PDA

View Full Version : what am I looking for? gator, atv?

CVPeg
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
I guess I should bite the bullet and finally look for a used vehicle to traverse my land. I've always avoided this not wanting to spend the money, and because I have no garage or decent outbuilding. But I'm selling 75 acres of hilly property with fields & woods, and after getting some help in preparation last year, I kept getting asked, "don't you have an ATV/gator, etc?" I can see that when showing the property, it would come in very handy.

So the best thing would be to probably buy something used that I can turn around and resell when the land is sold. I'm starting to go through local Craigslists, but need some help.

What search terms do I look for? I'm thinking of something like a golfcart or gator - but my land is steep - there is a seasonal road along one side, and a tractor path now cleared once again through the middle. Some of it is often wet, and there are some dips, but I won't really have to worry too much about deep mud. Mostly looking to transport buyers, agents, (and my dog!;)) on trips around so not really looking to straddle it, but have something with a rear seat. I am a real estate agent, so will be listing the land myself and doing the showings. I can see this would really be beneficial to use - the main selling point are my lovely views, but one needs to get to the top!

Oh, and tips when looking - what to watch out for? Things to consider? How to do it on the cheap? :D (if that's possible) Thanks!

hastyreply
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
I would say you want something that several people can ride with you, ruling out the ATV. A mule or mule type vehicle would a probably work. Something with enough power to get around your place. I would think a golf cart might have trouble if your land is to rought, but maybe not.

Bluey
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:22 AM
JD gators or Polaris ranger or Kawasaki Mule or any of those UTVs would be good for what you want.
The ones with the box in the back.

Go to the local dealers and see which one may lease you one for the duration, or offer you a used one that they will buy back.

I expect once you use one of those, you may not want to give it up.;)

shakeytails
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:38 AM
Or you can buy a Jeep or something similar, and it's probably cheaper than a Gator or Mule.

Dressage_Julie
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Polaris Ranger's are great! I search for UTV or side by side. I monitor ATVtraderonline.com

Also, I would try to sell the vehicle with the sold property- I would have been more than happy to buy the vehicles at the farm I bought when I looked, however the vehicles were scooped up by the ex a couple weeks before our closing :(

pn
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:07 AM
We have a heavy duty golf cart with 2 front seats and 2 back that fold down to a platform. We are moderately hilly and it does fine( hates snow) so would likely need heavy tred tires for your property, but it has done a fabulous job of replacing the gator. Used it cost 3500. The gator was 13,000 and was terribly unreliable and very high maintenance.

CVPeg
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
Great! Thanks for all these good suggestions!

tikidoc
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:22 PM
Another vote for the Polaris Ranger. We love ours. Reliable, much cheaper than the Gator, and I have not had any issues with it getting anywhere on the property (we have a low end 4wd Ranger). And the dump bed is very handy.

Bluey
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:27 PM
Another vote for the Polaris Ranger. We love ours. Reliable, much cheaper than the Gator, and I have not had any issues with it getting anywhere on the property (we have a low end 4wd Ranger). And the dump bed is very handy.

Not any cheaper in our area, they all end up being about the same price, comparing apples to apples.

Now, if you compare a light duty one with a heavier duty with all the frills, then you are not comparing apples to apples any more.;)

judybigredpony
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
JD gators or Polaris ranger or Kawasaki Mule or any of those UTVs would be good for what you want.
The ones with the box in the back.

Go to the local dealers and see which one may lease you one for the duration, or offer you a used one that they will buy back.

I expect once you use one of those, you may not want to give it up.;)

YUP.....

katarine
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
We have a 99 model Mule with 4WD that has the bench seat- preferable to bucket seats IMO. That thing can go anywhere and has been zero trouble to maintain. The buyers will likely want to buy it, too.

tikidoc
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
Not any cheaper in our area, they all end up being about the same price, comparing apples to apples.

Now, if you compare a light duty one with a heavier duty with all the frills, then you are not comparing apples to apples any more.;)

I suppose, but it does not sound like the OP needs all the frills. Sounds like he or she needs a reliable vehicle that can go over fairly rough terrain and is reasonably priced. I think 4WD is probably the main "frill" that would be beneficial.

As far as price, when I checked about 18 months ago (when we bought our Ranger), there was a pretty big spread as far as price goes, with Deere and Kubota vehicles being much more pricey than vehicles made by ATV companies like Polaris. Apples and oranges? Maybe, to a degree, but both did everything we needed, and the Polaris had a dealership close to us and was among the best on price. I think Deere has come out with some smaller, more ATV-like vehicles since then, I don't know the prices though.

Another consideration, especially if you look for a used vehicle, is to be sure you can get it serviced locally. Another nice thing about the Ranger is that it is small enough to transport on the bed of our truck, so we did not have to worry about a trailer.

This is the one we have: http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV-RANGER/Mid-Size-Utility-Vehicles/RANGER-400/pages/Specifications.aspx (a 2011 or 2010 model but the same basic machine).

Jess

Bluey
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
All I will say is to go look at several, compare and see what you think will do what you want best.:yes:

crystalyoung1
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
My husband spent 15 months in Iraq as a solider. His unit had Gator's, Mule's and Ranger's. The only one to survive was the Ranger. He came home and bought one for our small place. We could not be happier with it! No problems at all with it( if we don't count the time I drove it into a barn;)) It pulls my mower, plows my drive, races my dogs to the pond and carts my elderly parents all without any difficulty. Last winter DH was on frozen pond doing donuts with it!:eek:

saultgirl
Mar. 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
My husband spent 15 months in Iraq as a solider. His unit had Gator's, Mule's and Ranger's. The only one to survive was the Ranger. He came home and bought one for our small place. We could not be happier with it! No problems at all with it( if we don't count the time I drove it into a barn;)) It pulls my mower, plows my drive, races my dogs to the pond and carts my elderly parents all without any difficulty. Last winter DH was on frozen pond doing donuts with it!:eek:

Can you give a link to the model you have?

Bluey
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:31 AM
Don't forget to look at dealers also.
Our local Polaris dealer, there is just one licensed in our large area, is three weeks behind he even gets to your machine and has an attitude about it, for what they tell me.
Many used Polaris 4 wheelers, but few do any more, because of that dealer.

Now, when it comes to brands, all are about the same, really, we just compared.
The JD new gators, 825i, have tested at the top of the ratings the past two years or so, but really, all main brands are putting out better and better machines.

I would still go look at all before deciding what is best for you.
Some one may have a good used one that is what you need, don't pass it up because it is supposedly the wrong brand.;)

baytraks
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:51 PM
Spotted this Polaris for sale ...

http://www.crankyape.com/default.asp?pg=DispSingleItem&ItemNumber=32903

suz
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
we really need something around here too.
dh wants me to get an rtv--seems they have extra low interest for sixty months.
but it's still a loan which i don't like.

i'm looking for a used old jeep or tacoma or something instead, but he says we'll just be buying a problem child. wish one of us was mechanically inclined.

ladybugred
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Crystal- I second that request! Thx!

LBR

ss3777
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:24 PM
love, love, love our Ranger! It is a 1998, 6 wheel drive version with a winch in the front. We use it for everything, beat the Bejeebers out of it and it keeps running! Hate our 4 wheel drive Kubota, the center of gravity is to high and if you take your foot off the gas it sends the passenger flying! The only thing good about it is that the bed has a hydraulic dump option that comes in handy. I have used golf carts and gators around farms and they don't seem as hardy as the ranger.

Bluey
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
If you get a roadworthy vehicle, like some kind of Jeep, that would be something to consider, as it would have more uses than any kind of UTV.