PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people have tall boots with no laces?

ponyjumper525
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
I'm thinkin about getting some new Parlantis, but I don't know if I should get them with or without laces. Let me know the pros/cons of each! Thanks!

AmmyByNature
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
Back before zippers, you needed laces to get a slim fit through the ankle while still being able to tighten the laces up for support. These were called "field boots." Now with zippers, you don't usually need the laces for fit, so they are slowly becoming more popular again. These boots without laces are called "dress boots."

You will still see more field boots than dress boots, but both are 100% acceptable.

Get the nicest and best fitting boots that you can afford. Chances are they'll be field boots, since those are much more common still these days.

iEquitate
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:48 PM
When I ordered my Parlantis in November, I was told that the split between orders of dress boots vs field boots was about 50/50 and therefore really just a personal preference. A lot of the big eq girls have dress boots, but you still see plenty of field boots in every division.

Sing Mia Song
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:53 PM
Technically, dress boots are more formal and more appropriate for the show ring. That said, I prefer the look of field boots. Either are acceptable today.

Pally
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:12 PM
At least one person has told me they have no laces because it makes the boots easier to clean and polish.

DressageOverFences
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:20 PM
I like my dress boots because theyre easier to polish and I dont have to worry about the laces becoming untucked or breaking.

Rel6
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:08 PM
My Parlantis with laces didn't even come with functional laces, they are the fake ones that are really just elastic and don't tie or tighten. I'm glad for it, as they already fit perfectly and I don't have to worry about them coming undone.

Flying Hearts
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:02 PM
Wait, what? I thought dress boots were for dressage and field boots were for h/j?

RougeEmpire
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:14 PM
Dress boots (which are much stiffer) for dressage and Field boots (which are much more flexiable) for Hunters/Equitation. I wouldnt be caught dead showing a hunter/equitation in dress boots just like I wouldnt be caught dead showing dressage in field boots. They are VERY different boots in form an function. It's not about looks, it's about sport.

spirithorse22
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
Wait, what? I thought dress boots were for dressage and field boots were for h/j?

Dress boots (which are much stiffer) for dressage and Field boots (which are much more flexiable) for Hunters/Equitation. I wouldnt be caught dead showing a hunter/equitation in dress boots just like I wouldnt be caught dead showing dressage in field boots. They are VERY different boots in form an function. It's not about looks, it's about sport.

Same here. This was my understanding as well.

Also, I was glad to be rid of field boots when I left h/j world as a kid. I've always had dress boots (especially fond of Spanish top and zippers, yes, yes, ;) ) as an eventer and dressage rider. Never ever wore dress boots as a h/j rider. Was taught the same as RougeEmpire.

Aven
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:19 PM
You can get softer not so tall dress boots. If you go hunting (lots of galloping and jumping efforts) you will see ppl in dress boots, but they are not the same (typically) as dress boots for dressage. they are much more flexible and have more give in the ankles.

I love dress boots. I haven't shown h/j in nearly a decade, but it would be nice if I could wear the dress boots I have for hunting all polished up in the ring.

AmmyByNature
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:48 PM
"Dress" boots and "dressage" boots are different.

Wearing black dress boots is actually more technically correct than wearing black field boots.

lachevaline
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:07 AM

That's what I thought, too, but interesting info here.

Peggy
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:09 AM
I earned a USDF Bronze Medal (scores thru 4th level) riding in HJ style Vogel field boots. On a TB. I really don't think anyone cared.

poltroon
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:38 AM
My Parlantis with laces didn't even come with functional laces, they are the fake ones that are really just elastic and don't tie or tighten. I'm glad for it, as they already fit perfectly and I don't have to worry about them coming undone.

Oh my freaking god. It has come to this?

When I was a kid, I'll have you whippersnappers all know, field boots only came in brown unless you special ordered them. And all the kewl kids had dress boots. Ideally, super-soft extra tall custom Vogels.

poltroon
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:42 AM

I've shown dressage in my super soft custom Vogel dress boots that came from hunterland, and also in off the shelf Ariat field boots. No one cares.

