PDA

View Full Version : I'm beginning to think I have a serious problem. Is there a chicken hoarders show?

RacetrackReject
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
So, I have 4 hens that decided to go broody. The first one hatched out 7 chicks, but then I was TSC and they had bantam chicks. I don't have any Bantams, so I bought 7. Two were sickly and died, but the rest are living fine with momma chicken. A mottled Cochin, a white Cochin, a Silver Sebright, one that could be a black OEGB, and another yet undetermined.

So last night broody hen #2 hatches out 3 chicks (so far). Then at lunch, I went to TSC and darn it if they didn't have some interesting breeds of Bantam chicks, so I bought 6 more. Two white Polish, 2 rust colored Silkies (Partridge maybe?), and 2 feather-legged that I have not identified yet. Those 2 are rust colored with grey/lavendar on their backs.

I still have 2 more broodies, but I am DONE, done I tell you, with buying more chicks. Did you hear me? DONE! Unless something really interesting turns up...... but otherwise I'm done, so I'm basically done.

Someone call the Discovery Channel.. Please??

And PS, NEVER EVER EVER google Polish chicks looking for photos of chickens....especially from your work computer. Those were not chickens...

NoDQhere
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:19 PM
I have been being very strict with myself when I see those adorable chicks. I have a little flock of Speckled Sussex but really want some Bantams. None of my hens are broody yet and I don't want to raise the chicks myself. I want to be able to slip them under a Hen Momma.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:25 PM
You have succumbed to what BYC calls "Chicken Math"

I think it comes from eating homegrown eggs...at least that is my story & I am sticking to it.

This from one who originally planned to have just 2 or 3 hens.
Presently holding @ 6 hens + 1 rooster.
And eyeing the fluffballs at TSC..... :uhoh:

NoDQ:
Stand Awaaaaay from the broody!
I had one hen go broody for 3 months.
And when I got her 2 chicks to raise over a weekend, the very day I got back, with 2 little day-old cuties..... BANG!
She was totally un-broody, said "NTYVM" to the idea of mothering them and I had to raise the chicks.
Which, unfortunately is no Biggie, thus tempting me to add to my flock.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
Oh yes, my broodies are taking care of the chicks for me. It's just funny to see the bantam chicks with the full-sized chicks. Some are less than 1/2 the size, but they are feisty and hold their own quite well.

I think I am going to raise this batch in the house for a while to try and keep down the casualties since they are TSC chicks, then when one of the other hens hatches some eggs, I will sneak them in.

ladybugred
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:51 PM
And PS, NEVER EVER EVER google Polish chicks looking for photos of chickens....especially from your work computer. Those were not chickens...

Had to read this bit twice to "get" it! Yeah, it's been a LONG day!

LBR

Did make me snort tho when I did!;):lol::cool:

Daydream Believer
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
I have about 150 layers...mostly young barred rock pullets. The older hens will be hitting two years old this summer and they are mainly Wyandottes, White Rocks and Buff Orps. I have also got Welsummers, Golden Laced Wyandottes and a few Ameraurcanas....so yes I understand being a chicken collector. I have one barred rock pullet who has gone broody and is sitting. I had several others act like they wanted to brood but when I moved them to a private suite, they quit being broody.

Anyway, I also have 2-3 (one is kind of wishy washy) Bourbon Red turkey hens that are brooding. They have 20 eggs or more per nest so I can't imagine how many poults I may get. Fingers crossed...turkey poults of rare breeds are pricey.

I have also got about 85 broiler chicks growing but their life expectancy is short...they are not all that fun to have around...lucky for me...not so much for them.

This is what I really want though...I'm in love...I would LOVE to have a small flock of Swedish Flower hens.
http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/swedish-flower-hens/

RacetrackReject
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
You are going to make me buy more chickens DDB!!! lol I am glad that you make my operation pale in comparison though....lol.

I have 2 Mille Fleur D'Uccle chicks that should be colored quite similarly to your Swedish Flower Hens, but Bantams of course.

I have hatched turkey eggs with a broody before, and, ended up with 10 chicks out 12 eggs. As with all my broodies, I have set routine I do to make sure they definitely seem like they want to stay broody before I let them keep eggs. For about a week I kick them off the nests every day and take their eggs. Usually, after this, if they want to actually set, they start getting a bit more adamant in their refusal to leave the nest. That is when I let them have eggs, give them a feeder and waterer, and wire them off so others can't get in.

Good luck with your turkeys!

I have some Silver-laced Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons. Black Stars, RIR, and tons of EEs (my egg buyers like colored eggs). The Bantams are just for fun as I don't think their eggs will really be sellable since they are so small.

Daydream Believer
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:39 PM
Well, I have too many really. My BR pullets are just about ready to lay market sized eggs. They started laying in January and I've donated tons of tiny eggs to the local soup kitchens and churches as I had too many to sell off season and who would buy those tiny eggs when I had plenty of big ones? So they did not get wasted at least. I have maybe 85 to 90 of these pullets and some roosters.

My older 35 hens (White Rocks, Silver laced Wyandottes, Buff Orps, Welsummer) or so are going to be getting placed into adoptive homes (hopefully) later this summer. They are not going to have a high enough lay rate to be economical to keep for a market farm. I have another 15 Golden Laced Wyandottes that will need homes also by winter as they will be two years old in October...so if anyone wants some hens that will lay maybe 2 big eggs a week...let me know. I'd rather place them with folks than slaughter them. I'm kind of fond of my girls.

The problem with selling eggs at the farmer's markets is that it's seasonal. You need a certain number of regular customers to keep you going all year long but the demand for eggs peaks in May-Oct. So I tried to time the pullets coming of age and seemed to get it about right. The reason the eggs at these markets are so pricey is that you have to raise the pullets from hatching to six months old to get decent sized eggs out of them and then get by 7 months of the year selling eggs locally for less money. I'll probably let the young hens "rest" this coming winter with no lights or anything as I had way too many eggs midwinter.

