PDA

View Full Version : Tipperary T2 helmet - would you wear it at a rated show?

alterchicken
Mar. 24, 2012, 03:17 PM
After mega frustration with helmets not fitting, I finally went out and bought one of the new Tipperary T2 helmets and LOVE it :D

Have had an IRH, then a CO GR8, and then a GPA Titium. Used the IRH for years and never was that happy with the fit but it was OK. CO just did not fit, sold it after one ride, super hot too. Then the Titium which I thought fit, sure was nice in the store, as soon as I rode in it it kept shifting all over the place and down over my eyes after half the jumps. Sold that after one ride too. Ugh! Also tried on the new One K helmets - lovely to look at but way too shallow, didn't come close to fitting.

Came to the conclusion/realization that the helmets "fit" as far as size (and I have a really small head) but they weren't DEEP enough...guess I have some weird small but tall head. So they just never sat down far enough, always just perched on top of my head.

TADA the T2 is just WOW on the fit! SO comfortable, doesn't move a fraction even over the big jumps. And it's SO vented...from the inside it's like a mesh and you can see right through all the vents to the outside. I also like the really low flat back end, it protects the brain stem more than the typical helmet. And the finish on it is lovely. Best helmet I've ever owned.

To me it just looks like a poor man's Speed Air. But what does everyone else think? I mainly show A rated jumpers but have some young ones this year that I might dabble with in the hunters for mileage. Is this helmet acceptable for the hunter ring or would you feel embarrassed by it?

And yes this is shallow LOL. But let's face it, showing is stressful enough without feeling like people are snickering behind your back. Obviously the fit and safety of a helmet is the most important thing but no one likes to feel like a doofus and/or stand out like a sore thumb.

SO what say ye, COTH fashionistas?.... :lol:

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Do you currently have the helmet? What does the visor look like in person? Is it obviously different material than the rest of the helmet? Do you have a photo of you wearing it (someone asked to see a photo in another thread)? I am strongly considering buying one too. I mainly show hunters and I am slightly concerned with the snickers too but not enough to NOT buy one if everything else is great :yes:

alterchicken
Mar. 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
Do you currently have the helmet? What does the visor look like in person? Is it obviously different material than the rest of the helmet? Do you have a photo of you wearing it (someone asked to see a photo in another thread)? I am strongly considering buying one too. I mainly show hunters and I am slightly concerned with the snickers too but not enough to NOT buy one if everything else is great :yes:

Yes I did buy it. I thought it looked really nice in the store when I first saw it, it's not at all cheap looking like the Sportage. To be honest I didn't even notice the visor, it blended right in with the helmet, had no idea it was a different material until I touched it and noticed it was pliable, took me by surprise. I think it's a neat feature actually. I don't think anyone looking at it on your head would think eww that has a rubber visor :lol:

I'm curious myself how it looks when riding because I suspect from a distance people are just going to think it's a Speed Air. I don't have any pics of it on me yet but will soon.

Mara
Mar. 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
Here's my 2 cents.

The better the fit, the better the protection. That's what counts - not what other people think. Except, of course, the judge, and I doubt the judge will mark you down because of your helmet brand.

Besides, if it's more comfortable, you can better focus on your riding, instead of worrying about your helmet sliding down over your eyes or how badly it's pinching your noggin.

sp56
Mar. 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
It's not a $30 Troxel (which scare me because they look so insecure). You'll be fine.

Two things: 1) People pay a lot less attention to others than you may think and 2) If people are snickering about your helmet choices, then you've left them with very little else to snicker about (which is a good thing).

Start a trend. :)

tegotong
Mar. 25, 2012, 05:52 PM
I've worn one for years on the the top Canadian circuit. Mind you, I show in the jumpers. There is a famous hunter rider in the eastern US (can't remember his name) who rides in one.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:29 PM
If people are snickering about your helmet choices, then you've left them with very little else to snicker about (which is a good thing).

^ This. :yes:

Electrikk
Mar. 25, 2012, 06:33 PM
I think it would look fine! I like that it's not quite as buggy looking as the Speed Air.

Crazy-Pony
Mar. 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
What is the purpose of a helmet? To make us look cool? NO! Regardless of whether you're an eventer, a hunter-princess, or a trail rider, you wear a helmet to keep you safe. And in order for a helmet to do that, it must fit. Feeling like a doofus and/or standing out like a sore thumb sucks, no doubt, but a concussion sucks a million times more.

kbear
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
I just posted in the other helmet thread about this helmet.
I have a black T2, and i LOVE it. It is comfortable, lightweight and keeps my head cool. (I am also going to be showing the A circuit hunters this season).

As I mentioned in the other thread (before I saw this one), I've seen a few pros in my area wearing it as they go from hunter ring to jumper ring all day, so it is definitely an acceptable helmet for both!

It is comfy, cool AND safe...win win win!

I'll try and find pics...

Wholehearted
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:08 AM
I hate how the Speed Air looks and I think the T2 looks WAY better. If anything, I'd be envious of your nice helmet and probably ask you what it was and where you go it.

ontherocks
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:23 PM
OP, can I ask what IRH model you were using? I have an Elite and I'm thinking about getting a T2 for the summer because it looks like it would keep me a lot cooler.

alterchicken
Mar. 27, 2012, 04:24 PM
OP, can I ask what IRH model you were using? I have an Elite and I'm thinking about getting a T2 for the summer because it looks like it would keep me a lot cooler.

Sorry I don't know the model, it was one of the original "skunk" type helmets, I think I bought it in like 2001 or 2002 so not sure if they even had different models back then, sorry :) But that IRH for my head type was the only other helmet other than this T2 that came anywhere near to fitting my head.