PDA

View Full Version : Weight of a steel trailer?????????

hunterandeq75
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:26 AM
Any idea on the weight of a 4 horse gooseneck steel trailer? Particularly a 1993 Sundowner with average size dressing room? Owner SWEARS the title says 3300 lbs but that seems really light for even an aluminum......

Thanks

KitKat987
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
No idea, although I'm sure 3300 is WAY off base! More like double that I'd imagine.

horsetales
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
This one says 5900 lbs just as a comparison, so I don't think 3300 can be right
http://www.doubledtrailers.com/safetack_4_Horse_Gooseneck.htm

Ibex
Mar. 23, 2012, 04:19 PM
Um, my very basic 2h BP steel trailer is 2950, No way a 4H GN is that light...

2bee
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:42 PM
A steel (or good aluminum) trailer will weigh about 250lbs per foot of floor, LQ trailers are a variable of course. 'Title' is wrong, I would guess around 5500lbs.

goodhors
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Call the Sundowner Company and ask them.

I know folks who go to get the trailer weighed for license and remove all the parts possible. One even took off the rear doors!!! Less weight did make the plates cost less. Then MI went to one-price, one-time paying for license. Weight wasn't much of a factor then, since license was good for the entire time you own the trailer.

You could also have the seller take trailer to a scale and give you the ticket, you pay him for cost of weight ticket and hauling it over. Then you will have "the real" base weight to figure if this outfit will work for you. Adding equines, matting, tack and feed, could add up to quite a bit, so you want to know if hitch and your truck are up to that load BEFORE purchasing.

Belg
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:55 PM
3300 Kilos maybe... Wife's steel 4h slant is shall we say "noticeable" when hitched. Featherlite? And my Belgian is slender... Awesome trailer though ;)

Belg
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:57 PM
PS plate should be up front somewhere, stamped with the curb weight and the max loaded weight.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 24, 2012, 08:03 AM
Don't trust the weights on the Double D's plates. They intentionally put light weights on them as they are out of NC and in that state you have to get a special license for a combined weight rating over 10,000 lbs. I can't remember what is on the plate on mine but it's absurdly light compared to what it really weighs.

Now my all steel Double D is a 4 horse slant, it also has a 10 ft. living quarters with a slide out. It weights 10,000 lbs empty. I'd guess a "normal" 4 horse would be around 6500 to 7000 lbs empty. I'd weighed mine at a local scale so I know exactly what it is.

Belg
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:13 AM
6084 dry, 14k gross on the featherlite stl

Belg
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:16 AM
Don't trust the weights on the Double D's plates. They intentionally put light weights on them as they are out of NC and in that state you have to get a special license for a combined weight rating over 10,000 lbs. I can't remember what is on the plate on mine but it's absurdly light compared to what it really weighs.

Surprised that's not a federal offense... Interstate commerce and all...

kerlin
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:40 AM
Agreed with everyone else that it doesn't matter a bit what the title says. Mine is titled & registered at 2/3 its weight to fit into a weight class that doesn't require extra fees. (Previous owner did this; when I investigated correcting it the costs would have run to hundreds of dollars, so I left it alone.)

The best way to be absolutely sure is to ask the owner to take it to a highway weighing station. Call your state police, and they'll be able to tell you the nearest one.

GypsyQ
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:41 AM
My 2H steel GN with dressing room is ~4500 lbs empty.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:40 PM

I was pretty shocked when I found that out also. I already owned the trailer though. It was when I called them to get a straight answer on it, that I was told that they do that.

2bee
Mar. 24, 2012, 01:35 PM

I was pretty shocked when I found that out also. I already owned the trailer though. It was when I called them to get a straight answer on it, that I was told that they do that.

They can legally "under-rate" it at whatever number suits them. Not uncommon to find 6 ton equipment trailers rated at 9990lbs for that very purpose. Same with the large Uhaul trucks with GVWR under the 26,000 cdl limit. What you actually can load it to depends on what state/federal/commercial laws apply to you and your usage.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 24, 2012, 05:12 PM
I just looked at my trailer's plate. It says 9900 lbs for GVWR. Fully loaded my trailer will weigh about 15,000 lbs. Figure 10,000 empty and add 4 horses and tanks of water, etc...