PDA

View Full Version : Have you colored your horses hair?!?

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:00 PM
Strange question... have you ever colored (or thought about coloring) your horses tail? I have a 3 yo Irish Sport Horse that was born as a dark brown/black with a brown colored tail. After he shed his baby fur, he has become a light dapple grey. So the top of his tail (new growth) and everything else is grey, black, or white- except the bottom of his tail (brown)!:mad: I hate for people to think that my horse has stained the bottom of his tail from poor horse husbandry (which is certainly not the case) so I have been thinking about coloring the bottom. My mother is a hair stylist (which may be why I am over-sensitive about it anyway) so I would not be going into this process completely blind/uneducated. And I would not be coloring anywhere near the tailbone.
Thoughts?? :confused:
TIA

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
BTW I would be coloring the tail black.

Thanks again!

SnapdragonStables
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
I've dyed bleached bays tails black towards the end of summer-all the time! I just use the cheap $8 hair dye, since I go black you have to make sure you don't get the one w/ a purple or blue tint that you can see in the sun. I wet the tail, put it in a plastic grocery bag and start pouring on the dye, then I hold the tail and bag for the time it takes to get black (10min) and then tear a small hole in the bottom of the bag, hold the hose in the top and start rinsing through the bag so that I can direct all the runoff away from the ankles (especially w/ bay horses that have hind socks!) Only once did I acidentally touch a pony butt w/ my glove and give him a little dab of black. Other than that...success every time!

Yours may be a bit tricky since you are matching a color-I would be careful that it doesn't look to 'perfect', maybe she can put some highlights in to get some contrasting colors!

Good luck!

FLeventer
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Done it on bleached horses with black tails. I hate the red tones that the sun brings. I wil have to try that bag method. I used a plastic sheet under their tail to keep the dye off but that seems easier.

Now I have a grey and I'm no longer dying black tails.

alto
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
I hate people for to think that my horse has stained the bottom of his tail from poor horse husbandry

:confused:
who is thinking that - not horse people, they know about greys; not non-horse people, they are looking at that cute horse with the multi colored tail & wishing more horses were that colorful ;)

Dye the tail if you want ...

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
Would you recommend using liquid color, color foam, or color gel (no drip formula)? Does it matter?

Dewey
Mar. 20, 2012, 08:36 PM
I've dyed a sun-bleached tail lots of times. I go to K-Mart and buy the cheapest black dye available and follow the directions. Just be sure the horse does not swish his tail over his haunches before the tail is completely dry, or you will get a black streak. You should stand by with a damp rag to wipe quickly in case that happens.

It always looks great and lasts quite a while.

SkipChange
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
I have dyed my horses tail a number of times. However, I would seriously hesitate before dying a grey horse's tail black. I had a friend who had a grey with a brown bottomed tail and she dyed it and it was quite obvious and looked odd as it grew out.

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
I am a hair stylists and all the girls at work think i should highlight my horses hair...i would personally use a cream proffessional product...because the cheap ones will do more damage to your horses actual hair strands...its course anyways if you keep coloring it the tail will get all nasty...and if you use a professional product then it eill be better for the tail and it wont wash out as fast...if your mom can get you stuff from a pro only store...its really not that much... and i dont mean get stuff from salleys :)

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:52 PM
And if u color it black.... make sure thats what you want....cause your not getting it out

TrakHack
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
I am a hair stylists and all the girls at work think i should highlight my horses hair...i would personally use a cream proffessional product...because the cheap ones will do more damage to your horses actual hair strands...its course anyways if you keep coloring it the tail will get all nasty...and if you use a professional product then it eill be better for the tail and it wont wash out as fast...if your mom can get you stuff from a pro only store...its really not that much... and i dont mean get stuff from salleys :)

I dyed my gelding's tail black a couple times to get rid of the red tones, but after asking my hair stylist more about box dyes, how they work, and how they are different than professional dyes I've decided if I do it again I'll use professional products.

This Weird Quirk
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
I think we need to see a photo of this tail.

