PDA

View Full Version : Help! I "Toe out!"

TesignedInGold
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
So I don't necessarily have a conformational flaw, but I've lost muscle after being turned out for the winter. So In bringing myself back to work, I've notice that I am "toeing out"... ALOT. Particulary over fences.

Now, I show in the 3' and my first show is in a couple of weeks. I probably should've began conditioning myself sooner...(as opposed to 2 weeks before the show, after 5 months off.)

How can I get my bleepin toes to face forward!! This has never been a problem before!

And I know, I'm riding off the back of my calf, to and think of using the inside of my calf instead of the back. But for whatever reason, as much as I think I am doing just that, my toes are out in most over-fences pictures. Doesn't matter if its a 2 foot vertical, or a 3'6 oxer.

Any favorite exercises for addressing this issue? Its driving me nuts!

Frivian
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
I have this problem and it helps me to focus on strengthening my hip flexors. Yoga is a huge, huge help.

MyssMyst
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
Yup, it's hip flexors. Bring your toe in by rotating your leg at the hip.

auhunter
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:19 PM
Two point through a small gymanstic so you can just stay up, grab mane and focus on you. Actually, a ton of two point, ride with out stirrups and focus on holding you leg where it should be... all of this in addition to hip flexor stuff. Have fun!! Good luck at the show :)

Electrikk
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:17 PM
I also have evil feet that like to stick out :)
For off-horse exercises, I do lots and lots of squats, making sure that my feet are properly forward. I try to spread my legs close to the distance apart that they'd be if I was on my horse. Depending on if you have stairs in your house/how they're built, you can try doing squats on the edge of the stair with your heels off the step and down, holding on to the railing for balance. Squats on the stairs are more for muscle memory than for strength, squats on regular flat ground are for building up those muscles to keep your feet straight.

oxLetsGoCanterxo
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
I.have.the.same.problem. I found that I was not flexible enough in my hips, by sitting on the floor every night and doing the 'butterfly stretch' (feet together, knees out, folding your upper body downward) My toes are starting to get a lot better. I would definitely do that everyday :)