Anyway...the issues of having that many chickens are major...sometimes I think I'm insane. My feed bill is insane.

My fantasy is a small flock of those Flower hens, natural breeding, and self sustaining. I really don't want to buy stock in Purina and it feels like I have feeding that many heavy laying birds.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
Now you have me curious. I have hens that are 3 and 2 years of age. My 3 year olds don't lay as much, but then they weren't great layers to begin with, except the EEs, they still crank out eggs regularly. My 2 yr olds were slow to start after their full molt, but they are back up to laying every day. Those are SLW and Buff Orps. Are chickens supposed to slow down from laying every day at their ages? I never really thought about it before.

I don't sell at the Farmer's Market's here because the people are bitchy and they already have someone who sells eggs that they seemed quite happy with. I do have several regular customers that buy 2-3 dozen every week and one that buys around 9 dozen a week, which is enough to keep my chicken's in feed. If I have extra eggs at the end of the week, I give them out to neighbors. I've tried calling the food pantry about 50 times, but they are never open or never answer the phone.

You are a real business though and I'm just a rank amateur playing around.

JB
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:54 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's astonishing what you :eek::eek: find while VERY innocently looking for something ENTIRELY different :eek::eek:

I just got my first chicks - 8. 3 Sex-link, an Easter Egg (which may be an Ameraucana? seems they can be difficult to tell apart), a RIR, an Australorp, a Naked Neck, and a Cochin cross. They are adorable, quite friendly at less than 2 weeks and 1 week, and I just know, I can feel it in my bones, that I'm going to want to collect all the friendly breeds out there :eek:

Daydream Believer
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:20 PM
Now you have me curious. I have hens that are 3 and 2 years of age. My 3 year olds don't lay as much, but then they weren't great layers to begin with, except the EEs, they still crank out eggs regularly. My 2 yr olds were slow to start after their full molt, but they are back up to laying every day. Those are SLW and Buff Orps. Are chickens supposed to slow down from laying every day at their ages? I never really thought about it before.

Generally after 2 years of age, the hen's lay rate drops dramatically. The eggs are generally larger and sometimes double yolked but fewer and fewer. Most of the for profit farm will cull the hens at that point. Generally that means slaughtering them.

I'm kind of squeamish about slaughtering my "girls" as I've gotten pretty fond of them. I could let them live out their natural lives but it doesn't make much sense from a business perspective since they will lay way fewer eggs and eat just as much as before. They are not worth much as "stew hens" so I'm wondering if processing them would be more trouble than it's worth. In the huge factory farms the old hens would go for pet food or something along those lines which is a reasonable use for them...just not economical on a small scale like I have.

Anyway, I kind of thought it might be a nice idea to "adopt" them out or sell them for $5 to folks who want a backyard chicken who is laying but is older but don't care if they are getting two eggs a week versus four a week (as most of my chickens do). That way they find homes and I don't have to worry about them any more.

Bluey
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:32 PM
Just be glad it is chickens, not horses you are obsessed with.
Chickens take much less room and finances, don't live as long and you can use them once more in your pot without everyone and their dog calling you names.:lol:

ladybugred
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:46 PM
Daydream- how long do hens generally live?

LBR

Daydream Believer
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
LBR...I'm told about 4-5 years old. None of mine are that old yet.

TheBandit
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:56 AM
Daydream- how long do hens generally live?

LBR

I have one banty hen who is at least 6 years old and a couple that are 4.

Chickens are highly addictive! I have a flock of 35. Most are Ameracauna and EE's with Barred Rocks and Barred Rock/Polish rounding out the mix. Currently, I have 42 Ameracauna eggs in the inclubator and 60 meat bird chicks on order...oh, and 6 Gold Laced Wyandotts chicks on order too. :)

Megaladon
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have a chicken addiction as well. I have 50+ birds (not exactly sure how many). I have dodged a bullet twice by going in to TSC and them having zero chicks there, whew! Last time they had some Silkie babies in the worst conditions--I had to buy all of them. I still look at the Meyer chick catalog and look for private breeders of show quality birds to add.....someday, LOL!

DDB--Greefire Farms have some awesome chickens!!! :)

RacetrackReject
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:21 AM
Hot Polish chicks photo (with Silkies behind)
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/464157_3481810562358_1184135915_3441706_1657946163 _o.jpg

I have around 35 chickens and now have a total of 20 babies.. >.> I try to buy some pullets each year to add to the flock so I have overlap in egglaying as chickens molt or get older. It has worked fairly well for me so far.

knightrider
Mar. 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
I'm getting my first chickens this spring and I have a question...how do you find buyers for your eggs? And could I expect to break even from egg sales vs. feed if I can keep a dozen for me weekly and then sell the rest...thinking 6 hens? Also, I wasn't aware that they stopped laying at that age...are layers good for processing or is it not worth considering? I have a contact for processing the chickens for me at $2/head...

Total newbie here, but I can see there is quite a chicken obsession!

chism
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:38 PM
I presently have 25 hens and POL pullets, have 16 chicks on order from Meyer for early June, am picking up some BLue Orpingtons chicks next week, but only six of them so I think I'll need to buy some feed store chicks locally to keep then company. Chickens are so much easier to collect (and feed = afford) than horses.

JB
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:46 PM
You guys are already killing me - I'm feeling an itchy need to stop in Southern States tomorrow to see what the Chick Truck brought! :eek:

Go Fish
Mar. 24, 2012, 02:10 AM
Two weeks ago three new chickens were pecking away with my troop. They're white and have bouffant hair-dos. They run into things a lot. I looked them up online and I think they're non-bearded white bantam polish hens.

They've either run away from home or they're on vacation.

sunridge1
Mar. 24, 2012, 02:37 AM
I think I may have ya all beat. Last year in our order of layers I wanted *pet* banty's. Well aware of how naughty the *pet* roosters can get at maturity I did research specifically on temperament. We got Bearded Belgian Antwerps.

OMG they are adorable, the hens are friendly and the roos can be but they are also naughty (stalking you and stuff).