Some dressage riders do like the super stiff german style dressage boots. I personally do not. I would go back to my Vogels in a heartbeat for riding all disciplines if I could get them on. :-(

bumknees
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:38 AM
The only reason I have field boots is I destroied one of my ankles back in the early 80's. I can not get a dress boot on ( this was pre zipper in the back of boot time frame) if my life depended on it. I still have my Der Daus from that time frame. I probably will not be giving those up any time soon.. They are old enough to still have leather soles..
if I had my choice Id have dress boots even dressage boots and Id wear them in the hunter/eq( If I were young enough for the EQ ring) ring. I like the support etc of them.

copper1
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:55 AM
This thread makes me feel so old!!!! Back in the day EVERYONE wore dress boots for hunters and equitation and jumpers. Field boots started to come into vouge in the 60's and then they were brown or cordovan; most likely becasue field boots were informal and worn with tweeds. Somewhere in there, fashion dictated they should go from informal brown to more formal black and everyone started wearing them. (in other words, someone star rider got a pair of black field boots, won in them so everyone started wearing them!) With the demise of the appointment classes it didn't really matter. You could get a better fit, and with so many riders with bad ankles, you could get in them easier.
Like someone said, with the advent of zippers, laceless boots look good and easy to get on. Now it is a matter of preference from the rider, judges cant really tell from their booth and probably don't care and if you win or lose because of your boot style, there is a BIG problem! :-)

SMF11
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
I would go back to my Vogels in a heartbeat for riding all disciplines if I could get them on. :-(

I'm sure you know they can be altered. . . I bought my boots in my 20's and funnily enough, my legs were not the same shape (er, they were wider) in my 40's. Vogel added a panel so they fit perfectly again.

Trakehner
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
Style...what fun...and no train wrecks! Novel.

With hunters, you could wear brown/cordovan field boots if your jacket was tweed (something you could cub in). You wore the non-lacing boots if you wore solid coloured jackets or for an appointments class (which was very formal...some of us used "sewn-in" bridles).

Wearing regular riding boots wasn't considered anything odd or unusual. I still ride/show in Dehner boots, either "show boots" or 3-buckle field boots (they're like wearing sneakers, very comfy).

A good boot puller is your friend.

pattnic
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:46 AM

You're so young! :D

OP - my current goal is to rock my dress boots in every class I'm in - hunters included! Apparently, this is becoming the new fashion, so I'm going to be on the cutting edge!

Black dress boots were once de rigueur in hunters and are still correctly part of formal attire (the reason I have them - while I cannot quite say I wouldn't be caught dead wearing field boots with a shadbelly, it's pretty close, and I really hope no one noticed when I had to do it!).

Field boots were once standard in brown, and are still correctly so.

It is only in the show ring that we see black field boots - you won't find them out hunting.

And dressage people really don't care if you wear field boots. I have done so and felt no need to hide my face.

I think now that zippers are so common-place, we will be seeing more dress boots in the hunter ring again! (YAY! Tradition for the win!)

Horsing Before Velcro
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:22 PM
Pattnik,

I'm so so glad my mouth was empty when I read your signature!! Thanks for the best laugh I've had in months.

And I hope no one noticed when I hunted in field boots:yes:

...still laughing...

danceronice
Mar. 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
Field boots: with tweeds for cubbing.

Dress boots: Hunting in the regular hunting season.

And I'm only 33 and back in MY day, whippersnappers, my first trainer made me get dress boots because field boots weren't formal enough to show in. I stuck with dress boots when I got a second pair (which I still have) and my life was much easier with the zippers and custom-cut uppers.

Seal Harbor
Mar. 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Same here. This was my understanding as well.

Also, I was glad to be rid of field boots when I left h/j world as a kid. I've always had dress boots (especially fond of Spanish top and zippers, yes, yes, ;) ) as an eventer and dressage rider. Never ever wore dress boots as a h/j rider. Was taught the same as RougeEmpire.

Wrong. Dress boots are formal hunting attire, field boots are for cubbing/more casual hunting. Field boots should be brown, not black. They started showing up in the show ring in black in the 80's, zippers are fairly new in the grand scheme of things.

Dressage dress boots are different, they have a rod in the back of the boot that makes it sitffer, they don't drop.

There are TWO different types of dress boots, the ones they sell to fox hunters are perfectly acceptable in the show ring.

Fancy That
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:09 PM
What Seal Harbor said, exactly.

