PDA

View Full Version : Spin-Off, Updating ownership with JC

CaitlinandTheBay
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Anybody know the protocol for updating ownership with the Jockey Club when you're not quite sure who the last owner was? I bought my guy years ago. His tattoo is readable and matches the papers that he came with. However, his papers are somewhat incomplete. It's been awhile since I've looked at them, but if I recall, his race record was ripped off and the ownership record was almost full/with names and dates written on the sides and some ink bleeding/stains. When I bought him I was young and so excited to have a horse (even a half-starved nutter) that I didn't care. Now, I'd kind of like to make him "mine". I do have a bill of sale, but it's from a dealer who bought him at an auction the night before. The coggins that he came with has a name on it, but that name is no where on the papers and I'm not sure if it was the owner. He was in such bad shape/crazy that I didn't try to hunt down his history when I got him for fear of what I would find. Anybody know what to do? Or who at the JC I need to email? Thanks!

danceronice
Mar. 22, 2012, 07:43 PM
Create an account on jockeyclub.com and follow the Transfer Ownership instructions.

Though to be honest--it's not like USEF. He's a gelding (I assume), he's not racing, they really don't care who his owner is. If he hasn't raced or had a foal registered in a certain number of years his name's been released and someone else can give it to a different horse. The owner's name only goes on the papers on the transfer page, not on the front. Papers are to identify the horse, not the owner.

Though given his papers are defaced, you might want to actually call them--tearing off the race record means they're defaced and technically void. Again, it doesn't really matter since he's not being raced or bred.

Langfuhr
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Its really irrelevant, because the horse is not used in the "racing" capacity, but if you feel strongly about it, create an acct with the JC and complete an owner transfership

CruisingforGold
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:54 AM
I wonder if it might be important for the TIP programs that the Jockey Club has started? Not sure. I know I was able to update my horse's ownership to show me as the owner, but now I can't remember exactly how I did it.

GoForAGallop
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
It's super easy. You go online, you create a JC account, and you change the ownership. Takes about a minute once you actually have the account; I didn't even have to type in tattoo number, just the horse's name.

As already mentioned, JC doesn't really care who the owner is, the papers are for identifying the horse. It's not like any of the other breeds where you have to pay fees/send the papers in/etc.

danceronice
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:10 AM
I wonder if it might be important for the TIP programs that the Jockey Club has started? Not sure. I know I was able to update my horse's ownership to show me as the owner, but now I can't remember exactly how I did it.

I wouldn't think so provided you have the papers (though again, THERE I would call, since they were defaced when you got them.)

It's really easy now to just log on to the website, but they have never cared before with non-racing, non-breeding stock.