One hen was apart from the rest. Every night at dusk I'd have to get her down from a tree limb to put her in the coop. This mild winter found her following us to the house and through the door. We were honored so fed her treats and let her wander a bit everyday. Lo and behold she started making a nest under my piano and proceeded to lay eggs.

Well being the chicken lady that I am, I let her and even built her a nest box lined with pine shavings. Boy howdy don't be late letting her in either. She'd fly at the deck door until someone let her in then run to her little nest.

For the past 11 days she's been setting on 14 eggs under my piano in this very room with my computer desk. She comes out twice a day to eat and drink and once in awhile wants to go out for good dust bath. She drinks her water right next to my big GSD while she's eating! But gets 3 times her size when the little white foo-foo is in her sites. She and the little dog used to play chase and it was hilarious but now there is an urgency about her and the little dog is scared of her now. I told her, "Just wait Mattie you haven't seen nothing yet. Wait until those chicks hatch. She'll have that big GSD sucking her thumb in a corner. I've seen it before." lol:lol:

The Crazy Chicken Lady, indeed.

JB
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you going to name the 14 chicks after pianists?

You have GOT to take a picture of this! Now! AND then!

sunridge1
Mar. 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
I am chronicling the whole thing. I candled some of the eggs the other day, those I candled were all viable. The embryo even moves about even though they only thing I see are veins, a dark spot (which is the eye?) and another faint mass.

lolita1
Mar. 24, 2012, 05:04 PM
:)

starrunner
Mar. 25, 2012, 12:25 AM
Any super addicted chicken people want to help ID the cool chickens that came out of this year's chicky crop?

Totally not a knowledgeable chicken person, but they are fun to have around! We haven't separated out the roosters yet...

Fuzzy one with pants. Cochin?
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/419962_774513383660_184900209_35988921_1783978121_ n.jpg

Big skinny black one. There are a bunch of these in this year's group
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/429046_775012593240_184900209_35991431_1844452619_ n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/295207_776218127340_184900209_36000962_1974463935_ n.jpg

Weird speckly one. Kind of tall and upright like black one
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/430756_775012618190_184900209_35991432_1320519601_ n.jpg

Group o' chickens
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/383449_776218137320_184900209_36000963_1438258674_ n.jpg

My favorite. The bearded chickens. Super friendly and they cuddle and sleep when I hold them.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/486273_776218157280_184900209_36000964_1660623624_ n.jpg

The big chicken with pants. Looks different than grey-panted-chicken.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/394449_776218177240_184900209_36000965_1817434866_ n.jpg

So I apologize for a little chicken hijacking, but I want to know more chicken info on these little chicklets. They are fun to follow around and try to take photos of too. :D

sunridge1
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:06 AM
The pants chickens are cochins, blue and buff. I have 2 blacks and 2 partridges. I call them pantaloons.:lol:

The black skinny's look like Minorcas.

I'm not sure about the speckled, a rooster would be easier to identify.

My house hen is a Quail Antwerp Belgian, they are bearded, guessing yours is too. The hens are adorable cuddle bunnies that kinda coo when you hold them. My favorite chickens evah!:yes:

Louise
Mar. 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have got to stop reading these chicken threads. I want to have some, badly, and we're not zoned for it.

sunridge1
Mar. 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
Chickens are as bad as horses for their addiction quality. The more time you spend with them, and understand them. The smarter they become, I am really quite amazed how quickly they can learn. With some things just 3 times and they got it!

Plus the entertainment factor is priceless. :lol:

Carolinadreamin'
Mar. 25, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sunridge, still waiting to see some pics, please!

RacetrackReject
Mar. 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
I forgot to go back and quote, but whomever asked about how to get customers for selling eggs, I started with friends who knew I had fresh eggs and co-workers. They told someone who told someone and it went on from there. I also put a sign at the end of my driveway and since we have a few other places in my neighborhood that sell things (veggies mostly), I do get some street traffic.

threedogpack
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:46 PM
*puts hands over ears*

nochickensnochickensnochickens....

now what was that about a rooster? An evil one?

Amwrider
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:48 AM
I started out two years ago with two Americanas (a roo and hen), a white crested black Polish roo and a Plymouth Barred Rock roo.

The feed store had pullets for sale so I bought a RIR, a black Australorp and five Americanas. They also had straight run bantams and I bought a little silkie who turned out to be a roo.

We lost three Americanas and the RIR.

A short time later, someone was selling two mature silkie hens, a silver partridge and a brown partridge. They joined my flock last summer.

I found a Russian Orloff hen and an Orloff cross hen and added them to my flock.

My silkie hens went broody (they always do) and in February I decided to let them sit. They hatched nine eggs but apparently trampled one baby. They are only caring for the four older babies and were picking and chasing the younger ones so I have the littler ones in a bin with a heat lamp.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3179977212276.2140744.1051037955&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=3194753261668&set=a.3179977212276.2140744.1051037955&type=3&theater
I went to the feed store last weekend and they had light Brahmans pullets so I bought two of them.

vali
Mar. 27, 2012, 02:00 AM
We just hatched 23 Black copper Marans this weekend. You can't get them from most hatcheries or Feed stores, so the chicks will go up for sale next week. We also have ameracaunas, a lavender polish, a buff Orpington, and a few olive egg layers.

sunridge1
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Sunridge, still waiting to see some pics, please!

I'll put them up this afternoon, promise! Farrier this morning.

Nes
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:19 AM
... who would buy those tiny eggs when I had plenty of big ones? ...

I have a customer who specifically asks for them week after week :). I told her those are the ones I usually give out for free because they are so small, but she asked for them & loves them! I have to say they are great for fried eggs, and have a really nice taste to them.

How long do hens generally live?

The average is probably 8 weeks because of all the meat birds... but 10-15 years. Chickens have lived up to 20, most just don't *get* that much time.

We have one polish - she is the cutest thing in the world!!! Just makes me laugh with her huge Tina Turner hair do, bopping and around as she goes off for little adventures (she's quite a free-spirited birdy!). Sonya's one of our very few pet chickens who have a home here for life.

