PDA

View Full Version : Chenoweth equine dentistry in Illinois

jhorse11386
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:35 AM
Does anyone use them or has used them? My vet works with them and they have been doing my horses teeth for a few years but every time I mention that to someone else they tell me not to use them because they take off way to much tooth. Any experiences with them? Good or bad?

Fluffie
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
We've used them several times--no problems & never heard anything negative. :)

findeight
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:54 AM
If the vet says they are OK and has worked with them? I'd take that over "somebody else" whoever they may be with whatever qualifications they have to assess equine dentistry over a period of time.

jhorse11386
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Ok, that is what I was thinking. My vet is always there when they are working and I have liked them so far and I trust me vet, I was just wondering. Thanks for the replies! :)

sublimequine
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
Never used them, but also never heard anything bad about them. Met them a few times, they seem to do well around the horses.

runNjump86
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:54 PM
I used him for several years, and love them. Everyone on staff who comes to the barns is very knowledgeable, friendly, and professional. Dr. Chenoweth himself is a wonderful man.

I'm not sure who the vet that travels with them is now, but when I used him the vet was also really great. We would have shots and Coggins done at the same time as teeth because he gave us a great discount since he was already there.

Highly, highly recommend them!

crthunder
Mar. 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
I will be the neigh-sayer :(

We used to use them for years at my older horse's barn. But I could not afford the $$$$ every six months (with a bill that described all kinds of problems with my horse's mouth, tranq required because he needed the dremel, etc).

Found someone who is a vet and specializes in dentisty. My horse had such smooth, small teeth it was over a year before he even needed a basic hand float. Figured out also that the reason the barn manager's horse kept getting impacted on partially chewed hay... he had smooth nubs instead of teeth from so much dremeling :( (horse recovered after two rounds of IV fluids and months of soaked hay)

My horses and I are much happier (financially and teeth wise) now that my equine dentist only does the necessities.

As far as a time frame for references... when we started using them it took two days to go through our entire barn (over 60 horses). The last time they came they were in and out in one morning...

Hmm...

Just keep an eye on their teeth and don't be afraid of a second, impartial, opinion. Remember your vet is also making $$ by being the sedation person...

Becky & the boys

morganpony86
Mar. 22, 2012, 07:56 AM
I have never used them, but have heard negative things about them from people I trust. Enough so that I travel out-of-state to have my horse's teeth done.

Mosey_2003
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:05 AM
I just used Lisa Schaefer and was very satisfied...

jhorse11386
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the responses! This gives me a lot to think about. I trust my vet but I have other experienced horse professionals that I trust as well and will not use them. My horse is not due to have his teeth done until fall so I have some time to view all my options.

Paints87
Aug. 7, 2012, 10:02 PM
Who is to say that these guy "take off too much teeth"? How would the person looking in the mouth know what they had started with in the first place? I have a friend who used the Mike Fergal (sp) dentist and they said that they had their vet out less than a week later and he had done next to nothing to help her horse with the locking points in the mouth and also there was no "bit seat" (she rides 4x or more per week with a bit so its needed). On the upside that Mike guy doesnt get too aggressive but your paying $ to make yourself feel good, not your horse. I was skeptical of using Jeremy Chenowith also. However he came out and fixed an old (26yr) mare i have. She was unable to gain any weight and struggled to eat. Jeremy pulled a tooth and floated her mouth and she did VERY WELL. I am super pleased. I voiced my concern about him being to aggressive to his face and this is what he told me. "power tools are like guns. If put in the wrong hands they can be extremely dangerous." The Chenowith group are also CERTIFIED. My vet told me she stopped doing teeth because once she saw the quality work they were doing she wanted her clients to have the best and started giving the shots for them. Please consider the dentistry knowledge of the person you are asking for opinions!

Time Bomb
Aug. 7, 2012, 11:07 PM
I've used them for a few years and never had a problem. They were always very affordable and were great with the horses.

crthunder
Aug. 8, 2012, 05:22 AM
Since I was the original "unhappy customer" who posted... How do I know too much was taken off?
Horse had impaction colic on/off for threes months. Had another vet (certified specifically to do dentistry as well as DVM) and noted many of his teeth did not even meet to grind and were smooth from dremel. Horse was said by Chenoweth to need a float every six months bc of bad month. He didnt end needing another float for nearly two years because his teeth were so smooth!

I found Ron Chenoweth to be super before the power float everybody days. Now I use a vet who specializes in dentistry who will power float if necessary or hand float.

Just my experience of course. Oh and the old guy with the colic problems is doing great 7 years later at age 43 with no colic since.

Becky and the boys

Rick Burten
Aug. 8, 2012, 11:21 AM
Raalph is 43? Amazing! He still at AKF?

crthunder
Aug. 8, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hey Rick!! Raalph is 35. Sue's horse Bud is 43 or more.we lost track!!! Tootsie the pony is still around at around 33!!
:)
Becky & the boys

Toothgrinder
Aug. 10, 2012, 12:57 PM
I voiced my concern about him being to aggressive to his face and this is what he told me. "power tools are like guns. If put in the wrong hands they can be extremely dangerous "

Huh? Worst analogy ever or perhaps he knows how really destructive these tools can be?

runNjump86
Aug. 11, 2012, 03:04 AM
Huh? Worst analogy ever or perhaps he knows how really destructive these tools can be?

How is it the "worst analogy ever"? It's true. Of course they can be destructive if not used correctly, or if used too aggressively. Jesus, its not rocket science.

He was fairly priced when I used him, and only did my horse (and the majority in the barn) once a year because, in his words, "they don't need more than that".

Of course everyone will have different experiences, but that's mine.