on a horse and walked around, which is definitely a far cry from jumping an Olympic level course. I'm guessing since he was given a bye, the selection committee believes he has a strong chance of being ready to prove himself in the net few months, but his place in the standings as of now didn't surprise me.

MHM
Mar. 26, 2012, 07:41 PM
I either heard during one of the live feeds or read in one of the articles associated with the trials that McLain got on a horse and walked around,

The picture I saw on Facebook certainly looked to me like he was cantering almost a week ago, but again, time will tell.

ynl063w
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
The picture I saw on Facebook certainly looked to me like he was cantering almost a week ago, but again, time will tell.

Ah, I didn't see that. I'm certainly rooting for him!

Fiction
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
http://www.equisearch.com/news/nancy_jaffer/final-2012-olympic-show-jumping-trial_032512/ this article has some info on Mclain's return to the saddle, including an audio clip from him. Apparently he's aiming to be showing by Old Salem, which runs May 8-13 - the same week as Kentucky Spring (one of the observation events).

Also, he said he's only walking, which makes me think the photo of him on a horse that was posted on FB is an old photo.
See here: http://www.facebook.com/chronofhorse

MHM
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
Also, he said he's only walking, which makes me think the photo of him on a horse that was posted on FB is an old photo.

I doubt it, since the caption on the photo I saw said it was taken of his return to the saddle on March 20th.

CaitlinandTheBay
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:48 PM
He is riding without his left iron, at least. Perhaps that offers less stress on his knee cap?

MHM
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:46 AM
He is riding without his left iron, at least. Perhaps that offers less stress on his knee cap?

I think that's correct.

Lord Helpus
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:44 AM
I imagine Reed will probably be an alternate this year. Even with doing exceptionally well at the trials and if she continues at the same pace for the observation events she doesn't have the international experience of beezie, laura, or Margie. Hard to kick them out when they also did well, in Margie's case, and are proven with their mounts as beezie and Laura are. But if she continues to ride like she has you never know. And even if she doesn't go this year I imagine the next 4 years will only make her all that much better.

WSS. No matter how good she is at 17, she has never represented the USA before -- She has only been eligible to even try for a berth for 3 months.

The Olympics are too big a venue to take a chance on someone with no team experience at all.

But, by making her an alternate, she will get into the mix, pressure-wise -- It will be great experience for future teams and the 2016 Olympics. She is definitely a star of the future!

kmwines01
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:03 PM
What does WSS stand for?

ponymom64
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
What does WSS stand for?

What She Said = WSS ;)

kmwines01
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
Oh... Thanks!

marginall
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:15 PM
Lots of Olympians are teenagers. Look at swimming and gymnastics, two of the biggest Olympic sports. Generally, their careers are over by the time they're in the early 20s if not sooner. Kids can handle the pressure and win.

Reed should absolutely go. The US veterans need some pressure on them to step it up and honestly I'd like to see some new blood in the mix. Tired of the US veterans treated like heros when they don't win international events. WEG was embarrassing.

Besides, no one outside the horse world cares about equestrian sports in the Olympics, it's unlikely to stay an event for much longer, if for no other reason Reed should go b/c it's good marketing.

kmwines01
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
There are a lot of sports in the Olympics that are way more obscure and draw less viewers than equestrian.

nutmeg
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
It will be REALLY good marketing if the Saudi woman rider gets to go. The Olympic telecasters feed off of Obstacles and Adversity. If one of the sheikhs has to stay home perhaps they could return Davos (Candace King's) to us. THAT would have been a tasty combination to have this year.

BAC
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
WSS. No matter how good she is at 17, she has never represented the USA before -- She has only been eligible to even try for a berth for 3 months.

The Olympics are too big a venue to take a chance on someone with no team experience at all.

But, by making her an alternate, she will get into the mix, pressure-wise -- It will be great experience for future teams and the 2016 Olympics. She is definitely a star of the future!

I don't have any strong feelings one way or another about using an inexperienced person on the team, however I believe it was in the Young Rider Championships that Reed rode in the anchor position and jumped a double clear insuring her team's gold medal win, so I think she has the ability to ride well under pressure. Of course, the Olympics is certainly a more high pressure situation than Young Riders and ideally it would be best if these youngsters got their international experience before the Olympics. However, in Barcelona the US eventing team sent a young Jil Walton on her young, inexperienced Patrona and they had the best showing of the US team, which included veterans like Mike Plumb and Bruce Davidson. :yes: I think you can make a case either way, depending on if she continues to show her current form in upcoming events. There is still a ways to go before naming the final team and a lot can happen in that time.

joiedevie99
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:31 PM
I hope Reed gets a spot. She proved herself at the trials, and she has international experience as she did the European Young Riders tour last year. We can't rely on the same 4-5 people forever, and in a format with a drop score, it seems to make sense that you can take a bit of a gamble on one person. It also seems like a pretty safe gamble to me.

hfxjumper
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
I hope Reed gets a spot. She proved herself at the trials, and she has international experience as she did the European Young Riders tour last year. We can't rely on the same 4-5 people forever, and in a format with a drop score, it seems to make sense that you can take a bit of a gamble on one person. It also seems like a pretty safe gamble to me.

I agree with this.

luvmyhorses
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:33 AM
Lots of Olympians are teenagers. Look at swimming and gymnastics, two of the biggest Olympic sports. Generally, their careers are over by the time they're in the early 20s if not sooner. Kids can handle the pressure and win.

There is a big difference between swimming or gymnastics and riding. The pool lanes and gymnastics mats are the same in every show. And in gymnastics, they have their routine going into the competition. The Olympic courses are all different and provide the most challenging tests to both horse and rider. Obviously experience gives the rider an advantage. Hopefully the selection will account for the performance at both the trials and in the observation period and that the US sends the best team. My question is the following: do the Observation shows specify just one class or do more count, eg do both of Devon's grand prix classes count?

lauriep
Mar. 28, 2012, 08:25 AM
Under McLain's time schedule of coming back at Old Salem, he will have to compete at Devon and Spruce, back to back. Could be tough.

Secret Dove
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:01 AM
There is a big difference between swimming or gymnastics and riding. The pool lanes and gymnastics mats are the same in every show. And in gymnastics, they have their routine going into the competition. The Olympic courses are all different and provide the most challenging tests to both horse and rider. Obviously experience gives the rider an advantage. Hopefully the selection will account for the performance at both the trials and in the observation period and that the US sends the best team. My question is the following: do the Observation shows specify just one class or do more count, eg do both of Devon's grand prix classes count?

Each horse and rider combination have to jump two grand prix's at two of the observation events on the list.

Secret Dove
Mar. 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Under McLain's time schedule of coming back at Old Salem, he will have to compete at Devon and Spruce, back to back. Could be tough.

I read that McLain's only planning on doing Devon and then he's going over to Europe. I thought he has to do two observation events? :confused:

ALLIGORY
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:42 AM
It would certainly be interesting if we had an all female team. Has that ever happened before ?

MHM
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
It would certainly be interesting if we had an all female team. Has that ever happened before ?

Wasn't it all women in Sydney? Except maybe the alternate.

ALLIGORY
Mar. 28, 2012, 11:13 AM
;) right you are MHM

marginall
Mar. 28, 2012, 12:30 PM
luvmyhorses, good point about the differences in the spots. still, i'd rather the team be made up of juniors, amateurs and pros other than the usual suspects. the experienced pros don't deliver wins at international events anyway. we're not competitve internationally anymore, i'd rather see up-and-coming riders get the chance. everyone loves an underdog (not a pro that should be winning and doesn't) and it will inspire and breathe new life into the sport.