But y'all should stop complaining!! I had 3 chickens sitting on nests, 2 got off, so I'm waiting on the last so we'll hopefully have *some* chicks :( .

sunridge1
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
As promised.
Here is Rosey the House Hen.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2111.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2109a.jpg

Bacardi1
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
Those pics are TOO cute!

I had a pet White Leghorn rooster that had a nest box in the house for night time. It was a real hoot watching him run up to the back door & wait for us to let him in. Then he'd run across the living room & up the stairs to his little box.

sunridge1
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
Two weeks ago three new chickens were pecking away with my troop. They're white and have bouffant hair-dos. They run into things a lot. I looked them up online and I think they're non-bearded white bantam polish hens.

They've either run away from home or they're on vacation.

We had 3 Polish, we lost one. I would see her way out in the field and one day she didn't come back. So we trim the remaining 2, using a scissors we trim their feathers as far back as it takes, so they can see. They are not near as spooky now either, poor things could hardly see to eat.

sunridge1
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Those pics are TOO cute!

I had a pet White Leghorn rooster that had a nest box in the house for night time. It was a real hoot watching him run up to the back door & wait for us to let him in. Then he'd run across the living room & up the stairs to his little box.

Aren't they great! When this is all over (hatching etc.) I'm either going to make or order her a chicken diaper.

Today she got up to eat and was acting itchy so I opened the door. She booked to their dust hole, I watched for a bit then the phone rang. Then I remember her, OMG! talk about a mad dusty hen meeting you at the door. If she could talk!

Nootka
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:56 PM
Did any of you actually see the chicken hoarder episode? I did LMAO
http://www.amazon.com/158-Chickens-in-My-House/dp/B004KQM2PQ

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/440013/omg-158-chickens-in-the-house

Sorry guys.. I couldn't find the free episode

I want one of these :)
http://greenfirefarms.com/store/category/chickens/brahmas/

JB
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:21 PM
Sunridge - lmao! That's awesome!

Bacardi - way too funny!

Bacardi1
Mar. 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
Bacardi - way too funny!

The funniest part of it was that this was when we were living with my parents while my husband's house was being sold (we were then Virginia-bound). My dad was sitting in a living room chair reading the newspaper when we happened to let "Baby Chicken" (that was the roos name) in for the night. Dad didn't yet realize "Baby Chicken" spent the night indoors, & after the big white roo ran across the living room & up the stairs to our quarters, a minute or two passed before he looked up over his paper & said: "Please tell me that I did not just see a chicken run across my living room & go upstairs. . . . . ".

Yet another priceless moment in my animal kingdom - lol!

sunridge1
Mar. 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
The funniest part of it was that this was when we were living with my parents while my husband's house was being sold (we were then Virginia-bound). My dad was sitting in a living room chair reading the newspaper when we happened to let "Baby Chicken" (that was the roos name) in for the night. Dad didn't yet realize "Baby Chicken" spent the night indoors, & after the big white roo ran across the living room & up the stairs to our quarters, a minute or two passed before he looked up over his paper & said: "Please tell me that I did not just see a chicken run across my living room & go upstairs. . . . . ".

Yet another priceless moment in my animal kingdom - lol!

OMG! I'm totally laughing out loud!

Years ago before I bought my dilapidated farm I had a huge beautiful custom built home. The first fall after it was finished I was locking up the chickens for winter when I discovered a missing hen in my hay pile setting on eggs. It was going to get very cold in the next couple of days so I gathered the hen and her eggs. As I picking up the eggs I could hear faint peeping. So I put the eggs in a nest box in the coop with the hen on top.

The next morning I went out and found a dozen or so chicks under this banty hen. Some of them were on the outside and cold as death. Horrified and knowing they wouldn't survive I moved them into my basement into the original wood-sided cage that I had for the original chicks.

At about the same time my favorite banty rooster came under attack, someone drew blood, there was blood everywhere, so I brought him in too.

Now remember this was a brand new house. One day I was talking to an old friend on the phone. Anyone who had known me long knew I was an animal freak. We were chattering away when suddenly the rooster crowed. Silence on the other end of the line. My friend couldn't take it. She yelled, "You have chickens in that beautiful house, don't you!?" I stammered, "No he's just outside the window." She said, "BS there is 2 feet of snow out there! You have chickens in your house!" :lol:

I always wanted to borrow a goat, tie to my dining room table and have a huge party at that house. Really freak everyone out!

Equine Studies
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:41 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks, excellent PSA.:lol:

Equine Studies
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
At about the same time my favorite banty rooster came under attack, someone drew blood, there was blood everywhere, so I brought him in too.

I was visiting a friend a few weeks ago and they had a rooster in their basement too after he was beat up. It's probably more common than we think!

lcw579
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:51 PM
As promised.
Here is Rosey the House Hen.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2111.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2109a.jpg

Aww. Rosey is adorable. My Laverne and Shirley look like her. They live with Roger:

Pa Rural
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:58 PM
Thought I was the only one with housepoultry. A year ago I came across a small red chicken in the road ( I know....). I stopped and scooped up what I thought was a hen. Flash ahead 3 months later and he's bigger than a Tom Turkey. Betty became "Red." He sits on the bench by the back door at night and crows at anything coming within 10 feet. We 've constructed a bucket to catch his stuff as he sits on the bench. During the day he patrols the property and is known to attack anything entering the driveway. He prefers Strategy to layer pellets. He's more reliable than any watch dog. Visitors are always amazed at how I know someone has entered the property. Just wish I could control the 4am crowing...

JB
Mar. 27, 2012, 10:13 PM
"Please tell me that I did not just see a chicken run across my living room & go upstairs. . . . . ".