It IS true though, that we are now seeing some very nice fancy "Field Boot type Boots SANS LACES" showing up in the jumpers. I guess you can call these Dress Boots, but they are NOT the "dressage dress boots" - they are literally the typical nice black field boots we see in the H/J SHOW ARENA, just "sans laces"

Wrong. Dress boots are formal hunting attire, field boots are for cubbing/more casual hunting. Field boots should be brown, not black. They started showing up in the show ring in black in the 80's, zippers are fairly new in the grand scheme of things.

Dressage dress boots are different, they have a rod in the back of the boot that makes it sitffer, they don't drop.

There are TWO different types of dress boots, the ones they sell to fox hunters are perfectly acceptable in the show ring.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:20 PM
Unbelievable how many don't know the difference between dress boots and dressage boots. Or that think dress boots are unacceptable in the hunters. :rolleyes:

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:48 PM
This thread reminds me of the Beloit College Mindset List.

http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2015/

iEquitate
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:51 PM
Unbelievable how many don't know the difference between dress boots and dressage boots. Or that think dress boots are unacceptable in the hunters. :rolleyes:

:yes:
Dressage boots would not be okay at any level of hunters or eq, as they are stiffened to minimize ankle flexion and jumping in them isn't a very good idea, no matter what the height. Dress boots are softer, allow the ankle to flex, and therefore are perfectly fine for jumping and quite common in the hunters and eq. I assume people confuse the two because, from first glance, they look very similar.

ReSomething
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Fashion fashion fashion, that's pretty much all it is. And fit.
I still have my old Marlborough stovepipe dress boots and I remember seeing my first pair of (brown) field boots, custom Dehners, in the '70's.

Heck, I was wearing my Marlboroughs till my trainer got on my case because they'd wrinkled down a good three inches over the years. I loved getting spanish tops and zippers - beats a boot jack and boot pulls all to hell. That stitching at the top outside of your boots that sometimes comes with a tab or loop? Used to be where the canvas loops for the boot pulls were stitched in on the inside. Zippers are so nice!

OP, get what fits the best that you like!

Tap2Tango
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:05 PM
Add me to the group who loves dress boots! If I was in the market for a new pair of boots I would definitely get custom dress boots.

TrakHack
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:56 PM

+1

ponyjumper525
Mar. 23, 2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks everyone! I have learned that dress, field, and dressage boots are all different :)

Electrikk
Mar. 25, 2012, 08:32 PM
A good boot puller is your friend.

Ahaha when I read this I first thought you meant a friend can serve as a good boot puller, as opposed to a good boot pull is very handy to have when you do not have zippers. :lol:
But maybe that is what you meant...

fordtraktor
Mar. 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
Well, it is not so simple as "dress boots are OK in the hunters." I had dress boots in the 90's and my (good)(Virginia)(hunter) pony trainer told me that the were inappropriate. Because at the time, they were so far out of fashion they were not appropriate. Now they are back in, but really -- dress boots in the 90's were no more appropriate than non-TS puke green, or black tack, or white breeches on a hunter, or a non-velvet helmet. Things change and they are appropriate again.
I am no paragon of style -- I have a black saddle and wear rust regularly -- but there was a time when RougeEmpire's divide was real.

More on topic, I have field boots but want some Volants. The red ones. Those look awesome, and no laces!

poltroon
Mar. 26, 2012, 11:45 AM
Well, it is not so simple as "dress boots are OK in the hunters." I had dress boots in the 90's and my (good)(Virginia)(hunter) pony trainer told me that the were inappropriate. Because at the time, they were so far out of fashion they were not appropriate. Now they are back in, but really -- dress boots in the 90's were no more appropriate than non-TS puke green, or black tack, or white breeches on a hunter, or a non-velvet helmet. Things change and they are appropriate again.
I am no paragon of style -- I have a black saddle and wear rust regularly -- but there was a time when RougeEmpire's divide was real.

More on topic, I have field boots but want some Volants. The red ones. Those look awesome, and no laces!

Kindly, politely, but yet emphatically... your trainer was wrong.

