PDA

View Full Version : Helmet/Heat Question

RumorHasIt301
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:15 PM
As we are experiencing a Spring heat wave in Virginia, I am finding myself dreading the summer weather. I have always had issues dealing with heat (I would enjoy sun bathing in 50-60 degree weather). I currently ride in a GR8 or Hampton CO. Do you guys think that a better ventilated helmet would provide any heat relief? What are your experiences with the AYR8, KEP, and/or Speed Air helmets? Is the larger price tag 'worth it' for the speed air? Which helmet would you choose based on "coolness" and safety?

Thanks for your input!

asterix
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:17 PM
Tipperary. Relatively inexpensive, big air vents. You would probably choose to show in something else, but they are extremely comfortable and the coolest helmets I've ever tried.

Dramapony_misty
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:28 PM
Look at the Ovation Helmets. They give a more "traditional" profile than the Tipps so you could still use it for show, and they are super-affordable. I'm wearing the Deluxe Schooler in black in my profile picture. Even in black, they are nicely vented.

www.ovationriding.com

Kestrel
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:58 PM
I show in a CO GR8, but I find it so hot I went and bought myself an Ovation (not sure about the model) because it's sooo much cooler. Greatly decreases the sweat output.

flashwhitelock
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:05 PM
the helmet can only do so much. try getting one of the chill vests to put under your clothes. My sister has MS and has to keep her body temp regulated. The chill vest works the best to keep temps comfortable and still ride. they make them very thin these days.

Peggy
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
Ovation. It even has a liner you can take out and wash.

Punkie
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
My SpeedAir is by far the coolest helmet I've ridden in; but I also show in it, so it was worth the money. I also use one of those ridiculous visors to keep the sun off my face (I like to say that the visor looks less stupid than skin cancer!) which actually makes a big difference with the heat as well.

I'm facing due west at about 6:00 in the evening in this picture and my face is still completely in shadows! No sun = less heat!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/PippaCavalli/426453_619879489451_8002195_32991562_96590219_n.jp g

equidae
Mar. 24, 2012, 03:02 AM
My SpeedAir is by far the coolest helmet I've ridden in; but I also show in it, so it was worth the money. I also use one of those ridiculous visors to keep the sun off my face (I like to say that the visor looks less stupid than skin cancer!) which actually makes a big difference with the heat as well.

I'm facing due west at about 6:00 in the evening in this picture and my face is still completely in shadows! No sun = less heat!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/PippaCavalli/426453_619879489451_8002195_32991562_96590219_n.jp g

I LOVE the look of those ridiculous visors!

I'm thinking of getting one. I need one this summer in Florida. I'm just nervous I won't be able to 'pull it off'.. eh, who cares right!?

:yes:

MoonLadyIsis
Mar. 24, 2012, 06:54 AM
Ovation helmet...I just ordered my second one for this summer (also in VA) and you can actually feel the breeze through it. I had the extreme, but just went with the deluxe schooler. I would totally show in it...Who cares as long as it is approved and keeps me from heat stroke? The only reason I had to replace the first one is because of an iffy fall. But they are well worth the 60 bucks!

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 24, 2012, 08:08 AM
I also was looking for a cheaper alternative for a cooling helmet.

Not to hijack but has anyone seen the Tipperary T2 Helmet in person?
Asterix- is this the helmet you were referring to? or a different model?

I am not a Tipperary fan but this helmet looks intriguing. http://www.doversaddlery.com/tipperary-t2-helmet/p/X1-36306/

I know it probably wouldn't be acceptable (looks-wise) in the hunters but maybe the jumpers? I am concerned because they list the brim is made of a different material (plastic/rubber?) than the actual helmet. I didn't know how bad that may look up close. Anyone??

RolyPolyPony
Mar. 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Last summer after my JR8 (which I love) nearly gave me heat stroke, I picked up a Tipp Sportage and the difference was AMAZING. Yeah, I still get a sweaty head when it's hot out, but no longer is the sweat pouring down my face while I get ready to pass out! ;)

So, yes, vents DO make a difference!