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

suddenly the rooster crowed. Silence on the other end of the line. My friend couldn't take it. She yelled, "You have chickens in that beautiful house, don't you!?" I stammered, "No he's just outside the window." She said, "BS there is 2 feet of snow out there! You have chickens in your house!" :lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sunridge1
Mar. 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
Aww. Rosey is adorable. My Laverne and Shirley look like her. They live with Roger:

Roger is gorgeous. Are his comb and wattles really burgundy? The next fun chickens I buy are going to be Silkies. I love the blue cheek.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:22 AM
I have 3 Silkie chicks and I just love them! They are so curious and sweet. Anyway, yes, pretty much everything on a Silkie is "purple/burgandy". I think it's actually referred to as black, but their feet, skin, waddles, beak, everything is that purple-ish color.

We had a roo called Big Red once when I was a kid. He was a RIR and was very sweet. My little brother used to carry him around under his arm and share his PB&J sandwiches with him.
My father worked out of state often and one time, after he been gone for work for around 2 months, he came home only to be attacked by Big Red when he tried to come through the gate..lol. He was such a good roo and heroic. He died fighting a chicken hawk that was trying to take his hens. The hawk won, but he couldn't carry Big Red off so we buried him in the pecan orchard.

JB
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:27 AM
I had read that Silkies have a hard time in the heat, but Texas is obviously no stranger to heat, so.....do you have to treat them differently to keep them cool enough?

RacetrackReject
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
These are just chicks, so I'm not sure yet to be honest. My chickens free range though, so they can get in puddles or in the barn with fans if they choose to. I think they will be ok, but I have gone out and misted the chickens on extremely hot days before if they seem hot, so I will just watch them and see if I need to make any special concessions for them.

Edited to add that I think the real issue with Silkies is, because of their feathers, they cannot tolerate getting rained on in cool weather, or a lot of wind, and can suffer skin damage from the sun.

sunridge1
Mar. 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Thought I was the only one with housepoultry. A year ago I came across a small red chicken in the road ( I know....). I stopped and scooped up what I thought was a hen. Flash ahead 3 months later and he's bigger than a Tom Turkey. Betty became "Red." He sits on the bench by the back door at night and crows at anything coming within 10 feet. We 've constructed a bucket to catch his stuff as he sits on the bench. During the day he patrols the property and is known to attack anything entering the driveway. He prefers Strategy to layer pellets. He's more reliable than any watch dog. Visitors are always amazed at how I know someone has entered the property. Just wish I could control the 4am crowing...

My neighbors had some turkeys that ended up here. Two Royal Palms, beautiful toms. They gobbled at any nefarious goings on. Everyone here including the humans paid attention to their gobbles. Dogs and people, would look out windows, chickens would roar in alarm, cats would run and the horses stood alert doing their up periscope scan across the pastures.

It was very interesting to see these interactive behaviors amongst domesticated animals. Similar to the how the forest dwellers rely on each for pending danger.

2DogsFarm
Mar. 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
It was very interesting to see these interactive behaviors amongst domesticated animals. Similar to the how the forest dwellers rely on each for pending danger.

"Man is in the forest!"
I guess you have to be a certain age to get that...

I draw the line at housepoultry!
Not that my chickens agree.

I have to toe them out of my way to close the garage door or the service door from garage to house.
If I didn't, I'd have chickens indoors for sure.

They have figured out those are the Majikal entrances I use to come out bearing treats.

I gotta stop peeking in at this thread.
Makes me want more chickens.....

chism
Mar. 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
"Man is in the forest!"
I guess you have to be a certain age to get that...

Guess I'm of "THAT" age. It's from Bambi.

sunridge1
Mar. 29, 2012, 10:56 AM
I thought Bambi was timeless. :)

sunridge1
Apr. 3, 2012, 02:10 AM
Okay chicken hatching watch is beginning to be WAY worse than foal watch. All my mares were 'textbook' every year. There is no textbook on house chickens and what little there is...well it's wrong!:lol:

Daydream Believer
Apr. 3, 2012, 08:47 AM
I'm on turkey hatch watch. It's killing me. I have 3 Bourbon Red hens sitting now. I have the fourth who is sitting part of the time and then the poor gobbler who is pacing and strutting around guarding his harem. They are in their third week of brooding (best I can recall) so I'm getting anxious! What is funny is I was told by a poultry expert that I'd be very lucky to get even one turkey momma to brood and I have three out of four working on motherhood.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 3, 2012, 06:25 PM
Oy! I had a hen on a nest and she abandoned it. When I noticed her out in the yard, I went to get the eggs and a different hen was on the nest and had 3 chicks with her..lol. I'm so chicken poor atm it's not even funny.

For fun here is a picture of one of my Polish chicks (as in baby chicken) that I posted on Facebook with the caption "He's not dead. He just ran out of awesome and fell alseep in the food bowl." He always looks dead when he sleeps for some reason.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/477841_3536568051261_1184135915_3466574_1908628144 _o.jpg

JB
Apr. 3, 2012, 06:55 PM
I literally laughed out loud at that picture!

Daydream Believer
Apr. 3, 2012, 09:52 PM
It really does look dead...hilarious! :lol::lol:

Yes hatch watch is way worse than foal watch. You worry that the mother will leave the nest..the eggs will get too cold...will they hatch...are they fertile...on and on...

We have a little Killdeer momma that is sitting a nest in part of our driveway..right where our 53' Swift trailer was parked that was brought to deliver our hay. A trucker showed up yesterday to get it and the Momma Killdeer was doing her broken wing thing to lead us from her nest. We found the nest right in front of the trailer. I asked the trucker if he thought he could take the trailer and miss her nest and he said "yes Ma'am!" He did too..he put a few boards around her nest to see it clearly and pulled the rig out of there. In a few minutes Momma killdeer was back on her nest. ;)

Then the mowing guy came later yesterday and I had to point out her nest so he's stay away from there. We have another hay trailer coming in this weekend and I'll have to get him to park somewhere else so Momma can brood her eggs in peace.

I seriously am wondering at my sanity over this much trouble for a Killdeer nest but I can't stand the idea of that brave little mother losing her eggs now. I think having poultry has made me much more sympathetic to the little Killdeer.

sunridge1
Apr. 3, 2012, 10:12 PM
OMG! Baby kildeer are THE cutest baby anything on Earth!