The miniature horse people color their horse's manes and tails all the time.

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:10 PM
I dyed my gelding's tail black a couple times to get rid of the red tones, but after asking my hair stylist more about box dyes, how they work, and how they are different than professional dyes I've decided if I do it again I'll use professional products.
This makes me happy!!!

Electrikk
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:16 PM
As long as you aren't just totally winging it with no idea of what you're doing, it should turn out fine.

I'm not going to lie, when I read the title for this thread I thought it was going to be something about someone wanting to add "fun pink streaks to my pwetty horsie's tail!!!" :lol:
glad that's not the case

englishcowgirl
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
My grandmother (a hairdresser and non-horsey) was dying her father's parade horses tail and mane black back in the 1950's! Horse was a grey that most would call a "white" horse and it was thought he looked most dapper with dark mane and tail on the white background :lol: No it is not weird, pretty sure people do it all the time!

NOMIOMI1
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:48 PM
Be prepared to do it and redo it on a grey... It is a lot of upkeep!

Otherwise it fades to an even dirtier color and stays forever!

kmwines01
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:50 PM
How much of it is brown? And if his mane isnt completely black and his tail isn't completely black then he might look funny with a completely jet black tail. On bays I get it because they normally have all black tails. But I think solid black on a grey may look odd. Why don't you just let it grow out enough and then cut off the brown part? Are you doing this for a show or for people at the barn? Seems like a hassle for just people at the barn and not a show. JMHO

PonyPenny
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:03 PM
I have not only dyed my horses tail, I have dyed the entire horse when he got really sun bleached.

Tapperjockey
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
And do you intend to color his tail for his whole life? because dying it black.. as he ages, it will grow out, and he'll look terrible, unless you plan to keep coloring it pretty frequently..

Across Sicily
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:55 PM
I've done quite a few dye jobs for sunbleached tails and the results are just wonderful! Definitely make sure you get the "natural" black though... no good having a tail with blue or purple tints.

LovesHorses
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
My braider told me the same thing. Use natural black or black/brown.

RedRogue
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:43 AM
And do you intend to color his tail for his whole life? because dying it black.. as he ages, it will grow out, and he'll look terrible, unless you plan to keep coloring it pretty frequently..

This.

If you insist on dying it, why not dye the bottom grey to match the top and then it will be a one time ordeal.

I also agree with Alto!

Long Spot
Mar. 21, 2012, 02:23 AM
I'll be an odd man out and suggest you embrace being different and let folks talk about you and keep it au natural.

Not that I am morally opposed to it, but it seems to me on a horse with a black tail, that tail is going to stay black. On a gray horse, it's going to take less time to lighten on it's own than it will for you to get rid of all the traces of black die.

I'd rather be talked about for an interesting looking clean natural tail than a half grown out die job.

fourmares
Mar. 21, 2012, 02:26 AM
It is against the rules to dye your horse to alter his natural coloring. Making a bleached out black tail black again is probably o.k., but changing your horses tail color is not. It sounds like as the tail grows out you'll be able to trim the brown off. It might take a while, but...

Tapperjockey
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:27 AM
It is against the rules to dye your horse to alter his natural coloring. Making a bleached out black tail black again is probably o.k., but changing your horses tail color is not. It sounds like as the tail grows out you'll be able to trim the brown off. It might take a while, but...

Another good point..

Dewey
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
I have not only dyed my horses tail, I have dyed the entire horse when he got really sun bleached.

How much dye does that take? And does it look natural when you are finished? My mare got really sun-bleached last summer, but I never thought of doing this. I am intrigued.

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 21, 2012, 07:12 AM
I'm not going to lie, when I read the title for this thread I thought it was going to be something about someone wanting to add "fun pink streaks to my pwetty horsie's tail!!!" :lol:
glad that's not the case

HAHA! That made me laugh! :D

I do understand that there would be a unevenness between the top and bottom so I would have to essentially do additional black highlights up higher on the tail as well.

