PDA

View Full Version : Hunter/Jumper show barns in St. Louis MO

dasikins
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
Hi guys,

I came across a thread with a similar question posted back in 2010. I reviewed that thread, but my situation is slightly different.

I currently live and board my horse in NJ. My barn goes down to WEF for part of the circut, DEVON, Lake Placid, ect. We do the high adult jumpers currently and hope to do the Low A/O jumpers.

Does anyone have any insight into some good show barns in St. Louis that does the jumpers as well? I am not concerned about location as long as it's in the general St. Louis area.

Primarily I am looking for someone who operates a well run show barn. They don't need to attend the biggest shows in the country, but they know great horse care, turn out, and has experience in the jumpers.

Many of the names I got are in Chicago, KY, ect and I am only looking for St. Louis.

Thanks so much for your help!

D

SmallHerd
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
I would recommend Baskin Farms or Ridgefield Riding Academy. Both train and show hunters and jumpers, been around for a very long time, have nice facilities and turnout.

On a smaller scale, there is Irish Fox Stables. They do a lot of schooling shows and some of the bigger shows as well.

All 3 are very well run and have websites. Good luck!

dasikins
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks!

hasahorse
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
Boy, we are popular in St. Louis this week - 2nd thread about this.

Here is a rundown of barns in StL, in no particular order. All are quality programs and all have something to offer, it just depends on what you want:

Kennedy Farms - hunters/jumpers/equitation - mix of adults and juniors
KEE West - hunters with some jumpers and equitation - mix of adults and juniors, but seem more focused on hunters and equitation.
Baskin Farms - hunters/jumpers/equitation - lots of junior riders
Great Griffin Farm -jumpers/hunters/equitation - lots of adult riders
Irish Fox - not really jumper focused, but John occasionally has one. More hunters and fox hunters. More juniors, I think, but some adults also. They run a schooling show series.
Ridgefield - they are more multi-discipline these days, it seems - they do have some hunters and jumpers, but they do reining too. Don't see them much at the local rated shows, they do the schooling shows and have a show series.

Kennedy, KEE, Baskin, and Griffin all have gone to Devon, and all show at at least one of the winter circuits, and all show both here in StL and away. My barn, Griffin, did both WEF and Gulfport this year. If jumpers are your thing, Baskin and Griffin do have a lot of horses in the jumper rings at horse shows - definately more than the others listed.

mustangsal85
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:53 PM
Whenever I think of a big jumper barn in St. Louis, I think of Griffin.

HaulnHorses
Mar. 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
Whenever I think of a big jumper barn in St. Louis, I think of Baskin. :-)

http://www.baskinfarm.net/

I just brought them 2 horses, WEF to STL.

dasikins
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
Hmmm...Lots to look at, but thanks to everyone for posting! Any more thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Kashi
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:44 PM
Another big thumbs up for Baskin.

I rode with them in college and really enjoyed it there.