If the boots didn't fit well - that is, they weren't tall and they didn't conform to your leg beautifully, then yes, better boots were worth buying. That is why the Eq trainers first started moving kids to field boots, because they were trimmer around the ankle. But no judge worth riding for gave a fig about whether your boots had laces at the ankle or not, and most likely, was busy enough watching your performance, your position, and your horse's way of going that s/he never noticed. I don't care what your trainer said.

fordtraktor
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Maybe that's true in the sense that they weren't "wrong" from a field hunter or historical perspective, but nobody wore them then. Now people do but for at least a decade and a half they weren't used any more than my black saddle and thus, for the intended purpose, were wrong. Don't think the trainer needed to go into a full historiographic explanation for the fact that yes, I should have field boots to complete the picture and look like I belonged.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 26, 2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe that's true in the sense that they weren't "wrong" from a field hunter or historical perspective, but nobody wore them then. Now people do but for at least a decade and a half they weren't used any more than my black saddle and thus, for the intended purpose, were wrong. Do you really dispute that?

I dispute it. I've never even owned a pair of field boots. Couldn't afford both field and dress, so got dress, since they are ALWAYS correct, and doing sidesaddle, required for appointments classes.

And I wouldn't say "nobody" wore them. I can guarantee that those who know what's correct wore dress boots with shads even in the time frame you're talking about.

BAC
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:09 PM
Maybe that's true in the sense that they weren't "wrong" from a field hunter or historical perspective, but nobody wore them then. Now people do but for at least a decade and a half they weren't used any more than my black saddle and thus, for the intended purpose, were wrong. Don't think the trainer needed to go into a full historiographic explanation for the fact that yes, I should have field boots to complete the picture and look like I belonged.

Poltroon and MGP are correct. There are lots of ignorant trainers out there BTW, just because yours told you dress boots weren't appropriate doesn't mean he/she was right. And you're wrong when you say "nobody" wore them, they come in and out of fashion but lots of people continued to wear them. And if you think wearing black field boots made you look like you belonged, that's just sad.

Trixie
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
And if you think wearing black field boots made you look like you belonged, that's just sad.

I'm not really sure what that's supposed to mean.

Most people were wearing black field boots at the time. That being said, dress boots are - and always have been - correct (in fact, more correct). Of course, my trainer (good, MD, 90s) at the time also told me to get field boots. Maybe I can be sad, too?

fordtraktor
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
You, me, and pretty much anyone who showed in the 90's, Trixie. Our ignorant louts of trainers! They told us to wear puke green breeches too! And no black jackets. Didn't they know tan and black are correct? Cretins!

poltroon
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:28 PM

I totally dispute it. You just didn't notice because the difference in laces or not laces is very subtle and hard to see from a distance if the boots fit well. Or it should be, because floppy laces are sloppy. Usually people tuck them in as best they can, and they choose black laces that will be hard to see.

Tell me: is Meredith Michaels-Beerbaum wearing dress boots or field boots in this picture? (Second image down)

http://blogdehipica.wordpress.com/tag/global-champions-tour/page/2/

I suspect you could go through a lot of images of riders and not be able to tell.

It probably makes more difference if you wear your lucky socks (http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/kessler-and-engle-pull-remarkable-finish-usef-olympic-show-jumping). :D

poltroon
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
You, me, and pretty much anyone who showed in the 90's, Trixie. Our ignorant louts of trainers! They told us to wear puke green breeches too! And no black jackets. Didn't they know tan and black are correct? Cretins!

The point is, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy and it wasn't actually germane to your success or lack thereof.

Do you know how green jackets and puke green breeches became popular? Because someone who happened to like them, wore them, and started winning. She didn't win BECAUSE of her color choices. She won because she had the best performance.

You can, too.

This kind of fashionism is destructive, the idea that you would need to get rid of perfectly serviceable and appropriate items because someone else thinks they don't look like what someone else is wearing. It makes as much sense as someone starting to win with a horse with white socks and all the trainers saying you need to get a horse with white socks to fit in.

It's your performance that matters. Your clean, tidy, and elegant presentation. Not the labels on your equipment or the laces on your boots.

Now, if you needed new boots, and field boots were the best fit for you, or what you wanted, by all means! I am glad that they became acceptable... again because someone who picked them started winning while wearing them.