Dewey
Mar. 24, 2012, 08:46 AM
Try one of these:

http://www.smartipony.com/cool-medics-cooling-cap

I live in the deep South, and I bought one for myself. I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to a cooler head this summer.

changeofheart1
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:14 AM
Still in love with my GPA Titium Professional. After almost having heat strokes from my baking head in the old velvet helmets, I could tell a HUGE difference. I know they are pricey, but if you show they still look good in the ring (even though the trend is the CO's, I like the GPA look better).

Hunter Mom
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
Another vote for Ovation. I had a nasty fall in mine, split it wide open but walked away without a consussion. Went right out and bought another. I also don't feel like i'm about to die in the heat. For show, I got an IRH SSV helmet, which is also quite cool.

Regardless
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:52 AM

I am not a Tipperary fan but this helmet looks intriguing. http://www.doversaddlery.com/tipperary-t2-helmet/p/X1-36306/

I know it probably wouldn't be acceptable (looks-wise) in the hunters but maybe the jumpers? I am concerned because they list the brim is made of a different material (plastic/rubber?) than the actual helmet. I didn't know how bad that may look up close. Anyone??

I am also wondering about this helmet. Anyone have one? I would *love* to see pictures! The stock photos always look so different than real life.

indygirl2560
Mar. 24, 2012, 01:17 PM
I upgraded from a jr8 and Wellington pro to an AYR8. The fit is way better for me than the other helmets and while it is a lot cooler, I do still sweat a lot in it, (though that could be because I ride with my hair up in my helmet). My friend loves her SpeedAir but I just couldn't justify the price tag, (I bought my AYR8 on deep discount).

PNWjumper
Mar. 24, 2012, 02:54 PM
The kid I had riding one of my sales horses last year bought a CO AYR8 and said it felt the same as my SpeedAir (which she tried on but didn't fit her head shape). I love that I can feel a breeze on my scalp when I ride in hot weather. Huge difference over my old GPAs (titium or whatever they were).

mojo7777
Mar. 24, 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm very sensitive to the heat (it's a migraine trigger), and I'm happy with the IRH Elite Extreme.

sooner
Mar. 24, 2012, 04:22 PM
The OneK helmet is relatively new to the market but is definitely a "cool vented and cool to show in" helmet. It can also be had with a sunshield that dissappears into the helmet for super sunny or glarey days. It has a removeable, washable liner too! It is by far the most comfortable and cool helmet I've ever had! www.onekhelmets.com

Kitty
Mar. 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have a First Lady GPA. Here in FL it's been in the 80s consistently for awhile and no sweating at all! The ventilation in this helmet is much like the SpeedAir. It's pretty amazing! My head used to be dripping wet in the old GPA Titium, now nothing! Worth every penny and that nice wide brim keeps the sun damage to a minimum!!

comingback
Mar. 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
Try one of these:

http://www.smartipony.com/cool-medics-cooling-cap

I live in the deep South, and I bought one for myself. I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to a cooler head this summer.

How thin is it? Just curious how much it will impact helmet fit....

Dewey
Mar. 24, 2012, 07:07 PM
How thin is it? Just curious how much it will impact helmet fit....

It's thin. I bought the child size since I have a pin head. I tried it on with my show helmet, and it's comfy. It looks like a yarmulke.

Perfect10
Mar. 24, 2012, 10:28 PM
Is there any helmet that is vented and fits like a CO that isn't a Ovation? Maybe I'm the only person on the planet, but the Ovations barely cover half of my head and i look ridiculous in one, not to mention it would do nothing to protect the back of my head in a fall.

kateh
Mar. 25, 2012, 12:17 AM
I've got a Tipperary that I love and is a hell of a lot cooler than any other helmet I've ridden in.

Also if you have problems with heat, make sure you drink water before, during and after riding. I've got normally low blood pressure and if I'm even a touch dehydrated I positively wilt in the heat.

2tempe
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:49 AM
I'm partial to C. Owen fit, so retired my OLD one last year and got an Ayr8 o4 whatever their vented helmet is. From florida, I can tell you that it is a definite improvement over the regular CO; Most of the sweat is around the perimeter of the helmet; top of my head no longer feels like I was swimming.

Would I like something cooler? Absolutely, but the experimentation gets a bit pricy. I'm thinking of rigging up one of those little personal fans on top of my head - or maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Mate-692-Solar-Safari-Cool/dp/B0002SNPDO

Natalie A
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:04 AM
Has anyone tried one of the Equivisors with a Tipperary? Wonder if it would still work with the weird brim... might need to invest in one this summer if I'm riding without a covered arena!

