PDA

View Full Version : What to do about super flexible ankles?

Spooks
Mar. 25, 2012, 01:10 PM
I am having a problem with my ankles when I ride. They are very, very flexible, to the point where when I am riding the toe can just slip right off the edge of the stirrup and I am missing that support for my leg. I ride in boots with laces, and they are laced up as tight as the boot will go, but my ankles are very small so there is no way to lace them up any tighter. Can I tape them in some way? Any other suggestions?

supaflyskye
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Buy some stiffer boots. Sorry that's an expensive suggestion, but it will help.
Taping your ankle up under the boot may do some good.

Rel6
Mar. 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
Try different stirrup pads like these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/super-comfort-pads/p/X1-0752/

I really like them and think they give a better grip than cheese graters without tearing up the sole of my new tall boots.

No suggestions on the ankles, but more grip in the stirrup might help with your foot sliding out.

Mayaty02
Mar. 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
agree with changing the stirrups or at least the pads...

2hounds
Mar. 25, 2012, 04:49 PM
When I was exercising at the racetrack I would use vet wrap on my ankles. I'm what the Rheumatologist calls hyper-mobile in all my joints.

EqTrainer
Mar. 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
I have very flexible ankles too.

I do not ride in flexi stirrups of any kind, old fashioned fillis works best.

Sandpaper pads.

I do yoga balances to strengthen them.

I also lace my boots up tight.

Try to spread your toes apart and make your foot wider therefore more stable.

I have to ride with stirrups a bit longer. I have really long legs, but its something about the ankles..

kashmere
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:21 PM
If your ankles are slim enough that you can fit comfortably in your boots with your ankles taped, I'd try that route.

Electrikk
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:31 PM
I second some sort of support-either vet wrap or an ace bandage. Nothing with any hard parts, the extra bits of stretchy fabric make a huge difference.

Spooks
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have the sandpaper pads and they help a LOT. I will try taping my ankles too!

collegialequestrian
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
Maybe try some ankle strengthening exercises as well? I usually don't have the problem of super-flexible ankles myself but once I did hyperextend an ankle and woweee that was not fun!

I am not an expert, but I have taken a few dance classes. One exercise that comes to mind is sitting with your legs flat in front of you. Point your toes, then uncurl them (as if you were standing on your tippytoes), then flex your ankle. Then repeat: toes up, toes pointed, flex ankle.

RockstarPony
Mar. 25, 2012, 11:28 PM
If taping under your boots feels too bulky, there's also some pre-sewn braces that you can get at the drugstore. They're like ace bandages, but they're made out of heavier material & are only one layer.

Zooie
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:58 AM
I used to have the same issue. Switching back to plain steel irons after using the more fashionable flexi-irons made a big difference, as did non-slip (grippy rubber) stirrup pads. Cheesegraters helped as well, but they were just too tough on my boots.

Gil's Girl
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:12 AM
I agree - no flexi stirrups - my ankles don't roll on me, but I tend to crank them down in the stirrup way too much, and the HS flex stirrups allow me to do it even more - I find my leg is more relaxed and less brazed in regular fillis.

Also LOVE the cheesegraters!

BeanCounterPony
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:32 AM
I had the same problem until I found a trainer who helped me recognize that heels down as far as the can possibly go wasnt a good thing.

I use the cheesegrater pads and they are fine. I put the rubber tinglies over my ariats so the cheesegrater pads have never been a problem eating up my boots.

What helped me was to think not so much heels down. I was jamming my heels down too far and I was flexible enough to do it. It was making my entire leg stiff and rigid and unbalanced. I actually "lift" my heels when riding now. Im actually able to use my foot in the stirrup. It feels funny but when I look at pictures, my heels are actually down but not so far they would slip out of the stirrup anymore.

Not sure you are having the sam problem but worth thinking about.