As far as the grey hair color- I haven't been able to find anything to fit that description (most people want to cover their gray, not really embrace it ;)). I would have to assume that it would need to be a bleach for it to work since my horses tail is darker than grey currently. If there is any concern with damage, I would have to assume bleach would not be a great option.

Illegal?!? Really? Well I am certainly glad that I asked about it then. That is really something. I would be coloring for show purposes, but now that I know that, it seems like a moot point. Thanks for letting me know!

AllOverFarm
Mar. 21, 2012, 07:37 AM
A boarder just dyed her ENTIRE horse last week. She rides western and does open shows. The horse is Black, and stays in 23 hours a day. I had been turning it out in the round pen in the morning to eat it's breakfast hay while I cleaned the stall. Apparently, that was enough for it to get " bleached".....although I didn't notice it. I'm not sure what they used, but it was about 12-14 boxes according to the Mom.

PonyPenny
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:41 AM
It took me 12 boxes. I mixed it up in a large bucket and sponged it on. I let it sit per the box directions. I then rinsed very well and used a splash of vinegar in a bucket to set the color and bring out the shine. Horse turned out great. His normal color was a very dark bay and I used very dark brown as the hair color. Horse had no white on him, so I did not have to worry about markings. A friend who had a horse with white socks, wrapped each sock in plastic wrap and then vet wrap to keep the white area white. She left the socks hairy so she could clip them in case some of the dye leaked.

The way I looked at it is I was not changing his natural color, I was bringing his natural color back. Even with a fly sheet he would bleach to a dun color in some places. Not very attractive.

Nlevie
Mar. 21, 2012, 11:51 AM
Ok - now we need to see before & after pictures ?

Wordplay1832
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
My horse's tail is grey at the top and white at the bottom, or it should be white. Most of it is very white and clean but there are yellow streaks in it. I keep it braided in the winter so that she doesn't pee on it with her blanket on when I can't wash it as much, but she probably gets it washed twice a week when it is nice, more if we are headed to a show. I have tried a bunch of different stuff but am not going to put household bleach or anything on it-it is not critical enough to me that it is perfect for me to put that stuff on my horse.

I did try a temporary whitening dye before one show but it didn't make a noticeable difference. Has anyone tried using hair dye for that? I'd just want to do the bottom of her tail.

Also-has anyone tried putting baby powder in a white tail? I know that it works on white socks, and I wouldn't really be worried about her swishing her tail and getting it on her body because she is very light grey, moving towards flea bitten other than her legs which are still nice and dappled.

To answer the original post, I have seen people with bay horses dye the tails back to black when they are sun bleached too and it looked great! Not sure exactly what they used, but I think something like that is fine. But I would not dye a growing out grey tail because you're just going to have to keep up with it, or if it turns out to look horrible you are stuck trying to grow it out for a few years or re-dye it another color. I say leave him how he is! That's how greying out horses do things, and sooner than you think it'll be all the color it is intended to be!

Dewey
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
Wow, PonyPenny, I may try that. I have a dark bay mare who looked light brown last summer. Thanks!

DiamondJubilee
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:47 PM
I used to dye all of my ponies tails black (all are bays) as they do bleach in the sun and I do a lot of breed shows. I have used store bought dyes and just used a garbage back cut half way open and the end of the tail tucked into one of the corners. I have since then found a black spray that is used for cattle. It works great! It comes in many colours and is in a spray can. It just washes out with soap so if you don't like it you can wash it out. Its also great to brighten white socks!

fatappy
Mar. 21, 2012, 02:42 PM
I just did this on my mare. I used a semi permanent dye in case it didn't look good. I am pleased with how it came out. If you need to dye your tail and soften the dye afterwards, you can wash it immediately after dying it with a cheap shampoo and that will strip a lot of the color out.

Oh, and it helps to tape a garbage bag to your horse's butt to prevent any dye streaks. It's also a good desensitizing exercise.

