PDA

View Full Version : New Stuff...Blanket and Girth question

elizabuggy
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:52 AM
Getting my new horse on Saturday and getting prepared! Haven't owned a horse in 15 yrs and have minimal stuff that can be reused! So, I have 2 questions (more to come I am sure!):

1. Girth: I used to just ride in a leather one, but it seems we have moved to a fleece girth for schooling? Is this right?

2. Blanket: It is still 40 degrees here. What kind/weight of blanket(s) should I invest in? She will be turned out and in a stall. Brand suggestions that are good but economical?

Thanks!!!

alto
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:10 AM
1) Girth: leather is still de rigueur at my barn :yes:

2) Blanket: make sure it is returnable (for cash not store credit) so you can check the fit. Weight really depends on whether she is clipped & how she is clipped - did the previous owner not want to sell any of her existing blankets?

Turnout - solo or group? if the latter & she is the type to "horseplay" you will do better to pay more for a high denier blanket (eg 1000 & up) with "ripstop".
I like Bucas as they fit my horse very well (welsh cob), started with a $Freedom & a $$Smartex - guess which needed repairs after < 4 weeks wear & which washed up "as new" after 1 year :sigh:
Of course he does play & is quite unwilling to believe that every horse he meets is not just as eager to play :rolleyes:

comingback
Mar. 21, 2012, 08:01 AM
Your leather girth should be fine. While the sheepskin/fleece lined ones are popular and I will sometimes school in one, I prefer the leather....particularly for show.

Agree with the above regarding blankets.

Congrats on the new horsie!

gottagrey
Mar. 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't invest in any tack until your horse arrives. It's been my experience that girths can be funny items. You purchase a 52" girth have it for years and it's been wonderful. Low and behold you have to replace head to the tack shop buy the same brand, stylen & size girth; get to barn only to find out you need a 54":eek: A friend of mine called me - said she needed a new girth I said what size is your old girth "50" I said get 52" she got a 50" didn't fit had to get a 52". I'm not sure what the deal-ee-o is but there you have it.

We have a great tack shop that lets you take things to try - as long as you do use them you can bring them back -so it s' great for blankets, bridles and saddles

Congrat's on the new horse! and happy shopping

BAC
Mar. 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
I prefer leather girths too. For everyday I will frequently use a girth sock to keep it clean longer, and just as effective as those messy fleece girths if your horse is sensitive. They are cheap, come in black, dark brown, a lighter "chestnut" brown and white, as well as pink and blue, ick! and as easy to wash as a pair of socks, no clanging buckles in the dryer as you have with girths.

http://equestrian.doversaddlery.com/search?w=girth%20sock&cart_count=0&cart_total=0.00&dmi_offer_code=SITE&idc=0&ids=2spxqxe4x1eytm55ntll1z3p

hequestrian
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:13 PM
First, Congrats on the new pony!!!

Girth wise I prefer my fleece girth (http://www.hitchingposttack.com/servlet/the-1294/Kincade-Fleece-Girth/Detail) because I love that it is double sided elastic. I don't have a leather girth right now that fits my gelding but I think that I would use that some if I had one and for sure when I was showing. I think I am going to invest in a neoprene girth for this summer because I know quite a few people that have them and they just hose them off in the summer.... Something like this (http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartpak-air-neoprene-girth-9889p.aspx?cm_vc=Search) or this (http://www.doversaddlery.com/Lettia%20Clik%20Girth/p/X1-02005/tid=froogle/eid=X1814001/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchantAdv&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=88&zmap=0002005010420X1-02005).

Blanket wise I would say it depends on your horse. If they are clipped and it is still getting into the forties you might want a sheet and a medium? Not clipped you should be perfectly fine with just a sheet IMO. As others have said the higher the denier the better.

costco_muffins
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
Basically all the mares at our farm have this blanket:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/amigo-med-weight-turnout-blnkt/p/X1-24819/?ids=55imes45zsl03w45fwlvuhi1

It has held up really well (our mares generally do not play hard) and the fill is PERFECT for this in-between season we are having in the PNW.

I just downgraded my clipped boy to this rug from his heavyweight (he is not rough on clothes either) and this one is warm without the bulk. It seems to fit many horses really nicely, too.

Plus, the $69 price tag is quite nice.

costco_muffins
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:07 AM
I also love this girth:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/toklat-contoured-synthetic-girth/p/X1-02175/?ids=55imes45zsl03w45fwlvuhi1

It is easy to wash, and cleans up nice every time.

They run around $32 or so if I remember correctly from the Issaquah Grange. Definitely a good deal.

TB7
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
40 degrees is not particularly cold. Is that the absolute coldest it gets near you? If that was the coldest, I'd invest in a T/O sheet. If it gets into the 30s and below freezing in the winter, also invest in a mid-weight t/o.

Girth wise - I have a fleece girth for my horse and a leather girth for my pony (with a fleece cover for the pony as well). I've never liked the thought of using a girth without a fleece cover for the horse's comfort - always thought of the leather rubbing their bellies. You could get a leather one with a fleece cover if your concern is simply cleanliness and the ease of washing a cover. Leather girths tend to be more expensive - you also have to think about it matching your saddle.

Does your saddle fit her? Does she come with a saddle that fits her? Don't want your horse to have back issues with a poor fitting saddle!

FLeventer
Mar. 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
I have leather girths and fleece girths. I use both and they are acceptable.

Personally even in Central FL I have a T/O sheet (no filling) and a mid weight blanket (200 grams and above). Above FL I would get a heavy weight. I would go with something that is a heavier denier like 1000 or above because they are more durable. SS Tack (sstack.com) has good blankets at a good price. Nice stuff and they stay waterproof. There are threads on here about them.

Some people like the amigo blankets, but I have found that they are not too durable. They have the new 1200 denier but not sure how those will hold up as I have just tried the 600 denier. They have tail cords which some people do not like. I personally love them. Easier and you don't have to touch nasty straps.

Weatherbeeta also makes nice blankets. I don't like their Genero blankets but the rest of them are nice.

Others may chime in on this.

elizabuggy
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I purchased a fleece blanket and a heavier waterproof blanket. Fleece blanket for layering and after riding if needed. Going with a fleece girth. Fun shopping, but lots of $$. I will try things on and exchange if they don't fit, so we shall see!

kchfuller
Apr. 26, 2012, 02:57 AM
I know I am a little late but these are a few of my fav!!!

Girth- i have both and a fleece sleeve for the leather girth... options are the way to go :) You never know what your mare will like best :)

Blankets- i have like oh prob 12-15 and am always on the prowl for a good deal :) I love Big D Espree (http://www.smartpakequine.com/big-d-espree-turnout-sheet-6488p.aspx) cause it has lasted forever and fit awesome! I also have this Med Weight Big D blanket and LOVE it too (http://www.smartpakequine.com/big-d-sussex-medium-turnout-blanket-6487p.aspx?cm_vc=Search). Both are well wroth the money!! :D

Dewey
Apr. 26, 2012, 08:26 AM
hequestrian--I just bought the Lettia Clik girth you linked--I had wanted one for a long time. I love it. However, it runs small--just a warning.

STA
Apr. 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
Go to your local consignment shop. At mine, anyone in the area is welcome to try items for fit by both the rider and horse before purchasing. Also, you will save some dollars at any consignment shop over buying new.

I hope you have lots of fun with your new pal.