PDA

View Full Version : Watching my barn get built

aspenlucas
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:48 PM
So some of you followed me through my offer and buying the farmette. Well we closed on Feb 21st and this week they started the barn building! I've taken pictures every day from the beginning of excavation, the the barn pad. We are on day FOUR and they have the roof on my barn and putting up the sides!

Its an 84 X 36 foot pole barn but they are putting in all my stall posts. I will put the stalls up. I have an 8 foot over hand off each side of the barn and four dutch doors on one side, so I can have four 20 X 24 foot paddocks.

I can post pictures of daily progress if anyone is interested.

The plan is to hopefully move horses NEXT weekend the 1st. Perimeter fence and fence posts for sacrifice areas is going in this week too!

quicksilverponies
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:54 PM
I am interested! We are about to purchase land for our new farm in SC and will have to build everything from the ground up! I would love to know about your barn design and layout please. Thanks and so happy for you!

Kiwayu
Mar. 24, 2012, 06:22 AM
My barn started going up this past Monday (March 19th) and should be complete this coming Friday. I'm putting up a 36' x 34' barn with 4 stalls, a wash stall and a tack room with stairs to the loft. It's a pole barn. I've been taking daily pictures and putting them on my FB page. I'm hoping to move in in 2-3 weeks.

So exciting!!!!! :D

jawa
Mar. 24, 2012, 10:30 AM
I would also love to see updates on the barn/farm projects. I have some ideas on what I'd like for my future barn and farm layout, but its always good to see what others have decided on.

Kiwayu
Mar. 24, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'd be more than willing to show anyone my progress but you will have to friend me on FB, as only "friends" can see my pics.

goodhors
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:02 PM
Can you do driven posts in your area for the fence? We have those and love them. Fence went in fast, posts have stayed tight and straight over many years. We have broken a couple over the years by hitting them with mowing machinery, but no other problems.

Do some layouts on paper, gate placements, maybe some double fence lines for no reaching over fences to get horses in trouble. Horses reaching always seem to do a bit of striking, THEN get tangled. We had the fence guys back out to replace the broken posts, added a couple gates on the line fences so I can go between pastures without having to go around the barn and move all the mats under the gates. Really needed that for the chain harrow and fertilizer wagon that is SO BIG. Should have set some fences back further, for more space snow plowing and driving trucks around between the barns. 16ft SOUNDS big until you have to turn corners!!

I think filling fence post holes is one of the worst jobs ever. So finding a person with a post driver to do our fences was a blessing. Well worth paying to have that post driver come in and set your posts for you.

Have you run conduit for pulling electric and water lines thru? I wish we had done that for automatic waterers before we poured the cement. If you have the tubes already in, you can pull stuff later. Suggestion is to put in MORE electric wires than you THINK you need. Copper wire is never going to get cheaper. We broke a wire, now have less circuts to the barn. Replacing the wire is going to be expensive, because we didn't run it thru conduit, just trenched it in. No idea where the break is, but it sure wasted a lot of electric before we found the problem. Wasted the money paying for that electric too.

Congrats on the barn. Things have certainly moved RIGHT along for your family and the horses.

aspenlucas
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:43 PM
Sorry they are not in order. :( I can't seem to move them around. But here they are so far. Did not take a picture last night so will get that today or tomorrow of Day 4, that was mid day.
http://s535.photobucket.com/albums/ee359/aspenlucas/Barn%20House%20Progress%202012/

There will be 14 10 X 12 stalls. One side every other stall will have a 4 foot dutch door to a paddock. One end will have a 12 X 14 tack area and the other side a 12 X 14 area where you can enter a people door and I'll put my stocks there.

We are beyond excited! The fence is going up next week. We are having vinyl coated wire around the perimeter. We are along the interstate and though there is a huge fence there the horses HAVE to stay in. They will pound our post for the sacrifice areas (four) and also for my four paddocks. So I won't have to be pounding any posts. I'll just run the wire up (most likely premeir rope fence).