PDA

View Full Version : Albion Saddles-widening the tree?

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
I had tried an Albion MW saddle that fit my horses like a GLOVE! However, it was black. I returned it, bought another MW off ebay, which was substantially too narrow for my horses, as well as didn't fit me.

The seller had sold it with no refunds, so I relisted it, then called Albion to get the serial number information. Albion states that is is a Medium Narrow. I have filed a paypal dispute, however, the previous owner is now stating that it was widened.(I had emailed her prior to contacting albion to confirm it was a medium wide).

I REALLY doubt that, since even my super narrow, slab sided guy is too wide for it, but I can't find anything about widening the saddles on their website....I've read a few places that say it can go up one size. Does anyone on here have any experience with this?

This was saddle number 9, I've finally buckled down and purchased a Tad Coffin that arrived yesterday and seems to be working, but this saddle hunt is KILLING me financially and I really don't want to get "stuck" with a $1300 saddle that is a different size then described, and all the ebay watchers/people that had inquired changed their minds when it went down two sizes....and honestly, I was REALLY specific in that I needed a MW-W, my horses have huge shoulders and the Albion was the first MW I've tried (vs. Wide/extra wide) that was a good fit.

meupatdoes
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
I had tried an Albion MW saddle that fit my horses like a GLOVE! However, it was black. I returned it, bought another MW off ebay, which was substantially too narrow for my horses, as well as didn't fit me.

The seller had sold it with no refunds, so I relisted it, then called Albion to get the serial number information. Albion states that is is a Medium Narrow. I have filed a paypal dispute, however, the previous owner is now stating that it was widened.(I had emailed her prior to contacting albion to confirm it was a medium wide).

I REALLY doubt that, since even my super narrow, slab sided guy is too wide for it, but I can't find anything about widening the saddles on their website....I've read a few places that say it can go up one size. Does anyone on here have any experience with this?

This was saddle number 9, I've finally buckled down and purchased a Tad Coffin that arrived yesterday and seems to be working, but this saddle hunt is KILLING me financially and I really don't want to get "stuck" with a $1300 saddle that is a different size then described, and all the ebay watchers/people that had inquired changed their minds when it went down two sizes....and honestly, I was REALLY specific in that I needed a MW-W, my horses have huge shoulders and the Albion was the first MW I've tried (vs. Wide/extra wide) that was a good fit.

Well, if a widened Albion fit your horse, and you now have a non-widened Albion, what do you think about maybe sending your Albion to Kate Wilson at Dutchess Bridle Saddle and having her widen your saddle for you?

I'm not seeing how the Tad works... I switched FROM a Tad TO an Albion because the first crippled my horse and the second uncrippled him.

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
Well, if a widened Albion fit your horse, and you now have a non-widened Albion, what do you think about maybe sending your Albion to Kate Wilson at Dutchess Bridle Saddle and having her widen your saddle for you?

I'm not seeing how the Tad works... I switched FROM a Tad TO an Albion because the first crippled my horse and the second uncrippled him.

Well...the Albion that worked, was a MW per Albion. I guess its possible that it was widened as well? So was a true wide vs. MW?

this saddle, despite being sold to me as a medium wide, Albion has listed as a Medium Narrow. Would it be able to be widened past a medium ? I was under the impression it would only go up one size?

as for the Tad...granted, I just got it yesterday, and pissy pants mare needs shoes before I can really see how she does in it (going on Monday). However, this Albion is WAY too narrow for her. Like...not even remotely close, which is why I didn't even bother talking to the local rep about fitting it to her.

meupatdoes
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
You would have to call Kate and see what she could do for you.

Personally, I think if you are doing remote fitting anyway I think taking a quick template and having a talk with Kate or Trumbull Mountain might be very helpful and eliminate 90% of your frustration.

Life does not have to be a wild guessing game with exhorbitant shipping expenses.

Good luck!

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:55 PM
hehe, thanks! My biggest problem I've had is my horses are "normal" on the back. Slightly curved, dont' have excessive withers etc. HOWEVER, my mare, and the one gelding have HUGE MASSIVE trapazoid muscles and massive shoulders, which has been my biggest fitting issue.

The chiro/vet yesterday even commented on how big of a shoulder my mare has...which is good because her front end movement is fabulous, but bad in that I have to set my saddle back 6-8" from the traditional girth groove just to clear her durn shoulder!

If this Tad doesn't work its going on consignment, and I'll either be dealing with my local Albion rep (whose hugely pushy), M&M Tack, or trumbell.

My original budget was limited, but has slowly been inching up as I've eliminated various options :/ Husband current idea is to sell the mare/gelding and sti

Melissa.Van Doren
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
IME, when a factory adjusts a tree, they stamp it that way next to the original tree width stamp. So, an original 17.5" Medium tree adjusted to a Medium Wide would look like:

17.5" M MW

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
This doesn't have a stamp for tree width at all, just the serial numbers. I called Albion (in the UK) and gave them the serial number and they say its a 2004 K2 Jump, medium narrow. I was like, narrow? thinking I misunderstood, she confirmed it was a medium narrow.

vxf111
Mar. 22, 2012, 04:56 PM
IME, when a factory adjusts a tree, they stamp it that way next to the original tree width stamp. So, an original 17.5" Medium tree adjusted to a Medium Wide would look like:

17.5" M MW

I've had trees adjusted by fitters many times over the years. None ever stamped anything.

vxf111
Mar. 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
Op, if you write your eBay dispute properly, you should win.

cobsize
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
Can Albion or a rep tell you how their MW and MN saddles generally measure? Then you could have data to put in your dispute when the MN doesn't measure the same as Albion's MW. I don't know if that would help, but can't imagine it would hurt.