Crown Royal
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:46 PM
I would never ever ever dye a gray horse's tail. The breeding/eventing farm where I worked did that to their 2 year old's tail before a FEH show and it made it look worse. She probably looks similar to yours too- shed out from a brownish-gray into a dappled/rose gray with a mostly white/silvery mane and a white/silver/slightly black tail. They dyed it black on the bottom and it was obvious and looked like crap.

I would only do it on a black/bay horse with a black tail to begin with that had been sun bleached.

Crown Royal
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:54 PM
How old is the horse and what are you showing in? If you are that concerned with the natural brown, can you just bang the tail to above the brown?

And to reiterate what others have said, I think it is illegal to alter the horse's natural coloring (with sprays, dyes, or otherwise).

Anselcat
Mar. 21, 2012, 05:10 PM
Where would you buy the "professional" products? Do you have to be a licensed cosmetologist to get them?

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
He is a 3 yo. I would be showing in the young hunter division (probably next year). Right now we are only working on the flat so it would either be in the young hunter division or schooling hunters (just the u/s) this year. I showed him in hand, as a yearling, and did not "tamper" with his tail.

I probably can't bang his tail right above the brown- it would be really short and probably more distracting than the mismatched color.

I certainly don't feel it is worth doing it, in light of the fact that it is illegal.

That Grey Mare
Mar. 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
I also have a grey Irish Sport Horse babe with the same problem! She's coming 4! I've decided to leave her tail au natural and just keep it as clean as possible.

However, my old guy is a bay that famously bleaches every year. I have dyed his tail black many times with the garbage bag method! Beautiful every time!

It would look funky if I did anything like that to my little (big) girls tail.

Do you mind me asking who your's sire's is? I always love finding other Irish's! Mine's a work in progress hunter. A loooong work in progress.

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:58 PM
That Grey Mare- his sire is Touch of the Blues. I would love to hear about your mare :) I am going to send a PM.

kmwines01
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
Well after watching fashion police, Kelly osbourne has found a way to dye her hair grey. So it can be done :)

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 21, 2012, 07:06 PM
Well after watching fashion police, Kelly osbourne has found a way to dye her hair grey. So it can be done :)

THIS! HAHA I didn't even think about that :lol: I guess I need to do more online digging!

Equibrit
Mar. 21, 2012, 07:12 PM
Strange question... have you ever colored (or thought about coloring) your horses tail? I have a 3 yo Irish Sport Horse that was born as a dark brown/black with a brown colored tail. After he shed his baby fur, he has become a light dapple grey. So the top of his tail (new growth) and everything else is grey, black, or white- except the bottom of his tail (brown)!:mad: I hate for people to think that my horse has stained the bottom of his tail from poor horse husbandry (which is certainly not the case) so I have been thinking about coloring the bottom. My mother is a hair stylist (which may be why I am over-sensitive about it anyway) so I would not be going into this process completely blind/uneducated. And I would not be coloring anywhere near the tailbone.
Thoughts?? :confused:
TIA

I've heard it all !

Mar. 22, 2012, 08:49 AM
I've got the same issue, chestnut/brown baby that grew up gray. Also Irish.

There are a few photos on my website, http://www.kcgsporthorses.com/condition-one.html, you can see his tail in most of them. I have tried multiple washings with quicsilver and cowboy magic's yellow remover, and tried the recommendation on the back of the cowboy magic bottle - to soak the tail in a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water before washing. Nothing is working, so I've come to accept that it is the chestnut and will eventually grow out. I did recently trim about 2" off the bottom in a futile attempt to accelerate the process.

Frustrating, but the tail is shiny and clean, just growing out.

Jumperprincess
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
I once had a boarder who thought her bay horse should have henna highlights in his tail.She was a hair-dresser and was sure this would work. That poor gelding had a Ronald McDonald colored tail for 6 months.She was the laughing stock of the circuit. DON'T DO IT

GracesMom
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:05 AM
This thread is interesting. My beautiful dark bay mare's black mane got sun bleached last summer in spite of diligent applications of a sun screen spray. I would really love to dye the red out but am not sure of the best way to go about it without accidently dying her neck as well. I've thought of taping a split open garbage bag to her neck under the mane. Has anyone else tried this?

Also, where do you get professional quality dyes retail? Do you have to know somebody who is a licensed cosmotologist to get them? Someone here said "not the stuff from Sallys". Why not? I thought they sold professional quality products to the public.

My princess's mane is quite long and really pretty so I don't want to screw it up and really damage the hair.

Thanks!

eclipse
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:11 AM
Like another poster earlier, I also thought you cannot alter the colour of your horse? Also, I really don't see what the big deal is over a sunbleached coat. I'd rather have a sunbleached HAPPY horse that can put in a darn good round. I've never been penalized for my horse being sunbleached but I wouldn't want to chance breaking rules for dying my horse! I guess I just don't understand the fuss. :D

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:27 AM
This thread is interesting. My beautiful dark bay mare's black mane got sun bleached last summer in spite of diligent applications of a sun screen spray. I would really love to dye the red out but am not sure of the best way to go about it without accidently dying her neck as well. I've thought of taping a split open garbage bag to her neck under the mane. Has anyone else tried this?

No, but someone at my barn dyed her horse's forelock. She taped a piece of a shopping bag to his halter so it lay under his forelock and protected his face before she dyed it. It wouldn't be as easy dying the mane, but you could probably tape a piece of paper or plastic to her halter at one end and maybe a surcingle or something around her middle at the other.

oliverreed
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:29 AM
This thread is intriguing. I have a (currently) dapple gray Paso Fino - breed standards require that you do NOT ever cut the mane. I think he'd look even better than he does if I did a little black in his mane - not the whole thing, more like highlights. The mane is turning silver on the outside but is still dark gray underneath.

Is this a stupid idea? It probably is because I'd have to keep doing it, could not ever cut the mane if I'm going to continue to show. And I wouldn't want to cut it either, he has a gorgeous long mane.

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
I really don't see what the big deal is over a sunbleached coat. I'd rather have a sunbleached HAPPY horse that can put in a darn good round. I've never been penalized for my horse being sunbleached but I wouldn't want to chance breaking rules for dying my horse! I guess I just don't understand the fuss. :D

I have learned to stay out of threads when I "just don't understand the fuss" about something. All you do by making comments like the above is antagonize people.

Personally, I want my beautiful dark bay mare to look as good as she can look when I show her. I doubt that dying her tail or coat to her natural color is even bending the rules--I wouldn't worry about that at all. I also wouldn't expect to be penalized for her sunbleached coat or tail, but it isn't attractive, and it bothers me. If a sunbleached coat does not bother you, then more power to you.

eclipse
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:40 AM
I have learned to stay out of threads when I "just don't understand the fuss" about something. All you do by making comments like the above is antagonize people.

Personally, I want my beautiful dark bay mare to look as good as she can look when I show her. I doubt that dying her tail or coat to her natural color is even bending the rules--I wouldn't worry about that at all. I also wouldn't expect to be penalized for her sunbleached coat or tail, but it isn't attractive, and it bothers me. If a sunbleached coat does not bother you, then more power to you.

Well bless your heart! She asked for opinions and that was MY opinion. Only person that's got bent out of shape is you :winkgrin: And, again, altering the colour of your horse is against the rules!

Jumper_girl221
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
I know someone that had a chestnut that grayed out, but still has the red tail at the bottom. She bleaches it to get it completely white.

Hmmm...I'll admit I debated dye for this mare, I got her off the track as a gorgeous dark bay (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/34143_527617110415_149402250_30719281_2724196_n.jp g)

and then in less then a month I had a grulla (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/40095_528999854385_149402250_30744852_3110891_n.jp g)

So next year, after she shed back out to her normal gorgeous color (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/225049_551680786615_149402250_30921355_4362608_n.j pg)

I invested in the Amigo fly sheet and neck cover, that had UV protection, in addition to daily applications of sun screen...which gave me this...not quite a grulla, but certainly not my dark bay! (http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/262051_559096635195_149402250_30956228_8006341_n.j pg)

Sigh. I don't think young TB being stalled all the time would be the smartest thing...guess I should either dye her...or resign myself to the "what type of horse is that" me: TB. "Oh, I didn't know you could get a grulla TB!"

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:57 AM
Well bless your heart! She asked for opinions and that was MY opinion. Only person that's got bent out of shape is you :winkgrin: And, again, altering the colour of your horse is against the rules!

If it is against the rules, I won't do it. My understanding is that altering the horse's natural coat color or markings was against the rules. That's not the same thing as dying a sun-bleached tail or coat. I can't find the actual rule; maybe you can. I would appreciate it.

I don't want to get into an argument with you about the tone of your original post. It DID bend me out of shape; I won't deny it. But I still think I was justified. I will let others comment if they wish to.

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:00 AM
Jumper girl, your pictures reflect exactly what happened to my mare over the course of the past year! I am actually going to try a supplement this year from Smartpak called "SmartDark and Handsome." Will let you know if it makes a difference.

eclipse
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:11 AM
Found the below rule, so apparantly you can alter a tail. Now if you get an "exact" match and it doesn't run out of the entire body then I'm sure you'll be ok. On the other hand, if you cannot match the coat colour exactly then I'd be wary as they "could" state you've altered the coat colour. It does also state that only clear materials are allowed on the hair and hide.

GR802 Artificia l Markings and Appliances
1. Any change of color or markings other than mane, tail or hoof is prohibited. (Exception: Arabian
and Half/Anglo Arabian halter, see AR107.6; Reining Division; Friesian Division, Paso Fino, see PF101.5-.6). Only clear grooming materials are allowed on the hide and hair. Materials may be used to remove stains

oliverreed
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
Well, that answers MY question. Thanks!

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks, eclipse. I won't risk dying the coat, then. I will just stick with the tail.

Fastjofast
Mar. 22, 2012, 01:53 PM
I did the opposite of everyone here. I bleached my horse's tail.

This was a few years back when I was riding a palomino. She had a lovely white/creme mane and tail. However, the roots of her tail at the dock was a dark brown colour. Her tail looked dirty and greasy, like I never washed it, especially when it was braided.

It took me 3 boxes of Blondissima at the brightest level to lighten up her roots. It never really went as blonde as the rest of her tail, but it lightened it up significantly that it matched and didn't look dirty!

JumpingAddict93
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:10 PM
Im thinking about highlighting my chestnuts mane ;)

GoGrnRideIrish
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:26 PM
Since someone mentioned it... is Smart Dark and Handsome by SmartPak legal to show on? I was under the impression that paprika, although helps darken the coat significantly, is illegal. Am I wrong? Not that I need it for my horse, just more out of curiosity.

Dewey
Mar. 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Since someone mentioned it... is Smart Dark and Handsome by SmartPak legal to show on? I was under the impression that paprika, although helps darken the coat significantly, is illegal. Am I wrong? Not that I need it for my horse, just more out of curiosity.

Oh, no! I never thought of that. I think there is paprika in it. I don't know if I can use it or not. Anyone know? Does paprika act as a stimulant or something?

batman the horse
Mar. 23, 2012, 07:48 AM
I have been dying my bay's mane, tail and legs black for shows for years. It takes two packages of the cheap Revlon "soft black" (you do NOT want blue black!) to get mane/tail/legs done. I put a plastic shopping bag around the tail once the dye is in, and Vaseline on the bum on both sides of the tail. A little Vaseline under the mane to prevent giving your horse a black neck, rinse it out, condition it, and viola! Make sure to do a test on a small area before doing the entire horse, just to be sure. :)

As far as Smart Dark & Handsome (or just plain paprika) goes, I have heard the rule of thumb is to take the horse off of it 1 week before the show to avoid it testing.

Celeritas
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:31 AM
Oh, no! I never thought of that. I think there is paprika in it. I don't know if I can use it or not. Anyone know? Does paprika act as a stimulant or something?

Paprika can show up as capsaicin in a drug test, it's part of that chili family. Not sure about the weaning-off period.