PDA

View Full Version : What are your must-have's for a trailer?

KateD
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:29 PM
Hi everyone!

I am hoping to be in the market for my first trailer fairly soon and I could use some help! What are your must have options when purchasing a trailer? Any brand recommendations?

Here is my current list of "what I want":
2 or 3H BP slant load - depends on what is available at the best price
Drop down windows
Spacious tack room
No ramp
No rear tack

Thanks!

jbonifas
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
One piece aluminum roof.

shakeytails
Mar. 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Gooseneck and a dressing room. After pulling a GN, I don't care if I never pull another BP anything!

altjaeger
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
Seven foot interior.

But you really need to decide on steel or aluminum and BP vs GN. This comes down to what you can afford.

seabreeze
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:17 PM
I have a bumper pull, but I have promised myself my next one will be a gooseneck. That would be a "must have."

KateD
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:52 PM
So it would be recommended to go with a gooseneck, even for a two horse? I looked up previous discussions about BP vs GN and it basically came down to the stability of the GN over a BP when you go with 3H+. Is this right?

shakeytails
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:10 PM
I just know a GN feels a whole lot more stable to me- all the time- compared to any kind of BP trailer, horse or otherwise. It also easier to see to hook (for me) and easier to maneuver. I love being able to jackknife my GN around in tight places if I need to.

Cruiser12
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
At least 7' tall and MUST MUST MUST have a full sized escape doors.
I have a Gore 2H BP and it pulls like a dream. I have pulled a goose neck before, I don't remember it being much different. I just have a 2 horse though.

2bee
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
So it would be recommended to go with a gooseneck, even for a two horse? I looked up previous discussions about BP vs GN and it basically came down to the stability of the GN over a BP when you go with 3H+. Is this right?

Yes. If one can not get a 2H BP to pull well behind a 1/2 ton or larger, they need to have a little one on one time with an instructor.

ChocoMare
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
Another vote for Gooseneck, tall, with DR. You'll love it.

MUST HAVE before you even take delivery: Membership with USRider (http://www.usrider.org/index2.html):yes:

Other must haves:

Trailer Aid (http://tweetys.com/trailer-aid-2.aspx)

Fire Extinguisher (http://tweetys.com/disposable-fire-extinguishers.aspx)

Heart's Journey
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:35 PM
more info on what you plan to do with the trailer will help. I camp, so my must have list is MUCH longer than yours. And once you have it, chances are you will do more and travel further, so the big DR is a must. I love my rear tack as I have a LQ and that is where all the horse tack goes. I don't want smelly saddle pads etc up front.

In Fla, we like lots of windows, ceiling vents, fans, etc

runNjump86
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Must-haves for my next trailer:

MINIMUM 7' tall, over 6' wide.

Dressing room

And as long as the truck is upgraded, a GN. =)

I strongly prefer stock trailers for their open feel. My ideal trailer would probably be custom, aka expensive. I did see a 2+1 that opened into a full stock when all the of dividers were easily removed. That's what I want!

lizathenag
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:01 PM
You have to climb into the truck bed to hitch it up.

didn't use to bother me at all but as I get older, the bed gets higher

ditto on US Rider. love it and it has saved me.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
GN will give you bonus space over the GN.
Added to the DR/tackroom space, you wind up with loads of storage available separate from the horse compartment.

Can I ask why are you set on slantload?
If you have horses over 16h, getting one into that back slot is a PITA.

My 17h+ guy fits, but it's tight.
If I'm hauling him alone I tie back the partition and he gets the whole thing. But if the 12h pony is coming, pony has to go in front as that space is even smaller than the back.

I did not choose slantload, but the deal was too good to pass on and I didn't have the pony at the time.
Hindsight: always 20/20
If I ever have the spare $$, I'll convert to straightload and lose the fixed rear tack.

Must haves:
-wheel chock
-wheel dock or piece of 2X4, so when you unhitch your jack does not sink into the ground
-tire iron that fits trailer & truck tires
-emergency flasher
-flashlight or lantern
-spare halter & lead for every horse hauled stored in trailer
-gloves for dealing with hitching greasy "parts" - keeps your hands clean and helps stop nails breaking
-simple first aid kit for horses & humans

jenm
Mar. 23, 2012, 03:05 PM
You have to climb into the truck bed to hitch it up.

didn't use to bother me at all but as I get older, the bed gets higher

I discovered that if I use my mounting block or a small ladder, I can lean over the side of the truck to hitch the chains. No more climbing in and jumping out! :)

Most of my must have's have been mentioned, but I love having a water tank with a pump. I don't have to go searching for water and I can rinse my horse off quite easily.

KateD
Mar. 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
GN will give you bonus space over the GN.
Added to the DR/tackroom space, you wind up with loads of storage available separate from the horse compartment.

Can I ask why are you set on slantload?
If you have horses over 16h, getting one into that back slot is a PITA.

I personally have never used a straight haul but also, my horse refuses to back out of the trailer. She has to be able to turn around or else she will not budge in the slightest. (this was a slantload with rear tack still up and we had to collapse it just so she could get out... Not going to bother with that again!

Thanks everyone for the valuable input! It is very much appreciated!

HoofaSchmigetty
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Whats with the 7 foot interior? Are you people hauling ponys and cows? Minimum height should be 7'6" and thats advertised as EXTRA tall...LOL......My trailer has an 8 foot interior.

katyb
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:16 PM
My 15.1 TB hauls fine in my 6'6" trailer. I can't quite picture an 8' tall trailer. Seems like it would be top heavy and a problem in heavy winds.

Tack storage!!! My trailer has none, and I hate that.

I much prefer hooking up and towing a BP. I have an F350 4wd, crew cab, long bed, dually, so stability isn't an issue for me. I'm ready to go back to a GN for the camping benefits now though. I have a 12-year-old who can hook up for me now, so I don't have to deal w/ that aspect anymore.

rmh_rider
Mar. 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
What are your must-have's for a trailer?

Mats on the floor and 1/2 way up the wall.

Feed mangers. Mine have clips to clip on.

2 5/16" ball no matter what size trailer, or truck. If not, make it so.