PDA

View Full Version : Dooley pilots

riderboy
Mar. 22, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thinking about a dooley for pulling our 2 plus 1 horse trailer. What are the differences in driving one with and without a trailer (around town running errands) compared to a 4 wheel one ton?

tuppysmom
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:06 AM
I don't go thru most "drive throughs". Those are usually attached to the type of places I should stay clear of anyway LOL!

I always try to park where I can pull through and not have to back out, but statistics show that to be safer anyway and I try to do the same with my car.

If the parking lot is small I back into the slot.

I wouldn't trade the safety factor of the dually for towing for the slightly easier parking.

If you get a Dodge the turning radius is pretty darned good too.

I would suggest comparing the brands that you are looking as for turning radius as well as pulling, fuel, torque, GVWR, etc

I love shopping for trucks and tractors and horses!

SmallHerd
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
A friend of mine has a dually and loves it for hauling, but not for running around town. The gas mileage sucks, and she can't find convenient parking spaces. You should also keep in mind there are 6 tires instead of 4, and truck tires are expensive.

I agree with TM - drive them all and see what you like best, compare towing capacity, torque, GVWR, etc.

shakeytails
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
I just bought another dually. You just have to be aware of those fenders. Drive-thrus are mostly OK, with the exception of some of those tiny Taco Bell drive-thrus that are tight for a non-dually. I'm not crazy about driving a dually "around the square" (people in the south know what I'm talking about) and on some narrower city streets, but as a rule if you're bigger people tend to stay out of your way. It's not that much different than a SRW truck.

DH drives the truck to work- it's only 11 miles each way. I drive my car for my 35 min trip to work. Unless we need the truck for doing truck things, we take the car to go anywhere because it gets much better fuel economy (about 40 mpg). He'll even take my car on the weekend to run to the bank just 7 miles away.

I figured out years ago that even with taxes and (liability only)insurance, a cheap little disposable car pays for itself so you don't have to drive the fuel hog. I don't care what my car looks like as along as it gets me from point A to point B. Tires are cheaper, maintanence is cheaper ('cept for oil changes- my car is diesel and likes full synthetic oil). And since I drive "junk", it doesn't bother me one bit to drive across a hay field with it to deliver a part or cold drinks!

SLR
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Well, for one thing it will bounce the hell out of you( says an old woman ) when its not attached to a weighted trailer. Hard to park, and yes I have had looks of horror on the bank teller's face when I've gone thru the drive thru. There are also mechanics who have told me you can't rotate the tires. They are somewhat hard to turn when backing up to the trailer, at least I have problems.
When we purchased ours, it was very hard to find an F-350 that was not a dually, at least here in the midwest. I do get admiring comments of "that's a nice truck" , which brings a smile. We also have a single wheel truck which is much easier. The dually is pretty much a dedicated hauling vehicle, but is really nice to have in the winter, when the weather is bad, as you feel very safe that anyone who would slide into you, would get the worst of it.

ChocoMare
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
Good timing on this thread. We're shopping dually's now too. If the CarFax comes back clean, gonna make an offer on this beauty: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2881214443.html ;)

riderboy
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Good timing on this thread. We're shopping dually's now too. If the CarFax comes back clean, gonna make an offer on this beauty: http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2881214443.html ;)

Nice truck! I had a 3/4 ton with a 7.3 liter diesel and loved it. SLR: I'm keeping my F350 single wheel. It has too many miles and too trashed an interior to be worth much. It has been a great truck and I can get it in the parking garage at work!

Frank B
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:37 AM
...can tow it, haul it, and pull the black off of asphalt... :lol:

Nice truck!

Belg
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:18 PM
Parallel parking is always exciting. I one p-parked the F350 Dually between a Porsche and a telephone pole on federal street in Middleburg... right by the coin lot. If you've been there... you'll know what a trick that was.. and exactly where that telephone pole is :=)

Nancy!
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
Much safer to drive with the extra wheels. Makes trailer that much more stable. I don't find any difference driving it by itself. You get used to what it can do.

I drive mine into drive=throughs without a problem. Yes, it is tighter than a car but if you know where your vehicle is you're fine. Of course I take my trailer places others wonder about. :lol:

I can parallel park it quite easily. The most trouble I had was when I bought a little car and paralle parked it. I was a mile from the curb.:D

Like anything, only you get it, you'll get used to it.

Nancy!

jbonifas
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:37 PM
I'm currently driving my dualy around town until the Jetta is out of the shop. It is a 2005 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab Cummings Turbo Diesel. Two weeks ago I punched a hole in the sidewall of one of the duals...$194.00 to replace. I filled up 1/2 tank and the pump stopped at $75.00. I do get 25 MPG running around town and 19 pulling my 3H slant w/8'-0 short wall and it pulls like the trailer is not even there. The turning radius is huge so there is no quick turn around EVER. I do like the intimadation factor and I've gotten really good at parking in crowded parking lots but perfer to pull thru park. I would not want to drive it 7/52 just because of the fuel cost.

LAZ
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:33 PM

I have that truck in a '95. It'll pass anything but a gas station (though, really, I get 15 MPG empty & 11-12 hauling my 2 horse gooseneck with 8' LQ so long as I don't go any faster than 70 MPH. It takes a city block to turn it, be forewarned.

Love the truck. Have been debating about getting a newer one, but mine is low miles & well maintained so may just get it repainted and throughly gone through.

I love the added security of the dual rear wheels when pulling a trailer. I will say that if you walk through the parking lot at the KHP and look at the fenders on duallys, probably 70% of them have cracks on the RH side. :lol:

tobruk
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:06 PM
"I will say that if you walk through the parking lot at the KHP and look at the fenders on duallys, probably 70% of them have cracks on the RH side."
Truer words....

ChocoMare
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
I have that truck in a '95. It'll pass anything but a gas station (though, really, I get 15 MPG empty & 11-12 hauling my 2 horse gooseneck with 8' LQ so long as I don't go any faster than 70 MPH. It takes a city block to turn it, be forewarned.

Love the truck. Have been debating about getting a newer one, but mine is low miles & well maintained so may just get it repainted and throughly gone through.

I love the added security of the dual rear wheels when pulling a trailer. I will say that if you walk through the parking lot at the KHP and look at the fenders on duallys, probably 70% of them have cracks on the RH side. :lol:

Hey, thanks for the vote of confidence on her!! Mr. C'mare test drove it last night and the owner was right: It will "pull the black off of asphalt!"

The owner did a bunch of custom stuff
to the interior for camping purposes for the kids and since that's all it was used for, the mileage truly is that low.

I work for a major private ambulance service and our Fleet Manager knows 7.3's like the back of his hand, as well as transmissions. He's going out with Mr. C'Mare Monday to give it a once over / listen. If he says "Ok," we'll write the nice man a check :D

katarine
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
I got the flat bed instead. I used to think they were ugly. I still think they are ugly. But I can't rip a fender off of it and I can get a whole lotta hay on that thing. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2985331720985&set=a.1307450455002.2046389.1492791407&type=3&theater)

Toadie's mom
Mar. 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Wow, that's unbelievalby low mileage. I had a '93 Dodge 350 that I traded in in 2004 with over 300k. That truck got 22mpg. My new Dodge gets 13:(

Anyway, back to riderboy. I have a car that I drive most of the time, but when I had my 1st dually, that's all I had. It IS easier to back into parking places, and I've never hit anything with my fenders :D, but my SO has(drive thru at the bank):mad: I cut him slack though, since he'd never even driven a truck before he met me. I don't haul near as much as I used to, and have thought about trading it in for a smaller truck, but I feel really safe in it and I like the way it drives.

BasqueMom
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:25 PM
Chocomare.....nice truck! Good luck!

Have a friend with 1997 F350 dually that's on it's fourth transmission with
about 120K miles on it. A friend here had a 1997 also and after numerous
transmission changes, sold it. There's one model of transmission R2F4 or something like that that was a disaster. But your FLeet Manager guy should
be up to speed on that stuff.

Former proud owner of a 1996 F250 7.3L that went to a new home with 285K
on it last fall. It not only could pull my two horse without a problem, it could
pull the whole barn, too! Colorado mountain passes....no problemo.

thathorse
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
As a young single interstate horse hauler-the dually stuck to the road and gave me and the horses security in the worst traffic and weather like nothing else. As an old married horse hauler-ditto. Around town, definitely less "convenient" than the convertible Corvette of my dreams, but if nothing else around here, well, probably turns more heads lol.

Speaking of dreams, once I dreamed I was driving the rig (aforementioned dually plus 4 horse slant with dressing room) in NYC and saw a friend. I hopped out of the cab in the drive lane, and folded the rig Origami style til it fit into the pocket of my Aussie duster and hailed my friend down the block.

You find THAT rig you snatch it up then and there!!!!lol

@Chocomare-good luck--love my F350 dually!

ChocoMare
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:13 PM
We got the loan money deposited to our account Friday and ran the full CarFax report this morning. Seller is only the 3rd owner. The low mileage is kosher. All service has been done at a local, reputable dealer. We'll be going tomorrow evening with my fleet manager for the final once over. If he says it's all good, we'll write the check and drive Big Blue home. Then on Sunday, Big Red will find her new home at Sunkissed Acres :)