PDA

View Full Version : Another tack room design question

Toadie's mom
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:45 PM
Building a 30'x40' metal barn and my biggest decision so far is should I put a window in the tack room? It will have good overhead lighting, but do you think there is any benefit/detriment to natural lighting?

I'm worried about the heat (Texans can relate) since the window would be on the west side. There won't be any feed or medications in the tack room.

fooler
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:09 PM
The window will hold an air conditioner and allow outside light if you wish. Downside - lack of security.

bits619
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:34 AM
Would any of the leather fade in the sunlight? Honest question, I'm not sure myself, but I thought about it because one of my trainer's saddles seems faded where the leg and seat do not lie- lighter than the rest. I don't know if that's a sun bleaching thing or not. UV protection on the glass would help probably.

Ditto on the security. A curtain/blind won't fix that but may help make things less obvious if someone were to look inside while you were gone.

I'm all for natural light, so I'd be inclined to put it in :-)

bits619
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:36 AM
Also, depending on the layout, it may be nice to have a window there for a quick and easy way to check outside. I know with our dogs, the living room doesn't have a window to the backyard and i wish I could quickly peek out if suddenly there's a bunch of noise.

Toadie's mom
Mar. 24, 2012, 01:15 PM
I had originally told the builder no, because of the security issue. Then I thought it would be nice to check on the dogs, etc. Now I'm thinking no again, because unless I'm cleaning tack how long am I going to be in there? I'll probably be in the wash bay more than I'm in the tack room, and that definitely won't have a window.

I can't imagine building a house. I'd never be able to make that many decisions:lol:

mvp
Mar. 24, 2012, 02:37 PM
Yes, put it in.

There are times while cleaning tack when you need a "sunlight reality check" on what you are doing/really looking at.

PNWjumper
Mar. 24, 2012, 04:10 PM
I don't have a window in my tack room and there's never been a moment when I wished I had one. I clean my tack in the aisle way (no desire to get water on the rug I have in the tack room) and I prefer the security of knowing there's no way in other than the heavy wood door (which also does not have a window).

But it wouldn't be too hard to secure a window if you wanted the light. And curtains would keep the sunlight from bleaching things if you went that route.

JB
Mar. 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
Do you HAVE to clean the tack in the tack room? I would be concerned about a West-facing window and your many months of heat. You can definitely make the window pretty secure if you need do, so that wouldn't concern me.

Toadie's mom
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:14 PM
Do you HAVE to clean the tack in the tack room? I would be concerned about a West-facing window and your many months of heat. You can definitely make the window pretty secure if you need do, so that wouldn't concern me.
I'm still leaning towards no. You're right. I'll have a big overhead door and I can just clean in the aisle, if I think the light isn't good enough in the tack room. I am putting a a sink in the tack room though, so just seems more convenient to do everything in there.

cyriz's mom
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:52 PM
TM - Did you win the lottery and forget your friends????? I want an invite when it's finished!