I have some stunning pictures I took of the mother on her nest from about 3 feet away. She was gorgeous!

The year before they had a nest we never found and the itty bitty was running around the yard (we were working on landscaping). The parents were going crazy which was the tip off. I caught the little bugger. They are an exact duplicate of their parents except in down and they have these tiny little corkscrew tail feathers. I about died of cuteness. I should have taken a pic but mom and dad were going to have heart failure so I released him after DH got to see him.

foggybok
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:07 PM
Any super addicted chicken people want to help ID the cool chickens that came out of this year's chicky crop?

Totally not a knowledgeable chicken person, but they are fun to have around! We haven't separated out the roosters yet...

Fuzzy one with pants. Cochin?
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/419962_774513383660_184900209_35988921_1783978121_ n.jpg

Big skinny black one. There are a bunch of these in this year's group
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/429046_775012593240_184900209_35991431_1844452619_ n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/295207_776218127340_184900209_36000962_1974463935_ n.jpg

Weird speckly one. Kind of tall and upright like black one
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/430756_775012618190_184900209_35991432_1320519601_ n.jpg

Group o' chickens
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/383449_776218137320_184900209_36000963_1438258674_ n.jpg

My favorite. The bearded chickens. Super friendly and they cuddle and sleep when I hold them.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/s720x720/486273_776218157280_184900209_36000964_1660623624_ n.jpg

The big chicken with pants. Looks different than grey-panted-chicken.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/394449_776218177240_184900209_36000965_1817434866_ n.jpg

So I apologize for a little chicken hijacking, but I want to know more chicken info on these little chicklets. They are fun to follow around and try to take photos of too. :D

I have a weird speckly one just like yours, DH calls her the Frankenstein hen, Frankie for short. I'd like to know what she is too!

Daydream Believer
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:24 PM
OMG! Baby kildeer are THE cutest baby anything on Earth!

I have some stunning pictures I took of the mother on her nest from about 3 feet away. She was gorgeous!

The year before they had a nest we never found and the itty bitty was running around the yard (we were working on landscaping). The parents were going crazy which was the tip off. I caught the little bugger. They are an exact duplicate of their parents except in down and they have these tiny little corkscrew tail feathers. I about died of cuteness. I should have taken a pic but mom and dad were going to have heart failure so I released him after DH got to see him.

They are adorable. I'll try and get some pics of her if I can tomorrow. I'm crazy busy this week but I'll try to remember. Crazy birds!

I'll try and get some turkey shots too. I had to look inside one of the barrels today to make sure the hen is still alive. It looks like she's barely moved in weeks. I'm tickled pink as I never expected to have 3 out of 4 hens seriously brood for me.

JB
Apr. 3, 2012, 11:55 PM
Awww DDB, that truck guy gets a cookie for that! :yes:

I love kildeer. We have them in our pasture but I've yet to see a nest :(

RacetrackReject
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:17 AM
We have kildeer all over here too. I just wish they would pick less trafficed areas to build their nests. We used to have to set up cones to mark the nests in the dressage arena so noone would ride over them.

My "dead" chick looked dead again this morning. He's so funny. When he stretches his head way up to look at me, he reminds me of Beeker from the muppets...lol.

JB
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:21 AM
Beeker lmao!!

Is the dead thing a Polish thing?

RacetrackReject
Apr. 4, 2012, 10:46 AM
Yes, he/she is a Polish. They (2) are supposed to be Buff-laced Bantams, but they're looking less Bantamy by the day.

Here is a more alive photo.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/555829_3534318235017_1184135915_3465531_1990674357 _n.jpg

JB
Apr. 4, 2012, 11:49 AM
Sorry, I meant - is the "I look dead when I sleep" ordeal something related to the Polish breed?

His "tophat" is hysterical! I have a Naked Neck and just love looking at her (I HOPE it's a she!) toupe :lol:

RacetrackReject
Apr. 4, 2012, 12:19 PM
It might be normal during the baby chick phase, but I haven't had any other breeds do it. As adults, as you know, they roost, so they would fall off if they tried to sprawl out..lol.

ThisTooShallPass
Apr. 4, 2012, 01:51 PM
Sleep apnia, & just plops over?

I was in a battle royale of a meeting once when the fellow on the other side of the table did that. Just plopped over. I was very young, & he scared the life out of me. Thought he had a heart attack, & they would blame me for killing him-from stress. They won the battle as I never went back for further negotiation. Wonder if that was part of their plan? They always sent him in the scare the dickens out of young girls? (This is way back before sleep apnia was ever commonly heard of.) Have not thought of that meeting in years, but it truly did shake me up. Especially with how they hustled me out of there! No simple, "Oh that's just Bob. Not to worry he does that."

Now you make sure you tell people, "Oh that's just Bob. Not to worry he does that." Or some peoples pysche could be scarred for life! Especially the young ones! :lol:

ThisTooShallPass
Apr. 5, 2012, 12:15 AM
To think that a couple of days ago I almost smuggly posted how I have actually down sized in chickens to one rooster & two nice laying hens...

I was laying down for an evening nap-one has to do that when they get old, take a nap before they actually go to bed. Suddenly I am awoke by LOUD frantic pounding on the door. My only thought is something happened to a horse!

Instead, I find a near hysterical teenage girl, that I barely, know begging me to please take all their chickens. Right now, this instant! I now have 5 more hens, 4 more roosters, & 5 motherless tiny, tiny chicks.

As I understand it, there has been a long standing fued with a neighbor concerning this girls free ranging chickens. Neighbor killed another hen this evening, the mother of the wee little ones. And threatened them with the police over the free ranging chicken issue.

I am so unprepared for this influx. Someone please remove the pushover sucker sign from my forehead.

I guess I should be grateful they are only chickens, & not dogs, cats or horses.

ThisTooShallPass
Apr. 5, 2012, 12:53 PM
This morning I went to the young ladies Uncle, who has chickens, & foisted the new flock off on him! Never intended to keep them. The poor teenager was near hysterics, & the police were about to be involved with a chickens at large charge for roaming. Meaning triple digit dollar fine. So I helped out in a tight spot. I understand this is the third time the neighbor cornered the chickens (on his property) & put his dog on them-killing them. But the teenager is in the wrong, since the neighbor hates chickens cruising thru his yard. If your neighbors don't complain, then the city just ignores the chickens at large.

Those 5 motherless babies drove me batty peeping in my bath tub. That is called getting old & wanting my peace & quiet. The big dog is upset though that his babies are gone. He adpots baby anything. He keeps trying to get into the bath tub in vain search of them. But I can hear him, so yell at him to get out.

Ha, I think my dog is upset. I am glad I did not understand word for word what the wife of the Uncle was saying (not in english) over the influx of more chickens. She was not happy. Major understatement. But the Uncle was just chuckling away.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 5, 2012, 01:08 PM
I'm so glad my dog is not the only one that frets over any baby anything. Last night, I moved "his" baby chicks from a brooder box to an actual pen in the laundry room. When they are a week or 2 older, I will move them and the pen out to the barn. OMGiH! My dog went into spasms so badly that I had put up a kiddie gate, so then he just sat at the gate in a catatonic state. His eyes were glazed over, he didn't hear anything, he didn't feel anything, he wouldn't respond to food, etc. Finally I carried him to the couch and made him sit with me until the catatonia was gone which only happened after I popped him on the butt for acting like a raging idiot. At some point during the night the dog did finally come get in bed, but anytime I got up (I'm not a good sleeper), he would run to the kiddie gate to check the babies...oh God the babies!!!!!!

sunridge1
Apr. 5, 2012, 01:21 PM
I love these stories. I finally got some footage of my tiny silver Seabrite roo chasing down the neighbors royal palm tom turkeys. It's so funny they are the same colors (black and white) but the size difference is immense. When I get it uploaded I'll share the link.

ThisTooShallPass
Apr. 5, 2012, 06:09 PM
My RIR rooster cracks me up. Although I was terribly annoyed by the peeping chicks in a box in my bathtub over night & their outright wails for their monther this morning; I thoroughly enjoy listening to my roo out there mumbling/talking to himself as he scours the yard for tastey bugs. He's the kind that happily comes running when called.

Big dog has finally given up looking for the baby chicks.

Amwrider
Apr. 6, 2012, 12:46 AM
I had read that Silkies have a hard time in the heat, but Texas is obviously no stranger to heat, so.....do you have to treat them differently to keep them cool enough?

I have silkies in FL and have not had heat issues. They hang out in the barn or find shade.

I currently have 8 lovely silkie chicks peeping away in my bathroom along with a baby collared dove that fell out of it's nest and I am hand feeding. He walks around with the chicks and huddles up with them to sleep.

RacetrackReject
Apr. 6, 2012, 11:05 AM
I have silkies in FL and have not had heat issues. They hang out in the barn or find shade.

I currently have 8 lovely silkie chicks peeping away in my bathroom along with a baby collared dove that fell out of it's nest and I am hand feeding. He walks around with the chicks and huddles up with them to sleep.

What color silkies do you have? My chicks so far seem to be a buff, a partridge, and an unknown.. At first 2 looked like buffs and 1 looked like a mille fleur d'uccle ( since that is what it was supposed to be ..lol), but now that mille fleur is the partridge and 1 is buff, then the unknown color.

sunridge1
Apr. 6, 2012, 01:30 PM
OMG! I hear peeping eggs! I'm so excited! Hey all you former horse breeders, there IS hope to once again have those same feelings during foal watch! ANNNNNDDD if you have a house chicken you don't even have to go outside!

(I had given up hope, according to a text message I sent she started setting on the 13th so I candled them again yesterday and threw out the FOR SURE bad ones (four). I thought I was just too ignorant to know what I was looking at and they were all dead. But I hear peeping!):lol::lol::lol::lol:

2DogsFarm
Apr. 6, 2012, 03:07 PM
and all chicken-related threads :D

ThisToo:
Yikes!
My neighbors were more than polite when my Gang of 7 wandered across the road (I know... :rolleyes:) to rearrange their landscaping.
Glad I don't live in your part of town.

RTR:
Silkies come in Mille Fleur coloring?
Ooooooh...... I so did not need to find this out.
Mille Fleur banties were the chickens that first got me interested.
SO PURTY!

Right now my goofiest hen is a Mottled Houdan - complete with poofball crest.
And presently she is in LOFF with me - comes running to be carried.

And I oblige, because for some reason my mutt rooster is mean to her :(
Maybe because she is more upright than the rest of the girls?
{shrug} Tickles me to have a pet chicken, but N-O, she will not be coming into the house anytime soon.

2 dogs' mantra:
I do not need more chickens, I do not need more chickens.....

JB
Apr. 6, 2012, 05:34 PM
Crap, now I want a mottled houdan after looking up pics!

2DogsFarm
Apr. 6, 2012, 05:50 PM
JB:
go for the Houdan only if you want decorative as opposed to useful/productive.
This hen took 7 MONTHS off laying after moulting.
At best she's good for maybe 3 eggs a week - medium-sized.

She also went broody (not a breed trait) for 3 Months - prompting me to buy 2 dayold chicks before she wasted away from gluing herself to a nestbox screeching all day long.
The very day I brought them home she decided, NTYVM, motherhood was not for her.
One of those chicks is now my rooster.
Maybe he blames her for his lonely foster childhood (I raised the chicks)?

RacetrackReject
Apr. 6, 2012, 07:46 PM
Ack! I didnt' state myself clearly. The partridge silkie was supposed to be a Mille Fleur D'Uccle, so that I would have 2 of those. I showed one Mille Fleur to the person boxing the chicks up and said "I want another just like this one". Well, I did get one that looks just like that chick, except it had a purple beak and feet and skin..lol. It turned out to be a partridge Silkie. I with they had Mille Fleur Silkies! How cool would that look ? I wish I had 2 Mille Fleurs, but oh well, I will have to make do with the one. It's so fiesty and cute as hell with the feathers on the legs growing in.

