PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Trailering a horse.

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have a 12 year old horse ( I have had him for the last 3 years) that has been shown all of his life and hauled a lot but I guess he was never really hauled in a straight load trailer so after lots of work we get him used to riding in our smaller straight load trailer with our other horse. He has been good for about the last 4 months but now he has decided he can't get his balance right & scrambles around mainly corners (left is worse than right). We have stopped hauling him in the smaller trailer & put him back in our big slant load & took one of the dividers and now he is doing much better. He has always kicked even in our slant trailer when you first take off or stop so don' know if he has ever really been comfortable hauling. I just wondered if anyone else has had this situation happen to them before? Can we ever get him back in the smaller trailer you think?

Char
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:27 AM
Drive. Slower.

Carol Ames
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
MUCH slower starting and around corners:yes:; does he have room to spread his feet??by straight load do you mean a tagalong trailer with two stalls, side by side; divided or not?A stock trailer or slant load with second divider taken out to form a large BOX stall leaving him freee to position himself as he feels most balanced:cool: may be the solution:yes: How, in what was he trailered before?:confused:

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:11 PM
The speed isn't the issue. I have creeped around a corner & he still does it. The slant load is a regular 3 stall horse trailer. The small one is a single side by side. I don't know what he used to haul in before I got him but I am pretty sure it was a slant since he was with a big named trainer. Removing the back divider has really helped him to widen his stance & stay more balanced.

FineAlready
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
It might just be a personal preference for this horse. What makes you think that the BNT was hauling in a slant? Most BNTs I know do not haul in slants (slants are not really that common anymore, from what I can tell) - many (most?) haul in large head-to-heads. Maybe he was used to facing the rear when shipping before? In any event, I guess I would just continue to haul him in the slant if that is how he is safest/most comfortable.

downen
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
I "fixed" two scramblers by always putting them on the left side of the trailer. Not sure why, but it made a HUGE difference for both of them.

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
I know the trainer that had him since he was 3 years old & they have a slant. I tried putting him on the left side & that didn't work either. I have searched the web & I guess this is some what of a common problem but I have never heard of it. I just don't know if I should ever try to put him back in the straight load or just forget it. It is just easier for me to haul around the 2 stall trailer rather than our 30 ft goose neck : )

Christa P
Mar. 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
If you are hauling him alone you could take the partition out a give him one big stall. No ideas if you need to haul 2 aside from the larger trailer.

Christa

pwrpfflynn
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:46 PM
We do need the front stall for my other horse.

M. O'Connor
Mar. 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
Slants are very common depending on where in the country you are. We have a slant and so do many others in VA, but up here in NY it's quite a novelty at times.

Some horses just need more room. Why don't you just ask his previous trainer how they shipped him?

Burbank
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
my horse does not like little bumper pull straight loads, he likes a slant, he hauled quite well in them so when we bought a trailer, we bought a slant, now I feel a tad silly with one horse a a 3h slant since we put or old man down but hey its what he likes

california rider
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
Slant loads are super popular and so are head to head trailers. I do see more head to heads on the East coast and more slant loads on the West coast.

What a horse rides in better is always debated... And for the most part "most" horses go well in both with good drivers as long as they are not stuffed (op keeps stating smaller and maybe this horses does not have enough room in the straight load she owns) into a trailer. I do have horses who prefer my larger back slot and a couple who ride better on the short wall of my slant and 2 that climb the short wall.

Scramblers we don't have a lot of but they come that way often and SLOWER more prepared turns is the answer for 80% but people don't want to hear or read that because nobody wants to think they are contributing to the problem. IT'S not just the speed in the turn but the prep before a turn as I have been behind trailers that are going almost too slow on or off free way and that trailer is a rockin'. You need to have the speed you want to go before the turn while you are on the straight away and this way you keep the gas pedal on not the break pedal through a turn, you WANT FLOW like when you ride your horse in a turn while jumping... You pull on the reins or pump the breaks through the whole turn and you get the same result UNHAPPY HORSES. Have taught a lot of clients to pull and re educate those drivers horses who did not scramble after a couple turn with me behind the wheel when they trusted the turns.

Some horses are not good haulers for a myriad of reasons but most with good hauling, a large enough trailer will figure it out. While not legal I have pulled a few drivers in the back of the rig just a few turns and then they realize. With engine breaking on many of the trucks my job is even easier without all the breaking. Also not understanding why OP would put the horse BACK in the small trailer? Lastly those one slot trailers are miserable to ride in as are most bumper pull trailers. Any scoffers can hop in the back of a bumper pull and gooseneck to feel the profound difference for the horses. I find you must be a much better driver also to pull a bumper pull well. Heck watch both types of trailers on the freeway changing lanes!