PDA

View Full Version : Quick help - how to get Desitin off horse?

KingoftheRoad
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:29 AM
So I love Desitin for clearing up cannon crud. Put it on, leave it a few days, cannon crud gone.

One problem...going to show - how do I get the dang stuff off my black horse? I tried scrubbing/soaking with Palmolive last night, at least three times, and while it faded, he still has some white streaks! And the scrubbing just seemed to pull hair, and in one case, a little bit of skin off (which made me feel AWFUL!).

Any ideas on how to get rid of that stuff? I don't want to have to color his whole back legs in with a Sharpie! (not really.....but you get the picture) :D

DarkStarrx
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Canon Crud? Do you mean Scratches? Are you sure the hair isn't coming off because of the scratches? I've seen that happen. Desitin is hell to get out of anything, I would never put that on my horse's hair. You could try cornstarch/baby powder it whilst dry, then wash it with Dawn.

I usually just take a little bit of medicated shampoo and scrub with my fingernails for awhile, rinse out and apply MTG. Repeat everyday until gone. Also helps to clips the legs.

armyaaronswife
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:54 AM
Try baby wipes....it works to get it off my son's hiney :)
Let us know what works!

HobbyHorse101
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
You can always spray a can of shapelys over it.

rwfarm
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:48 AM
anything oil based. WD40 will work. Googone will work too.

Trixie
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:11 AM
Canon Crud? Do you mean Scratches? Are you sure the hair isn't coming off because of the scratches? I've seen that happen. Desitin is hell to get out of anything, I would never put that on my horse's hair. You could try cornstarch/baby powder it whilst dry, then wash it with Dawn.

The desitin does work well on scratches, actually. But I've never tried to get it off.

DarkStarrx
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:21 AM
The desitin does work well on scratches, actually. But I've never tried to get it off.

Yea, I've used desitin on other horse situations, but the stuff is like axle grease, I don't think I would ever let it sit in the hair for a few days. I've seen mothers curse the powers above when it gets in toddler hair, the rug, clothes etc.

Coreene
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:49 AM
Baby oil. Leave it on for a minute or two and all gunk comes off, including cannon crud.

spina
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
agree that baby oil would probably work. I'd also try Dawn dish soap - they've had ads for years with someone washing crude oil off oil-spill-coated baby ducks and assorted wildlife who seem to come out sparkling clean and perky.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
So I love Desitin for clearing up cannon crud. Put it on, leave it a few days, cannon crud gone.

Next time try KY jelly, you don't have to leave it in for days and it rinses off easily. I read about it in Practical Horseman, used one of those jelly scrubbers and it works great. :yes:

My sister's two year old got into the Desitin when he was supposed to be taking a nap and spread it throughout his hair and all over his clothes, the bedding, toys. Even after three shampoos in one day he still looked as greasy as a sardine. :D

PonyPenny
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:50 PM
Use Dawn. It is used to wash crude oil of marine animals and it is the only dishwashing soap that works. You also might try rubbing alcohol on a rag.

mvp
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:28 PM

Or the orange stuff made for mechanics. That takes off grease as well as Ungodly Stickiness like pine sap.

Put it on the *dry* leg. Scrub around a bit (not as hard as with Dawn) and rinse.

worth_the_wait08
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
My sister's two year old got into the Desitin when he was supposed to be taking a nap and spread it throughout his hair and all over his clothes, the bedding, toys. Even after three shampoos in one day he still looked as greasy as a sardine. :D

No helpful input, but I read this as a two year old horse and was trying to figure out how she made him take a nap...

BAC
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
No helpful input, but I read this as a two year old horse and was trying to figure out how she made him take a nap...

That is so funny, and would be quite a trick to be able to get them to nap. :lol: I do the same thing though, I saw the thread on looking for Kitty, a trainer, and thought they wanted a trainer for their cat.

Small Change
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
Peanut butter smeared on the splotchy leg, then washed off with a good detergent will help too. I think it's the oils in the peanut butter than do the trick.

appdream
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:58 PM
Mineral or baby oil! I worked at a facility that manufactured Desitin and that is what we used to clean after it.

KingoftheRoad
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:55 PM
Great - thank you everyone - I'm going to take some baby oil to the show tomorrow and see if I can get the remnants off his legs!!!! Great stuff for cannon crud, as long as you have two weeks to get rid of it before you need to show! :)

allpurpose
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
Hand sanitizer! The alcohol in it gets the grease off, and it's readily available just about anywhere. I bet you have some in your tack trunk right now!

visorvet
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
An overnight glycerine sweat works great to take off hind leg cannon crud (hyperkeratosis). Since it is water soluble it can just be hosed off the next day.

RiverBendPol
Mar. 24, 2012, 06:17 PM

Those 2 things are VERY bad for horse skin. Use peanut butter. I know, doesn't seem right but...smear it on, rub it in, let it sit a few minutes, wash off with shampoo. Also very good for pine pitch.

TheJenners
Mar. 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hmm. When I lived in the Piney Woods that are Down South, I used Goo Gone on a regular basis on a lot of horses. Never had a problem.

However, don't think it'll get rid of Desitin. Different stuff. Try the baby oil.

I never thought of Desitin to get rid of cannon keratosis before, I've used MTG before with success but just can't stand the smell :dead:. Urky.