PDA

View Full Version : Should I save this look for schooling?

SkipInStyle
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
A new member to the board (as in I've been reading posts almost every day for the past couple years but don't really post :lol: ) So, here's my dilemma. If all goes well I will be showing in the hunter ring this season. So far so good.

I'm not even sure if I should use the word "look" in the title… But I have a mean obsession with brown field boots , and with this GPA (http://www.calevo.com/calevo/images/items/2100108apic1.jpg) With the "brown" coloured leather.

Is it too risky? If I were to find a brown field boot (http://www.horsecountrycarrot.com/images/upload/fullsize/waverly_field_boots_brown_re.jpg) that I liked and that was similar colour to the rim?

If it isn't too risky what should I do Jacket wise? I don't want to look tacky at all! :uhoh:

And please be honest , I truly won't be hurt at all. If anything I will be thankful for the extra money that I will have left in my wallet:lol: !

Thanks in advanced!
- Skip in Style

(P.s current outfit includes : black boots, Navy Jacket, Black Helmet)

Electrikk
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:11 PM
What level showing are you going to be doing? I've seen people wear black or brown helmets in the hunter ring, but I don't believe I've seen a combination. Personally, I love the look of brown field boots, and they're actually more traditional than black. I think the helmet would look really snappy, but I don't do big rated shows so I'm not always on top of what is "acceptable."

Your current show outfit sounds pretty much hunter perfect, but I definitely understand wanting to mix things up a bit :)

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:12 PM
The brown field boots are okay, as they're traditional. :)
However, I'm not a huge fan of the speed air's in the hunter ring, and I don't like the look of them with the different colored leather.. as Electrikk put it, black or brown look nice, but I think a "multi-colored" helmet would have to grow on me. I don't even like the charcoal on black charles owens. ;)
If you look at this (http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344323) thread, some people shared pictures/descriptions of what breeches and jackets they paid with brown boots.

SkipInStyle
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:00 PM
Thank you both for your opinions!

I figured that helmet might be a bit too much!

Also enjoyed looking over that thread again, I just found a lot of the boots were darker brown & if I do purchase a pair I'd like to go lighter. Do the same colour jackets look good no matter which colour the brown?

I may just keep my current outfit, I had thought about adding a navy hampton into the works (though the one I just purchased is too small!) , It is such a pretty helmet!

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:42 AM
Do the same colour jackets look good no matter which colour the brown?

I think a hunter green coat would look lovely with the color boots that you posted a picture of. :) A modest royal blue (not navy, but not super bright) would probably look good, too! A lot of the colors mentioned on that thread would probably look great with lighter brown boots.

findeight
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't switch the black you have for the brown, especially that lighter brown for the boots. Not if you are specifically going to show in the Hunters at a decent local show with an eye to moving up to the rateds.

It's a little busy, draws attention away from the horse and the trip. Plus, unless you are laying down 90s, you'll stand out for the wrong reasons.
If you must, please stick to the darker brown boot. The light ones are going to accentuate every little movement of your leg during a trip where highest score goes to the "invisible ride".

Sorry, that black helmet with the brown brim and harness is...bleech...for a pretty Hunter. Putting that chocolate brown brim on top of light brown boots...don't think so.

Fine to be an individual and there is no deduction for clothing...but, like I said, busy is not going to help your score as it will showcase every little movement, mistakes too.

Find a pretty shirt and one of the newer multi color plaid or pin striped jackets that match all sorts of colors with the money you'd spend on light brown boots and that helmet.

showponies
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:11 PM
My daughter has brown vogles, and a brown GPA.. she wears a little wheat color jacket, navy, lt and med greys.... And she rides a grey ISH gelding on in A shows. When she first got the boots nobody was wearing them in the show ring, a few remarks from others, (she was 13 or 14 at the time) Because i am from the old school, and she has learned that way she wanted a pair.. fast forward today, the smae young ladies that mentioned something are now wearing them... Go a head and wear what you want.

As for tradition, they would wear brown field boots in the hunt fields on hound walking and excersising days and then switch to dress black boots for the Sunday and holiday hunts.

Have fun the season showing!

lily pony
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:51 PM
I'm a sucker for brown boots and brown/brown Charles Owen GR8. I personally detest the GPA Speed Air in the hunter and equitation rings.
I'd look for a darker brown boot like these (http://www.dehner.com/pics/largephotos/brown_field_yorkshire.jpg). My friend picked up a pair of old brown dehners at a consignment sale, they're really dark brown but look lovely with rusts on her bay mare. :yes:
Personally, if you want to go all brown, I'd stay away from the ohranj field boots and consider the brown/brown CO GR8. My first thought when I saw the brown GPA was not exactly a good one and I believe it'd be too distracting, especially if paired with the really orange field boots.
For a jacket, I'd stick to navy. Steering away from the current show trends is fine, but I wouldn't push it with a green jacket unless it's REALLY subtle.
Also, what color is your horse?

SkipInStyle
Mar. 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks!

I really love the boots that you added the link to lilypony , I think you're right about going with that darker colour. I often have to remind myself that less is more (especially in the hunters!)

Currently don't have a horse so having an outfit that will look good on many horses is also something I should think about too.

Thinking I will stick with my navy show jacket, thank you so much for your help guys! (Feeling good about my decision to ask for advice before buying!:yes:)

- Skip in Style

JBCool
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
SkipinStyle, if you still want to play with the helmet look for schooling, you may consider the Ovation helmets. They have a black/brown combo that I kinda like and they're very inexpensive, so affording one just to school in is easy. I bought their schooler helmet last summer to save my CO AYR8 and love that thing!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ovation%3f-extreme-helmet/p/X1-36311/

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
Lami-cell also makes a black-and-brown schooling helmet.

http://www.horseloverz.com/Lami-Cell-Sport-Helmet-pr-458040.html

gottagrey
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:20 AM
If you want to do the brown boots, I'd do it old school - ditch the navy jacket (wear it for eq and formal hunter classes). I'd find a nice muted glen plaid or houndstooth jacket - similar to the ones for cubbing /fox hunting but more subtle.. beige breeches or if you dared rust breeches.

AlyssaSpellman
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:59 AM
If you want to do the brown boots, I'd do it old school - ditch the navy jacket (wear it for eq and formal hunter classes). I'd find a nice muted glen plaid or houndstooth jacket - similar to the ones for cubbing /fox hunting but more subtle.. beige breeches or if you dared rust breeches.

I second the rust.. I'm completely obsessed. ;)

JustMyStyle
Mar. 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
If you really want to match I would suggest looking at Derby Boots (http://www.everythingbutthehorsellc.com/Derby_Riding_Boots.php). That way you can get just the brown you want :)

I'd also second a grey houndstooth jacket

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
Very interesting boots, JustmyStyle. Obviously not for showing, but I LOVE those blue/gray boots! Awesome. If I won the lottery....