PDA

View Full Version : HorseGuard or Wire Tinsel Fencing?

LittleHC
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
I am undecided as how I should fence in approximately 7 acreas of pasture for 3 large ponies. The electric wire tinsel would be cheaper but has the drawback of injury, the HorseGuard would be quite a bit more. The ponies tend to be smart and pretty settled. Any opinions? (The ponies will be wearing grazing muzzles most of the time while in this field!) Thanks!

Damrock Farm
Mar. 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
You don't want high tensile if that's what you are talking about. You can use plain electric wire. It's not as strong so will break if it gets hit and is only hand tightened rather than tightened with pulleys. The big drawback with wire is visibility. When I was a kid, there was no electric rope or tape, all that was available was wire and we had several fields fenced in with it. We hung plastic tape on the fence every few feet so that they would learn where it was. Once they learn the boundaries, it's just as effective as any other electric fence.

Cruiser12
Mar. 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Horse Guard fencing is fabulous

JB
Mar. 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
Ditto the HG.

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:23 AM
I've seen some pretty bad injuries from high tensil. That stuff stretches so much before it breaks. I don't like it. I'm okay with the coated stuff though if it's installed right. I've watched foals bounce right off of it.

Mah Navu
Mar. 22, 2012, 07:45 AM
I thought that high tensile wire was what our farm used....but upon hearing that it supposedly stretches alot, then what our farm uses must NOT be high tensile wire because it is THICK and doesn't give AT ALL.

Anyhow, it is hard to see, more fit for cows ...definately not for horses, but we LOVED this farm, with it's acres and acres of pasture, so we decided to tackle the problem of the invisible fencing....so here is our solution to that problem:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af30/mazinn/002-1.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78242686@N04/7005507591

Damrock Farm
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
That'll work, especially if you keep the fence hot. Some horses will test it every once in awhile so you want to make sure it's always on. :)

shakeytails
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
I thought that high tensile wire was what our farm used....but upon hearing that it supposedly stretches alot, then what our farm uses must NOT be high tensile wire because it is THICK and doesn't give AT ALL.

HT wire IS thick, and properly stretched, it doesn't have any "give". I like it for price and ease of installation. I think it's visible enough, especially when 5-7 strands are used and posts are spaced at 12' or so. I wouldn't use it in small paddocks or with silly youngsters, but it's fine in bigger pastures with mature critters. As for regular electric wire- you couldn't pay me enough to use it, I'd rather have barbed wire!

BTW, you really should feed that grey horse once in a while, he looks kinda skinny!:lol:

Unfforgettable
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
High tensile = cheese slicer for horses.

poltroon
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
The Horseguard is nice fence and it's pretty affordable per foot. Posts are probably a bigger issue for the expense, and the high tensile fence will require more thought on the posts to properly set and brace them, even not considering the safety concern.

concreteblond
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Please let me offer my opinion on this matter:

We have roughly 8 acres fenced in for 3 horses and 2 donkeys. We have our fence post placed every 12-20 feet. We have used solar powered, battery powered, and ac powered fence chargers! We have 5 strands of wire for the perimeter of 8 acres.

In that 8 acres are 5 acres in heavy woods and 3 acres cleared field. We have a rough run in shed, several paddocks and round pen. All 5 wires are hot. Charger is well grounded!

Our wires are low tensile strength. They break easily if a branch or deer hit it. I believe the wire is 18 guage. It is definitely not HIGH tensile wire. It is stronger than regular electrical wire. We have it well marked. The horses know where it is. All know where the lines are!

Many times have horses gone through it....not the brightest horses. The horse that is missing an eye had trouble! She knows it is there now!!!

Not once has a horse been hurt by the wire. I have had a horse impaled on wood fence and still loose. I have seen injuries by horses wrapped in fencing that doesn't break.

I like my fencing for costs, safety, and ease of installation. My horses are safe and well contained. While not the most aesthetically pleasing, I am very happy with my choice.

Look at the supplies and make your choices. I want my fence to break if a horse gets tangled in it. I want my horses to respect the fence. It works for our situation and our horses.

Good Luck in your choice!

Not all wire is high tensile or flimsy. There is something in between!