By the way, ideally, you don't want to fit in at a horse show. You want to stand out, as the best. :D

BAC
Mar. 26, 2012, 01:49 PM
:yes:
Dressage boots would not be okay at any level of hunters or eq, as they are stiffened to minimize ankle flexion and jumping in them isn't a very good idea, no matter what the height. Dress boots are softer, allow the ankle to flex, and therefore are perfectly fine for jumping and quite common in the hunters and eq. I assume people confuse the two because, from first glance, they look very similar.

I know all that and don't understand your post. I know the difference, my comment was that I find it unbelievable at how many people DON'T know the difference between them.

fordtraktor
Mar. 26, 2012, 02:16 PM
I find it ironic that people are lecturing me about being a slave to fashion. Ah, the internet. My Walmart and paint/bleach splattered tank top aesthetic apparently does not convey over the web.

BTW, the field boot/shad "issue" was pretty much nonexistent, as shads had not caught on at the typical A show. Maybe at Devon/indoors, I wasn't there so can't speak to that. But not at pretty big As. One girl did wear a shad and dress boots relatively often on the local circuit, she had a nice chestnut TB type and I still remember her apparel so it must have been unusual to stick out like that. Good rider and cute, bald-faced horse with a belly spot. Don't remember their names but I can still picture the horse.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 26, 2012, 04:20 PM
BTW, the field boot/shad "issue" was pretty much nonexistent, as shads had not caught on at the typical A show. Maybe at Devon/indoors, I wasn't there so can't speak to that. But not at pretty big As. One girl did wear a shad and dress boots relatively often on the local circuit, she had a nice chestnut TB type and I still remember her apparel so it must have been unusual to stick out like that. Good rider and cute, bald-faced horse with a belly spot. Don't remember their names but I can still picture the horse.

Yes, used to be shads were saved for Very Special Classes.

The point is, dress boots always have been correct and accepted. I still kind of turn my nose up at black field boots. Even though they are commonplace, they aren't correct.

Trevelyan96
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Black field boots were the transition between hard to fit dress boots and zippers. They came into fashion because you could get a trimmer ankle with more flexibility than in a dress boot in the time before zippers. Better fit, more comfortable, sleeker look.

With the advent of zippers, many riders are going back to proper dress boots and there's also a revived interest in brown field boots (yay!).

Equibrit
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:32 PM
I'm thinkin about getting some new Parlantis, but I don't know if I should get them with or without laces. Let me know the pros/cons of each! Thanks!

Get what YOU like.

karlymacrae
Mar. 26, 2012, 06:48 PM
I think a lot of people are getting confused with "dress boots" and what is a field boot without laces.

Dress boots are tall, stiff, used in dressage and not very fitted through the ankle.
http://www.dressage-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ashley-holzer-pop-art-olympic-games-dressage-freestyle-can-ashley-holzer-pop-art-imgl4506.jpg

Then there's field boots.. which are as fitted through the ankle as possible
http://www.francotucci.com/dataload/prodotti/maxi/124868763292.jpg

then there's field boots with no laces.. the newest comeback trend.. becoming popular because they can be the most fitted through the ankle since there's a zipper.
http://www.equiport.co.uk/catalogue/images/large00743.jpg

I feel like we need very clear names for each, lol! I get the impression that people are thinking that tall, stiff, straight boots are becoming popular in the equitation ring or something..

ETA: read more of the thread and it seems as though people are sticking with "dressage boots" "dress boots" and "field boots". Yet another lingo transitioning stage for everyone!

MyGiantPony
Mar. 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
then there's field boots with no laces.. the newest comeback trend.. becoming popular because they can be the most fitted through the ankle since there's a zipper.
http://www.equiport.co.uk/catalogue/images/large00743.jpg

Um. No.

Those are dress boots.

The difference between dressage dress boots and hunter dress boots has been explained earlier in the thread.

There is no such thing as field boots without laces.

relocatedTXjumpr
Mar. 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
Add me to the list of "my trainer told me so"...I moved out of jods and into "tall" boots in the 90's and was also told to get Field Boots and not dress boots.

Now, I was NOT showing at the "A" level, but a fairly tough local circuit at the time. I wonder if some of this depended on what part of the country you rode in? I grew up riding in TX, at a large hunter/EQ barn.

I still have the Ariats I bought eons ago...no zippers and REAL laces...LOVE them, they fit like a glove, although I never have figured out how to get them off without my Dad helping me...my husband doesnt quite do it the same way Dad does!

2 years ago I royaly messed up my ankle, so I will need to invest in a new pair of tall boots for next show season...Ill go with the field boots with a nice sturdy zipper in the back!

M. Owen
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:41 PM
Late '80s early '90s gal and I too was told go buy field boots- along with my puke green breeches and a navy jacket. Before the navy jacket I had a gray one which was very OUT of style at the time- but my mother and I didn't know better and were talked into it at a tack shop.

That aside, I really want to try on a pair of the Tredstep Raphael's. They kind of are field boots without laces- see here on Smartpak
http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredstep-raphael-tall-boot-10394p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I don't really know whether to call these field boots or dress boots as they're really neither, but I think they are nice and sleek looking. I was talking about them with a couple of friends and they think they aren't traditional enough looking. I think from a distance you wouldn't be able to tell if they had laces or not.

MyGiantPony
Mar. 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
Late '80s early '90s gal and I too was told go buy field boots- along with my puke green breeches and a navy jacket. Before the navy jacket I had a gray one which was very OUT of style at the time- but my mother and I didn't know better and were talked into it at a tack shop.

That aside, I really want to try on a pair of the Tredstep Raphael's. They kind of are field boots without laces- see here on Smartpak
http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredstep-raphael-tall-boot-10394p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

I don't really know whether to call these field boots or dress boots as they're really neither, but I think they are nice and sleek looking. I was talking about them with a couple of friends and they think they aren't traditional enough looking. I think from a distance you wouldn't be able to tell if they had laces or not.

Those are pretty cool. I'd lean towards calling them dress boots, but I wouldn't wear them in an appointments class.

They look really comfortable.

lauriep
Mar. 27, 2012, 02:04 PM

Ah, NO! That is just not true. Dress boots have ALWAYS been completely acceprable in the hunter jumper ring. Thirty years ago, you never saw black field boots, only brown, so black boors were always dress boots. They are the more formal option, so were always worn in classics and GPs. Only fashion made them less popular, and the advent of black field boots. But they have always been appropriate and correct for the h/j exhibitor.

Peggy
Mar. 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
IMHO using the term "field boots without laces" is kind of like saying "snaffle pelham" when you mean jointed pelham.

Dressage boots with the stiffer leather and stiffeners up the back are a subset of dress boots, again IMHO.

I always figured that the black field boot trend evolved from the brown field boot trend when people started going back to the darker jackets. They wanted a more formal look with black boots, but didn't want to give up the convenience and fit of having laces. Or maybe a custom boot company accidentally sent someone a pair of black field boots, that person was good, and the trend took off. (I've heard that's how the puke green breeches got started: TS messed up a batch, they sold well, and then TS had to figure out how to reproduce it.)

Trakehner
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ahaha when I read this I first thought you meant a friend can serve as a good boot puller, as opposed to a good boot pull is very handy to have when you do not have zippers. :lol:
But maybe that is what you meant...

That's when you find out who your friends are...who'll let you put your foot on their butt while they cradle your foot/ankle to pull off your boot. Real friends put a towel on their "puller's" butt. I love the look when people, who have never heard of this technique are told what they need to do....very cute.

I actually meant the good wood types of puller where something supports your boot toe so it doesn't slip off the puller and you instantly nail your shin with the boot heel...that's fun!

fordtraktor
Mar. 27, 2012, 09:34 PM
As for boot pulling...I have had great success using a truck door. Toe under door, heel against truck, pull door as tight as you can get it and pull/wiggle your merry way out of the boot. Very effective if you are solo and have really tight boots.

asb_own_me
Mar. 30, 2012, 10:30 AM
With the advent of zippers, many riders are going back to proper dress boots and there's also a revived interest in brown field boots (yay!).

I hope so (the revived interest in brown field boots). I would like nothing more than for Ariat to offer their Monaco field boots in brown. Their off-the-rack Monacos fit me like a glove......I would be in heaven if I could buy them in brown. As it stands right now, to get the brown field boots I covet, I'm looking at a $3k investment with Der Dau. Hard to swallow :eek: