PDA

View Full Version : Hauler recommendations

juniormom
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:43 PM
We are looking for someone to haul a horse from Texas to NC. What are your recommendations - both good and/or bad? Thank you so much!

red2004
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
Equine Express, Aubrey/Pilot Point, TX

crosscreeksh
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:46 PM
ABSOLUTELY Equine Express!! Tom Rountree o/o Ft. Worth is another shipper I contacted (254-396-3633), but his schedule is a little more variable due to filling loads. EE brought our new stallion from Pa to NE Ok. in the best of fashion. Quickly scheduled the haul and was right on schedule with excellent communication the whole way. Maybe a bit more expensive than the others, but very much worth it. Horses ONLY have 1.5 or box stalls. Hay and water the whole way. Do not consider National Equine Transportation!! They still have my deposit $$$ since December and I have never heard from them since!!!

baker blanket
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
I echo the sentiments for Equine Express. I had two pregnant embryo recipient mares hauled from OK to southeastern VA last fall. They were upgraded to box stalls (no charge) because they had the room... and arrived looking great. You would have never known they'd just been on a long haul. The drivers were great, very sweet to the mares, and kept in great contact (almost over the top) during the trip. I would not hesitate to use them again. I felt the price was really reasonable compared to other quotes I had been given.

HunterMolly
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:50 PM
Another vote for Equine Express!

dani0303
Mar. 21, 2012, 12:08 AM
I wanted to use EE to transport my horse (this week!!) from SC to CO. Everything was planned for pickup on the 21 and delivery on the 24. However, they called me 36 hours before planned pickup time and told me they had to delay the pickup until April 6!! I was able to get Nationwide to pick him up tomorrow and he will still be here by this weekend.

Because of this, I recommend Nationwide :)

juniormom
Mar. 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Were these all for Equine Express out of Pilot Point, Tx? Have any of you used Cox Equine Transport? If you don't want to post info on this forum, please pm me. I know anyone can post anything under "reviews" for these shippers. Thank you so much!

sahqueen
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:03 AM
Highly recommend Cox...great communication along the way, dropped horse off within half an hour of the delivery time they gave us 24 hours prior. It was a trip from TX to NY in the middle of January and they kept horse comfortable with the temperature difference with adjusting blankets, etc.

findeight
Mar. 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Ask if the company owns/operates their own rigs or uses contracted owner operators under their banner (their name on the rig) and bound to their standards exclusively. Or subs the runs out.

I keep telling the tale of the guy who showed up to haul a pricey Eq type WB Ohio to out west someplace. Promised an air ride big rig, guy shows up in an older gooseneck, no company name on it. Some ratty looking young horse for his wife and a buffalo calf in the front (kid you not). Air ride rig was for Interstate only, he says...we being 2 miles on a real good paved 2 lane from said interstate. But the horse had to go right then to a leassor and it did arrive 4 days later in good shape. But in a 2 horse with no company name.

On the way back 8 months later, horse spent over 10 days enroute and spent a week at a dairy farm in Iowa or Nebraska. A week where the dispatcher really did not know where the horse was, just enroute with a sub contracted driver and rig.

That was EE. They were and are nice and caring but....too many subs on those runs. probably why the poster above got pick up jacked back almost 3 weeks at the last minute. It does make sense to see if they have anything if you are originating in Texas...but ask if it will be via company rig or a sub...and get that in writing.

I prefer Brookledge and Sallee-they will probably quote you more but...those are nice rigs with full time professional horse haulers at the wheel. Just going to depend on their schedual and getting it to NC.

BAC
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:24 AM
That was EE. They were and are nice and caring but....too many subs on those runs. probably why the poster above got pick up jacked back almost 3 weeks at the last minute. It does make sense to see if they have anything if you are originating in Texas...but ask if it will be via company rig or a sub...and get that in writing.

I prefer Brookledge and Sallee-they will probably quote you more but...those are nice rigs with full time professional horse haulers at the wheel. Just going to depend on their schedual and getting it to NC.

I think the sub-contracting issue was the reason Lucassb chose Brookledge over EE, even though it was a little more expensive.

Romahorse
Mar. 22, 2012, 11:29 AM
Professional, punctual, happy horse!

Prime Time Rider
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
I've had very positive experiences with Equine Express. If you are concerned about possible subcontracting, you might ask them upfront about it.

Jo
Mar. 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
I've had excellent luck with Equine Express - both for in-state hauls and cross-country. Most recently, they relocated a mare from PA to TX for me and were great with communicating throughout the trip with updates of how she was doing and where they were in their route. Mare arrived in great shape, on time, with no issues.

levremontf
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:21 PM
Can't say enough good about them. Horse shipped from Va to Ca and got there looking and feeling great. Shipped in a nice box stall (ppl had paid for a 1/2) and people were great at communicating.

Angelico
Mar. 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cox wizbanghorse.com

allanglos
Mar. 23, 2012, 03:02 AM
Brookledge
Sallee
Creech

runNjump86
Mar. 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
http://competitionequinetransport.com/

LOVE this guy. Very reasonable rates, great communication. He hauled my horse from IL to CA. I know he goes all over and routinely takes horses to NY and the east coast. He had a trailer of racehorses going to Wisconsin and Indiana when he picked my guy up on the way back.

He had no problem and didn't charge extra for giving supplements that I provided, and was able to fit three bales of hay on for me plus a tack box.

juniormom
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:49 PM
Thank you so much for all of your comments! Please keep them coming! I had not thought about asking about subs doing the runs. That is definitely something I will ask about because that would not be a good thing. We were told that if using EE, she would go from Austin to Dallas on a Monday and then leave there Tueaday am and be in NC, sometime on Wednesday. I specifically asked about the SC to CO issue and was told they don't have loads going to CO as often as to the East Coast. Not sure about that....... I would think there would be a lot of "movement" across the country at the moment due to a lot of the winter circuits ending about now. Brookledge is more expensive, particularly originating in Texas. They would overnight her one night in Lexington, Ky. That would be a good "half-way" point. We have used them before and been very happy with them. I had forgotten about Sallee and Creech. We used a local hauler that we love when they went out to Tx, but he doesn't have anything going that way at the moment. Last time, he had to go out to pick up something and just happened to be going out empty. Of course, fuel has gone up and as we all know - things change minute to minute......... :)

juniormom
Mar. 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
Do any of you know what precautions these haulers take in being sure that a virus or something else isn't transferred from one horse to the next in these stalls? Obviously you have to have a coggins and health papers, but didn't know what else they do to ensure safety for all. Just a thought...........

Fergs
Mar. 23, 2012, 11:27 PM
Your time table with EE sounds a lot better than what I was quoted from VA to CO...they were going to take 2-3 days to get to TX, spend 2-3 days there, and then another 2-3 days to CO. That was waaaaay too much time on the trailer and in a holding pen for me.

A friend told me she knows several horses who have contracted shipping fever while transporting with Nationwide. It's not a communicable disease, but I think they are substantially cheaper because they take longer driving around picking up horses for a full load. They also require a deposit, which made me nervous.

I decided on Brook Ledge (Sallee told me they don't go west of the Mississippi), which is insanely expensive. My mare is set to ship in two weeks; I can let you know how it goes! It's a pretty agonizing and stressful process, but I'm hoping that by paying a little extra for a company with a really great reputation will mean my horse isn't as stressed by the shipment as I am.

FAW
Mar. 24, 2012, 01:24 PM
For an outfit that claims to not go west of the Mississippi, why would you plaster everything at Thermal with your name?

Fergs
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:23 PM
Not sure; I was very surprised when they told me they didn't ship that far west.

Simkie
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:48 PM
Just used Equine Express to haul a filly from Texas to Colorado, and the experience was nothing but positive. They picked her up on a Sunday night, overnighted her at their place, pulled out late Monday afternoon, and I had her 1 pm Tuesday. She was located out east of DFW near Tyler. Drivers were professional, horse walked off the trailer like nothing had happened.

I have also used Nationwide in the past and have been pleased with their service as well.

I've called Brookledge several times for quotes, but their pricing has always been significantly more, and they've never been able to give me timeline--it's always been "when we get a load going that way, we'll ship." Perhaps it's different for their regular trips.

Fergs
Mar. 24, 2012, 11:59 PM
I think what I've learned from my whole shipping experience is that it depends greatly where the horse originates...EE's hub is in TX, so the closer you are to there, the better. I just wasn't comfortable with their time frame from VA. Nationwide's hub is in CO, so horses from the east coast will be on the trailer until they get there.

