PDA

View Full Version : Who rides in a Frank Baines Elan?

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
There's a pretty good deal on one used. The saddle looks likely to fit, and it's wool-flocked anyway so can be adjusted. It has had less than two years of use. I would be using it for flatwork and low jumping.

Any warnings or endorsements?

UrbanHunterAntics
Mar. 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
I've got the Baines Victorian(?) model I believe. The tree is quite narrow, and I don't sit very well in it. It may be due to the fact that I bought it almost brand new from a consignment store, but it's rather slippery.. may just need to get beat-up a little.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:08 PM
bumping

UrbanHunter, I have never heard of that particular model. Is it a close contact saddle?

see u at x
Mar. 25, 2012, 12:08 AM
Hopefully Trixie will see this and chime in. She owns one and calls it "the couch." I've ridden in it and it's absolutely lovely and very comfortable.

Duckz
Mar. 25, 2012, 12:16 AM
I bought one new last fall. It's a beautifully made saddle. The leather is lovely. I must admit, I did NOT like it at first. I'd forgotten what it's like to break in a new saddle :lol: Now I love it. You probably can't go wrong with a late model Frank Baines that's been taken care of.

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:02 PM
Hopefully Trixie will see this and chime in. She owns one and calls it "the couch." I've ridden in it and it's absolutely lovely and very comfortable.

Looks like I'll have to send a PM!:)

Trixie
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'm awake! I adore mine. It is a giant couch. The only issue I have with it is that I think it's sort of ugly (I got spoiled with the butet leather). But other than that, I adore it and so does my horse. I've used it for jumping up to around 3'6".

It was more padding than I was used to on my previous saddles (Ashland and Butet) but I'm not complaining. It is sooooft. Also, it weighs a ton.

Ultimately I tried a whole bunch of similarly shaped saddles when I was searching and wasn't anywhere near as happy with any of the others.

ridingagain
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:39 PM
I bought mine from a woman in my barn who didn't like the way it fit her. It was very slightly used. Not sure if it is an Elan model, but I looove it - soooo comfortable! And I think it is very nice looking, too!

Trevelyan96
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
We have a 2001 Elan on consignment that's in brand new condition with a tack store because it did not fit the same as the 2009 model that fit DD and horse perfectly. She loved the newer one, hated the older one. I rode in it and found it comfortable, but since it didn't fit either of our horses, I decided to re-sell it.

I love FB saddles. I ride in the FB Elegance dressage saddle and now absolutely hate riding in any other saddle. Agree with Trixie, its a couch! Seriously considering replacing my current CC saddle with the FB Reflex.

mjhco
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:04 PM
There's a pretty good deal on one used. The saddle looks likely to fit, and it's wool-flocked anyway so can be adjusted. It has had less than two years of use. I would be using it for flatwork and low jumping.

Any warnings or endorsements?

I have one that is about 12 years old.

It has minimal padding. I find it very comfortable. The leather is in excellent shape.

I jumped about 3' in it.

I did have a friend ride in it and she thought it felt like a racing saddle (she is used to PADDING).

TheJenners
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
Not sure the model, just chiming in here. I rode in a borrowed FB for a week and loved it. Not a perfect fit, but it was still super comfy and beautiful. The owner took excellent care of it until a training horse flipped over on it and broke the tree. I think she held a small memorial service...

hollyhorse2000
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
Frank Baines makes nice saddles. I had a foam Elan a few years ago and found it very easy to ride in, although flattish (not a couch by any means). Sold it to a friend who still rides in it. I would recommend the saddle maker if the saddle fits you and the horse.