PDA

View Full Version : Had such a blast yesterday!

Rel6
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
I pulled Roh out of the field about two weeks ago and his front left leg was puffy and swollen. He had cut himself and it got infected, so he spent a week on stall rest and antibiotics. He came back perfectly and completely sound, so yay! In probably not one of my smarter moves I pulled him out of a week of stall rest, lunged him to see if he was sound, and then hopped on bareback. I just walked and trotted but he was perfect and calm.

Anyway I felt compelled to post after that thread of a week ago about taking an OTTB onto a track. We've had some thunderstorms so Roh didn't get ridden for a few days. I had a lesson on him yesterday and the ring was wet so we rode up on our track. Now our track is an old standardbred track. Our coach grows hay in the center and we use the near, wider side as a ring.

Well he was a little happy at the trot but settled quickly. Then we cantered...it took A LOT of circling to finally get him to understand that we are not racing and yes, he can canter out in the open and not bolt in a straight line. Our first canter to the right was a little hairy. But he's a super quick learner and to my (and my trainer's!) surprise his left lead canter was much much nicer. He stayed out without getting faster and settled really well.

The most exciting part of our lesson though was Roh doing his first few cross country jumps. We have a few logs scattered up there that we took some of the horses over. They are set down in a ditch off of the inside of the track, and Roh did NOT want to go down there at first. Once he did the jumps were the least of his concern. A few minutes later he was cantering boldly down the line of logs and through the mud. They're only 18'' or 2ft, but it was definitely a blast.

I wish I had a video! The only video I have of me riding him is a few weeks old, but I'll post it anyway: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSem_tnimI8&context=C4c402c8ADvjVQa1PpcFPu2VXZ8nZE3UZoIGdMFWdb 6wwev9PEMBM=

Pink Cadillac
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry, but he looks lame to me. Not consistantly but it is definatly still there....

MurphysHuman
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
If the video is a few weeks old, is it from before the injury mentioned in the first post?

Rel6
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Sorry, but he looks lame to me. Not consistantly but it is definatly still there....

Your probably seeing him being a little footsore because was barefoot. We tried to stretch it as long as possible, but he's getting shoes today. He's got great feet for a TB but living outside and riding him everyday is making him need shoes.