PDA

View Full Version : Bridle suggestions

akstaj
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
I need a new bridle for a 16 hh quarter horse mare, cob is a little too tight and a regular horse is a little too big. Something in the $250 to $300 price range.

Florida Gator
Mar. 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
Bartville Harness will make you a custom bridle if you send them the measurements you need and it will cost you less than $200

Rel6
Mar. 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
Arc De Triomphe bridles come in sizes specifically for Quarter Horses: http://www.adttack.com/pages/adt-quarter-horse-bridles.php

Not sure about pricing though.

cleozowner
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:37 AM
Both Justbridles.com and fivestartack.com will mix/match horse and cob size pieces.

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
I second Five Star Tack! I mixed and matched my bridle- horse size headstall with an oversize noseband at no additional charge. They were very easy to work with, and their bridles are BEAUTIFUL! They are made of very nice leather so it doesn't take a lot to break them in/get them supple.

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:49 AM
Arc De Triomphe bridles come in sizes specifically for Quarter Horses: http://www.adttack.com/pages/adt-quarter-horse-bridles.php

Not sure about pricing though.

The Arc de Triomphe QH bridle is close to $400. Vespucci makes one that is also out of the OP's price range. Collegiate makes one that is much more economical. In fact, I think the link below reflects a sale price.

http://www.123tack.com/collegiate-fancy-stitched-raised-bridle.html

Mixing and matching pieces as suggested above might work, but the beauty of a QH bridle is that it has a long throat latch to accommodate the bigger cheek that many QHs have. I advise the OP to decide on the bridle based on the shape of her horse's head.

pattnic
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
"Quarter Horse Bridle" can mean a few different things:

1 - Standard sizing with longer reins
2 - Shorter cheekpieces
3 - Bigger browband
4 - Longer throatlatch
5 - Pretty much any combination of the above

So I wouldn't necessarily trust that "Quarter Horse" sizing will work.

I would look to Just Bridles, which allows you to mix and match parts and sizes of many different brands, beyond the few brands that already allow this on their own. Just Bridles is an excellent resource, regardless, as they have detailed measurements of all of their bridles and provide detailed instructions on how to measure your horse for a perfect fit.

Brands that will swap out parts as a matter of course:
-Edgewood (likely more than you want to spend)
-Beval (some lower-priced options available, but quality not there)
-Five Star (have not seen in person, so no judgement)

Edgewood has seconds available on eBay for a good price, and you honestly can't tell they are seconds. You may be able to come close to a good fit with one of these, and then buy individual parts from any other Edgewood dealer to get a perfect fit.

Vespucci off-the-rack may fit; their sizing is what comes closest to actually fitting my Franken-bridle-requiring gelding (he's an oversize brow, horse noseband, cob crown, pony cheeks sort, with excess straps still needing to be trimmed down).

Vespucci tends to be big in the brow, throat, and somewhat big in the nose, and short-ish in the cheeks.

Based on the measurements I've been given, it looks as though the SmartPak bridles and the Dover Showmark line may also be contenders. These are a little more standard overall, but seem to have a bigger-than-normal brow.

GingerJumper
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
I love my Five Star... fits my hard to fit TB well (although I'm not sure how well it'd fit a QH) and they do exchange parts.

I'd definitely look at JustBridles. I've never purchased from them myself but I have a lot of friends who have and they've all said positive things about their experiences.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
Both Justbridles.com and fivestartack.com will mix/match horse and cob size pieces.

So does Beval and I think Farmhouse Tack will too.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:06 PM
The Arc de Triomphe QH bridle is close to $400. Vespucci makes one that is also out of the OP's price range. Collegiate makes one that is much more economical. In fact, I think the link below reflects a sale price.

http://www.123tack.com/collegiate-fancy-stitched-raised-bridle.html

OP can do much better than a Collegiate and still stay within her price range. They are like cardboard and fine for the money but considering OP's budget I would go for something of better quality.

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 12:18 PM
OP can do much better than a Collegiate and still stay within her price range. They are like cardboard and fine for the money but considering OP's budget I would go for something of better quality.

Will take your word for it. I have no experience with Collegiate. I was just looking for QH bridles. I actually think the OP has lots of good options in this thread.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:28 PM
I just discovered that saddlersrow.com sells Edgewood bridles by the piece.

pattnic
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
I just discovered that saddlersrow.com sells Edgewood bridles by the piece.

Yes, but at a bit higher price than Just Bridles. Equus Now also sells Edgewood by the piece. And of course, if you call Farmhouse, they do so, too. But from my (recent, as in since my gelding broke his Edgewood last week), Just Bridles has the best overall prices.

BAC
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
That's good to know Pattnic, thanks. I found Lauren's Tack Trunk to have the lowest prices on Edgewood when I was looking but that was a while back, don't know if she is still the lowest or if she sells individual pieces.