My Polish chicks are hilarious. I don't think they are the brightest birds though. Mine will get scared by something and shoot off like "OMG, flee there is something scary!". Then when they get on the other side of the pen they look over at what scared them like they have never seen it before and come running over like "Oooooh, what's that. Let me see". I'm pretty sure they would not survive in the wild..lol.

JB
Apr. 6, 2012, 09:18 PM
2DF - that would be ok - I don't mind just pretty :D

RTR - omg, I am lmao over the Polish! I would love to have some JUST for that :lol:

Western
Apr. 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
Every time I scroll past the title of this thread, I chuckle. I imagine chickens peeping out of dresser drawers, nesting in closets, etc.

JB
Apr. 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
Every time I scroll past the title of this thread, I chuckle. I imagine chickens peeping out of dresser drawers, nesting in closets, etc.

Wellllll.....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430347_10150728050105070_216532105069_11824899_129 0633703_n.jpg

NOT mine, but still ;)

sunridge1
Apr. 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
^lol Now I must get creative.

Daydream Believer
Apr. 6, 2012, 11:30 PM
Ah...the heck with poult watch..now I'm on calf watch. We bought an older cow in Feb from friends particularly to slaughter for hamburger for the summer markets. She has a quartered udder..one teat is enlarged. Anyway, they said when they brought her that she seemed heavier (by scales) than she should have been but she was grossly obese so it was hard to say for sur. My friends wondered about the neighbor's bull who has been known to wander and told me to keep an eye on her for a bit just in case....

Well, her pasturemates started calving last week and now she's making milk....so I think we're about to have our first calf at our farm. OMG... Apparently her udder problem will not be a problem for milk for one calf so that is not a problem...but wow...

2DogsFarm
Apr. 7, 2012, 08:07 AM
Whew! that was close...so I can put away the MF Silkie dream for now...

RTR: Polish are Houdan relatives. IMO the Run!AWAaaaaY! reaction comes from impaired vision.
I regularly trim my Houdan's crest - she literally runs into stuff if I don't.

JB: the dresser coop is hysterical : D

DDB: awwwww - you get a freebie with your burgercow, or a 2fer?
Must.Have.Pics.

JB
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:43 AM
Must have pics indeed DDB! What a surprise. there MUST be some creative name in there, I just know it :)

Daydream Believer
Apr. 8, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks gals. I'm hoping for a heifer calf so I can keep her as a breeder. I'm building myself a nice little herd. I have three young cows just bred for the first time as 2 year olds and now this old cow we bought for meat/burger who we did not expect a calf from. What is nice is she and her calf are unrelated to my young bull so a heifer from her could be bred to the bull.

She was really full of milk this morning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sa healthy calf and an uncomplicated delivery!

sunridge1
Apr. 8, 2012, 12:44 PM
3 little black fluff balls this Easter morning. :D

Daydream Believer
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:16 PM
Woohoo! Congrats on being a chicken mother Sunridge!

sunridge1
Apr. 8, 2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks DDB! It's been a tough go for me. I want to meddle sooo much. Makes me appreciate horse birthing practices a lot more. Three days is a little too long to restrain myself..;) I took some pictures last night as there was one hatched. It looks to only be only 4 as a total. If she leaves the nest before the others have hatched I may try to put them under another broody hen I have who is currently "settin' on nothin' :cry:".

Grataan
Apr. 9, 2012, 12:20 AM
3 little black fluff balls this Easter morning. :D

awwwwwwwww

RacetrackReject
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
Some headshots of the Polish chicks.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/415154_3588583751621_1184135915_3492631_1880904612 _o.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/470747_3588610352286_1184135915_3492648_2002632374 _o.jpg

JB
Apr. 9, 2012, 11:13 AM
OMG they are killing me!! :lol: :lol:

Heart's Journey
Apr. 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
My best friend has got ya all beat, she's got at least 175 chickens of all breeds, sizes, colors, etc I don't even know all the breeds, but I do know Silkies, Frizzles, Zultans, Speckled Sussex, Polish (red/black, black/grey), Americanas, (and lots more breeds of chickens) Guinea hens, 5 ducks, and about 10 noisy geese. There's alot of interbreeding going on, so she's probably created some new breeds as well.

She has 3 large chicken coops, a "chicken condo" her husband made, stalls in the barn have been turned into nurseries for sick or baby chicks, etc

They gather the eggs daily and donate to a homeless shelter or my family as they brought about 10 dozen to Easter dinner. And they made deviled eggs with goose eggs and even colored them. They were huge! I love opening up a carton and seeing what color and size eggs that one holds.

They name alot of them and several are really friendly and will jump in your lap to be petted. I find something so peaceful about sitting out at the barn, having a chicken in your lap and petting it....

RacetrackReject
Apr. 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
Another photo for JB. I'm not even sure how one sleeps on their head with the body hanging out of a feeder and one foot on the ground, but apparently it IS possible.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/464475_3597654778391_1184135915_3499518_1928938548 _o.jpg

Heart's Journey- I'm glad I'm not that bad...yet..lol.

sunridge1
Apr. 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
Here are some chickie pictures. I have a couple videos to upload for later.

Just hatched.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2137.jpg

Moved to the basement 1-2 days old.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2141.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2150.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f100/sunridge/IMG_2151.jpg

JB
Apr. 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
RTR I think I peed myself! :lol: :lol:

sunridge1
Apr. 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
Another photo for JB. I'm not even sure how one sleeps on their head with the body hanging out of a feeder and one foot on the ground, but apparently it IS possible.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/464475_3597654778391_1184135915_3499518_1928938548 _o.jpg

Heart's Journey- I'm glad I'm not that bad...yet..lol.

That is just plain wrong. :lol: I've seen them tip over and fall asleep in the dishes but never on one leg bent over. :lol: