PDA

View Full Version : Trailers - New or Used?

PrinceSheik325
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:09 AM
I'm in the market to buy a 2-horse bumper pull, and I am absolutely in love with the Hawk 2h dressing room + side ramp. The problem is that it's close to $15,000 new. It I was just purchasing the trailer, that wouldn't be an issue, but I have to buy the truck, too!

So, I've been trying to be realistic and look at other options. I found a 2007 Gore with a dressing room that I really like (no side ramp, tho) for $8000, and a 2009 Hawk that I also really like with a dressing room (again, no side ramp) for $10,000. Both are like new.

I know I should probably get one of these two trailers, but I still have the Hawk with the side ramp in the back of my mind. What would you do?

Jo
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:14 PM
I'd go used. I think of trailers like cars - they drop their value as soon as you drive them off the lot!

If a side ramp is life or death to you and you can afford it - then go for it.

(I realize this is really no help. Ha ha.)

Fancy That
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:39 PM
I agree with Jo - go used for sure :) Will save you a ton of money. Sames goes for the truck.

Good luck!

PrinceSheik325
Mar. 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for talking some sense into me, guys! :-) I agree, used is the better bet. Now if only I remember that...

Jim_in_PA
Mar. 22, 2012, 04:40 PM
Used is a great place to look for a "north American" trailer...while the good ones hold their value, they are still more affordable than new and you can often find something that needs minimal work if you look carefully. For those of us who hanker for a Euro trailer, especially for a specific brand/model, we're more often than not forced into new simply because there are a lot less of them "here" and they don't come up used very often, either.

reay6790
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:40 PM
Having just bought a brand new hawk from Risa at Happy Trails, I'm really biased right now. It was so nice to get everything exactly how I wanted it :)

ChocoMare
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
For a more reasonably priced new trailer option, check out the EquiBreeze (http://www.equispirit.com/equibreeze/2-horse-dress-features.html). You can get the side ramp as an option.

The Gooseneck model they show on the website is ours. We love it. We could never find a used trailer that had exactly what we wanted and we could not afford a fully enclosed new trailer. The EquiBreeze gave us the best of both worlds.

avance7
Mar. 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
I bought a "like new" used and saved alot of $. I bought it from a girl new to horses, she went out bought a horse and a trailer and then decided it wasn't her cup of tea. The trailer looks brand new, I think used less than 10 times and she had all of the original paperwork. It was a good deal and took a little while to find but worked out great. Just keep looking and you will find something you like.

Hilary
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:10 PM
I have a side ramp and honestly? I do not use it all that much. My mom drives, and we can put the cart in via the side ramp, and the pony actually will come up the side ramp and then back into his stall - the side ramp is lighter and she finds it easier to lift. But just me and my event horse? No, I only use it if someone parks me in so tightly I can't tie my horse on the side with the person door and don't feel like tying her on the other side and then walking around to the person door!

Go for the slightly used, and cheaper (which is actually how I got my side ramp trailer, so you might wait a bit and see what comes up)

Nipntuck
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have a side ramp on my 2+1, which I use when hauling a 3rd horse, but I NEVER use it for 2 horses. I did buy my trailer new from Risa and have been extremely happy, but that's how I spent part of my inheritance. :) I'm generally a used type of person.