PDA

View Full Version : Insulation for trailer tack room?

kipster
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:40 PM
I have a 2 horse straight load GN trailer and I am trying to organize my 'living' space. Has anyone insulated their tack room? What material did you use? If you had photos to share that would be great too!

Fancy That
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
Mine already came insulated and with wood paneling on the walls and carpet on floors/gooseneck area.

BUT - my trainer literally glued on, thin large foam panels on her ceiling to insulate. She did it in the horse section too!

2DogsFarm
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:46 PM
My DR came carpeted including the floor of the "loft" area over the GN.
Just your standard plastic indoor/outdoor carpet material.

The walls are not insulated, but unless you are planning on camping in the dead of Winter or are unusually sensitive to cold, you s/b comfy.

I slept in my DR in late October when it got quite chilly at night and I was warm as toast.
I have a good mattress topped with a foam topper on top of the carpeting.
Over the mattress/topper an insulated sleeping bag under the flannel bedding, vellux blanket and another sleeping bag on top & I was Good to Go :yes:

sahqueen
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
The walls are not insulated, but unless you are planning on camping in the dead of Winter or are unusually sensitive to cold, you s/b comfy.

The problem in the summer in an uninsulated trailer is the condensation...everything ends up very damp and icky overnight.

I'm looking to insulate mine this spring, as it gets to be a pain to have to run the AC all the time to keep it dryer inside.

kipster
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:46 AM
[QUOTE=sahqueen;6210174]The problem in the summer in an uninsulated trailer is the condensation...everything ends up very damp and icky overnight.

That's exactly it! I can layer up to stay warm, but I don't want to be damp! My dressing room is carpeted I was just hoping there was an economical way to do this myself and still have it look nice!

2DogsFarm
Mar. 22, 2012, 06:58 AM
:confused: Damp?
Maybe the problem with steel trailers?
Mine is aluminum.

I admit I haven't slept all night in my DR in Summer, but I do open the trailer up to air it out & have napped in there on some hot & humid nights before closing it up again.
Windows & skylight open & stargazing, I just drift off - mattress is so comfy.....

With a battery-operated fan I think I'd be fine.

birdsong
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:42 AM
Home Depot has the 4x8 sheets of pink Styrofoam insulation with the shiny on one side. Cut these to fit between the "ribs"...put construction glue on one side and use the silver shiny wide tape on the outside. I think they actually use that tape for duct work.

You can then cover this if you prefer with something more attractive.

Yes, aluminum trailers will have condensation in cold weather. My own trailer is finished inside but my friend's is not. Not only does she get much colder but the ceiling will drip.