Electrikk
Mar. 25, 2012, 07:38 PM
'm thinking of rigging up one of those little personal fans on top of my head - or maybe something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Mate-692-Solar-Safari-Cool/dp/B0002SNPDO

I was thinking about tying a short stirrup kid to my saddle and having her spritz me with water every few minutes. It would get the job done!

vxf111
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
Out of everything I have tried, my Tipperary Sportage seems to be the coolest!

JumpWithPanache
Mar. 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
I liked my Tipp Sportage (original) and would certainly recommend it for schooling purposes. I have a Samshield now and the air flow through it is fantastic, although I was very skeptical because you can't see the venting very well. Looks like the lower priced options have the same venting so you don't necessarily have to shell out a lot of money for the helmet.

equest
Mar. 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
Tipperary. Relatively inexpensive, big air vents. You would probably choose to show in something else, but they are extremely comfortable and the coolest helmets I've ever tried.

Agreed. I ride in South Florida, and just about everyone at my barn rides in these for hacking and lessons.

Vesper Sparrow
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:03 AM
I don't live in Florida, thank heavens, because I don't do heat well. I ride in a Tipperary for everyday.

I did replace my all velvet helmet that I used for showing (I think it was a Elite Professional) with one with a skunk stripe, with vents in the stripe (also an Elite) and found it made a significant difference, at not a huge cost.

kbear
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have the black T2 and Love it!
I am also a Hunter rider, and will be showing in it this summer on the A circuit.
I've also seen a few pros in my area wearing it as they bounce from hunter ring to jumper ring, so it is definitely acceptable in both.

I strongly suggest getting this helmet. it is SO comfy, lightwight, and COOL. And, the way the back of the helmet is constructed it feels secure on my head.
love love love it!

Perfect10
Mar. 29, 2012, 03:33 PM
Has anyone tried the new One K helmets? How are they in terms of coolness?

ponyjumper525
Mar. 30, 2012, 11:53 AM
Do you think it makes a difference if you wear your hair up or not? Like is it hotter with your hair up vs down?
Thanks!

Electrikk
Mar. 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
Do you think it makes a difference if you wear your hair up or not? Like is it hotter with your hair up vs down?
Thanks!

The back of my neck always feels cooler if I don't have hair sticking to it, and hair in my helmet doesn't seem to really affect how hot I get. I can see how if your hair is right in front of all the vents you wouldn't feel a breeze on your scalp as much, but hair up would still be cooler than hair down.

Just adding to the helmets, I just switched from a CO skull cap and a Wellington to a AYR8 and I'm IN LOVE. It's so nice and breezy. I would assume that helmets with more/bigger vents would be cooler/more airy based off my little experience with vented helmets. It doesn't make a huge difference to my body temp, but I'm one of those people who feels much better if my face/head/neck doesn't feel like it's burning up.

TarheelJD
Mar. 30, 2012, 09:38 PM
I liked my Tipp Sportage (original) and would certainly recommend it for schooling purposes. I have a Samshield now and the air flow through it is fantastic, although I was very skeptical because you can't see the venting very well. Looks like the lower priced options have the same venting so you don't necessarily have to shell out a lot of money for the helmet.

I've been debating about spending the money on a Samshield. I love the way it fits me, but I have a perfectly good AYR8, so it is hard to justify the money. Especially without knowing how cool it is.

Cabaret SK
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
Is there any helmet that is vented and fits like a CO that isn't a Ovation? Maybe I'm the only person on the planet, but the Ovations barely cover half of my head and i look ridiculous in one, not to mention it would do nothing to protect the back of my head in a fall.

I had this exact problem - ride in COs & Tipperarys, and then tried the Ovation, and it was a terrible fit!

I have my GR8 for shows, but love my Tipperary T2 for schooling. It's super cool (temp wise) - you can feel the air going through it as you ride!

vanraf
Mar. 30, 2012, 11:12 PM
Has anyone tried the new One K helmets? How are they in terms of coolness?

Just ordered one, so hopefully I'll be able to report back in the next week from sunny, hot Arizona! BUT from trying one on in the tack store, and having a JR8 and various others in the past to compare it to, it felt super light and well ventilated, so I'm pretty excited about it!

RiderWriter
Mar. 31, 2012, 01:56 PM
I would LOVE an AYR8 but can't justify the cost (not showing). Still want the look, though, and I found this: http://www.smartpakequine.com/irh-air-10-helmet-9507p.aspx
Does anyone have a report on how these perform in the heat (or in general)? I have a much-vented schooling helmet right now - older Aegis, needs to be replaced - so don't want something that will cook my head. Glad this thread came up!

ontherocks
Mar. 31, 2012, 05:31 PM
I would LOVE an AYR8 but can't justify the cost (not showing). Still want the look, though, and I found this: http://www.smartpakequine.com/irh-air-10-helmet-9507p.aspx
Does anyone have a report on how these perform in the heat (or in general)? I have a much-vented schooling helmet right now - older Aegis, needs to be replaced - so don't want something that will cook my head. Glad this thread came up!

I have the IRH Elite (http://www.irhhelmets.com/ELITE-IRH-Riding-Helmet-ID-1.html) which is supposed to be designed to keep cool, but my head gets incredibly hot when I use it. I get overheated very easily, though, so others who are not as prone to overheating may disagree.

Thoroughbred in Color
Mar. 31, 2012, 06:05 PM
Tipperary or Ovation depending on head shape. I have a small head, and the Ovation helmets fit me better than most. Huge vents with great airflow are great for warm weather riding. It does get a little cool riding in the winter though.

RumorHasIt301
Mar. 31, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! If I do invest in a ventilated helmet, I would like to be able to show in it. I'm not sure that the Tipperary would be appropriate (although the price is appealing!). Does anyone have experience with the Speed Air or KEP versus the CO GR8 (or similar helmets)? Has anyone used the cool medics products?

Dewey
Apr. 1, 2012, 09:09 AM
I have not used the cool medics products yet, but this summer I intend to. I did find a couple of threads that might be helpful:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312016&highlight=cool+medics

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346863&highlight=cool+medics

CaitlinandTheBay
Apr. 1, 2012, 05:49 PM
I have the IRH Elite (http://www.irhhelmets.com/ELITE-IRH-Riding-Helmet-ID-1.html) which is supposed to be designed to keep cool, but my head gets incredibly hot when I use it. I get overheated very easily, though, so others who are not as prone to overheating may disagree.

I'm not prone to overheating and I love my Elite! I can feel the breeze, which is amazing in the hot Texas summers (when it's 100 degrees in the shade). In fact, if I had a complaint, it would be that I hate it for winter riding because my head gets cold!

pwrpfflynn
Apr. 2, 2012, 03:43 PM
I got a Ovation Carbon Fiber schooling helmet. Runs around $130 but I love it. Super light weight with the "real" Carbon Fiber not the look a like printed stuff.

Across Sicily
Apr. 4, 2012, 04:32 AM

I have one. I got it about a month ago as a replacement for a Tipp Sportage I fell and bonked my head in, and I like this helmet a lot. If I need to replace it for whatever reason, at this point I plan to replace it with another T2. However, I am a Speed Air kinda girl, and like the look of them (and own one that I compete in - but I refuse to wear a $600 helmet schooling!)

You do not notice any difference between the brim and the helmet. Actually, you mentioning they're different is the first I've even seen of it! I don't have the helmet near me, but I can't recall any tangible difference. It obviously hasn't bothered me any.

I would be a little more hesitant to wear this one in the hunters than the SpeedAir, because I do think it's a little more... hmm... obvious. If you get the black on black, though, you'd probably be fine.

Cooling wise, I actually prefer this to the Sportage, and even to the SpeedAir. It certainly hasn't reached heat wave standards here in the great white north just yet, but we've had a few 70-80* days already (gah!!!!) and the helmet has done a really nice job. I'm the person who soaks their helmet in the dead of winter at -20* (that's in a CO AYR8, btw!), so the fact that my hair is hardly damp in such warm temperatures says *a lot*. I would rate it as the best ventilating helmet I've ever worn, and I've ridden in the CO AYR8, the SpeedAir, various old-school vent-y Troxels, the Sportage, the IRH Elite and ATH SSV... etc. Big fan.

Elementgrl2
Apr. 4, 2012, 07:41 AM
Another vote for The First Lady, It keeps the sun off my face and keeps my head cool as well. It's worth the money