PDA

View Full Version : What brands of pull-on bell boots ACTUALLY stretch?

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
I have a gelding with barred front shoes, so he needs bell boots on when being worked and turned out. After having his third pair of velcro bell boots break (I think he's stepping on the velcro end in the pasture and ripping it off) I've decided I want to get pull-on ones to keep on him. However he's not very patient and has HUGE feet (he's an XL in his velcro), so I don't want to struggle for an hour putting them on.
Any suggestions? Would going up to an XXL in pull-ons make getting them on easier, or would those be too big to use?

saaskya
Mar. 25, 2012, 01:52 PM
we have ours in http://m.doversaddlery.com/X1-0410.html. they stretch and are easy enough to get on/off.

Amage
Mar. 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
get the largest size pull ons that you can and first dunk them in hot water to help the rubber become more pliable. Then rub some vaseline onto the neck of the boot, put some hoof grease on the horse and they should slide on easy. If your horse doesn't have sensitive skin you could just leave them on full time though be careful that in very warm weather horse could sweat under them!

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
I am in the same boat- my horse has the same hoof size. He currently wears Davis velcro bell boots in an XL. I purchased black XL pull on and they would not budge, let alone go on! I think the gum colored ones tend to stretch more than anything that has a color added (black, white, navy).

Lord Helpus
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
The cheapies are the most stretchy. I get the $10 ones at the feed store. They might not last as long as the ones that cost 4 times as much, but, if you can't get the other ones on without hot water and vaseline, the cheapies are what make sense to me.

I leave them on all the time. After a bath I pull them above the ankle and turn them upsidedown so the pastern can dry off well

Lucassb
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
I buy the gum rubber colored Beval Italian's. They are more expensive than the cheapies, but I find they last a long time and offer great protection. The pair I am using now have stood up to pretty hard daily use over more than a year, so I don't mind paying the price.

http://www.beval.com/Products/Italian-Pull-On-Bell-Boots/0004008.aspx

Note the gum color is WAY stretchier than either the black or the white.

JenEM
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:37 PM
The cheapies are the most stretchy. I get the $10 ones at the feed store. They might not last as long as the ones that cost 4 times as much, but, if you can't get the other ones on without hot water and vaseline, the cheapies are what make sense to me.

I leave them on all the time. After a bath I pull them above the ankle and turn them upsidedown so the pastern can dry off well

Yep, I go with the cheap $10 ones, always in the gum, as they seem to stretch the easiest. The only prep I do is stretching them a little before trying to pull them on. They stay on all the time, and I usually get a few months out of a pair.

The only time I use velcro bell boots is when we're shipping, so I can pull them off easier to show. IME, the velcro ones tend to rub where the edges meet up, and the pull ons alleviate this problem as well.

Herbie19
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:38 PM
I buy the gum rubber colored Beval Italian's. They are more expensive than the cheapies, but I find they last a long time and offer great protection. The pair I am using now have stood up to pretty hard daily use over more than a year, so I don't mind paying the price.

Agreed. They are very durable, easy to get on and off but also soft enough at the top that you can just flip them up when they're in the stall if you want. The Dover knockoffs are not nearly as nice--they are also MUCH shorter from top to bottom.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:47 PM

I have these in black, med. for my mare who's a med. in her other bell boots, and can't get them on for the life of me. Maybe if I get the gum in the XXL for my guy, I'll have better luck. Were they easy enough to get on the first time?
I'll leave them on 24/7 as long as they don't rub (and if they do, back to the velcro, because I don't want the barn staff having to pull bell boots on and off my very impatient, very large horse daily for turnout) but if they don't stretch as easily as the cheapies, I might go with those.

ETA: Just saw Herbie19's response. I think I'll be trying these - they seem easy enough to get on, and I need something longer. I really don't want a shorter bellboot causing him to lose a (very expensive) shoe outside.
Thanks everyone!

Herbie19
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
I'll leave them on 24/7 as long as they don't rub

These tend not to rub (there's always an exception to the rule though!). I find that they actually rest on the ground when the horse is standing, so they're really not touching much of the horse, at least on mine. Good luck!

Big Day
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:50 PM
Another Bevel Italian Bell Boot user here. My 17.3 WB wears a size 5 shoe (yes, you read that correctly) and I get him the XXLs. They literally last a year, being worn 24/7. Another trick I use to get them on is to have the farrier do it :lol::lol:
It works every time!

Blugal
Mar. 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
I like the Eventa brand. Have had several pairs, used in turnout 24/7 for years without issue, and easy to get on/off when I needed.

hequestrian
Mar. 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
I have used both Roma and Beval bell boots. I always buy gum because I bought my gelding a pair in black of the same size and for the life of me could not get them on. I find that because the Romas have a thick bottom they last really well. I am not sure if they come in the XL or not...

akhunterrider
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
Beval's pull on bell boots! I had a 10 dollar pair and my horse destroyed them pretty quickly.

Lucassb
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:38 AM
I have these in black, med. for my mare who's a med. in her other bell boots, and can't get them on for the life of me. Maybe if I get the gum in the XXL for my guy, I'll have better luck. Were they easy enough to get on the first time?
I'll leave them on 24/7 as long as they don't rub (and if they do, back to the velcro, because I don't want the barn staff having to pull bell boots on and off my very impatient, very large horse daily for turnout) but if they don't stretch as easily as the cheapies, I might go with those.

ETA: Just saw Herbie19's response. I think I'll be trying these - they seem easy enough to get on, and I need something longer. I really don't want a shorter bellboot causing him to lose a (very expensive) shoe outside.
Thanks everyone!

The black ones aren't stretchy at all, and the white ones are not much better. I don't know why, but the gum colored ones, ugly as they are, are WAY easier to get on and off.

jaybee
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:51 AM
we have ours in http://m.doversaddlery.com/X1-0410.html. they stretch and are easy enough to get on/off.

I have my horse in those 24/7 as well. They are pretty easy to put on and the double thickness helps a lot. From my experience, they last awhile too.

Jumper6252
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:25 AM

These ones are great! And the gum color is SO much stretchier than any of the other colors.

DMK
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
I found the inexpensive Dover gum ones are as easy to put on as the Italias and lasted about as long, BUT they do not come in large sizes, so you will probably end up using the Italias if you have a horse with a larger shoe size than a 2 (or even a "large" 2) - I had a horse who was a 3/4 and definitely needed the Italias, and my older TB is a 2, but one foot is more upright than the other and even that large boot is not the best fitting (the other lower heeled foot is fine though).

WB Mom
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
Another vote for the Beval gum boots. My boy also wears a size 5 shoe and when wearing these 24/7, I had no problems and they lasted forever.
I always put them in the sun for as long as possible prior to putting them on.
A change in farrier negated the need for these as he now does not pull his shoes in turnout. :D Still need them for competitions, so use the velcro XL Davis.

forestergirl99
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:01 PM

These are the best ones I've found.

Linz
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:32 PM
Beval gum for all the time wear. To show in my guy wears the Acavallo gel boots and they're amazing but definitely too tight for all the time.