If my horse had been closer to one of the hubs of the less-expensive shippers, I would have picked them, but I just don't want my horse on the rig for days on end.

juniormom
Mar. 25, 2012, 10:21 PM
I don't want our horse on the trailer for days and days either. Brookledge is good - no doubt! We have used them before and been very happy. Their quote was a lot more than EE. Their timeline was somewhat more "iffy." We are originating in Tx and going to have to go in a week to 10 days............. EE told me to call them tomorrow and they could give me more info about their timetable for next week. I haven't called Sallee, nor Creech, to get quotes yet. I plan to do that tomorrow. Not that I care to be stressed, but I hope that our horse isn't nearly as stressed about this as I am................ Thank you to everyone for your help. Please keep the comments coming and I will let you know what we find out, who we use, and how it goes............ :)

dani0303
Mar. 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
My horse just arrived from SC via Nationwide today. He was in a box (8'x9') but looked like he'd been on the trailer for 4 hours instead of 4 days. I'm very pleased with their service

juniormom
Apr. 5, 2012, 01:21 AM
Our horse arrived this afternoon from Austin, Tx to Bahama, NC. Our shipment with Equine Express from Pilot Point, Tx went very well in spite of the tornadoes and awful rain! Geno and Jeff stayed in contact with us and we were able to check with them at any time we wished to do so. They were pleasant and we have a happy, healthy horse! She doesn't look like she had been on a trailer from Tx to NC! She is 21 and was in a box stall. She went one day early from Austin to Pilot Point, (overnighting at their facility) and then left on Tuesday, arriving in NC on Wednesday. They had to sit and wait out the storms at a couple of points so they would remain safe! True professional horsemen that kept us updated on how much our horse was drinking, etc. Great guys and wonderful experience. We would definitely recommend using them! :)

dropitlikeitshot
Apr. 5, 2012, 07:47 AM
I have used EE to ship my horses 2400 miles, and they walked off the trailer looking happy and healthy. I was very pleased! I did feel bad though that the driver who had picked them up ended up having to run the second leg of the drive as well due to illness in the other driver, but it was nice to see him on the back end of the trip.

ljcfoh
Apr. 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
Were these all for Equine Express out of Pilot Point, Tx? Have any of you used Cox Equine Transport? If you don't want to post info on this forum, please pm me. I know anyone can post anything under "reviews" for these shippers. Thank you so much!

Both Cox and Equine Express do a good job and are reliable and trust worthy. IMO

Triplicate
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:53 AM
D. J. Johnson is the very best. Horsemen driving and co-driving in the truck, immaculate equipment, quality hay, any size stalls you want, phone calls to you along the way, horses arrive in very good shape, they call to advise you of arrival time. The drivers take great pride in their jobs and always arrive neatly dressed. They are carefull when they load the horses and equipment. We think they do the best of all.

findeight
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:08 PM
Not sure; I was very surprised when they told me they didn't ship that far west.

Probably not for singles, Sallee doesn't do the go get them routine anyway. You want to buy/charter the whole 10 horse trailer point to point, they might. They have big operations on both coasts and hauled alot of the bigger loads to and from Thermal. They fly them alot too, it is not as expensive as you think but you have to get it to the airport and somebody has to pick it up on the other end.

Maybe just under twice the cost of 2 to 4 days and a stopover is worth 12 hours door to door? It was for at least one elderly show Pony who hitched a ride with some pricey Keeneland purchases from Lexington to...oh...I think it was Ontario Cal. 2 hours on the private trailer to Lex. 5 hours on the plane, 1 hour on the new trainer's trailer to new home. Amazing.

Love Johnson Bros but they don't operate off the east coast north south runs much.

Glad to hear OPs horse arrived in the promised time frame and in good shape.

LDavis104
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:17 PM
I used Cox Equine Transportation for my horse (TX to CT trip) and was very pleased. It was $1050 four years ago.

rach8811
Apr. 6, 2013, 06:50 PM
I will never use Nationwide and hope to inform others of my experience so they can avoid them as well.

After reading many of their reviews here and on forums on chronicle of the horse (http://www.chronofhorse.… ) I am thankful I decided not to use them before my horse ever got close to these people. The majority of my problem was simple unprofessionalism.

Originally Matt was very helpful and informative. He gave me a quote and told me to call back the next day to speak with Brenda since my route (north Texas to the east coast of Virginia) would be difficult. I tried calling for two days to speak with her before I finally reached her on the third day (she apparently leaves quite early most days).
We agreed on a price and dates for shipping and she said she would send a contract. I filled it out and sent it by email early on Wednesday. I never received any confirmation or contact about having received my contract. So Thursday morning I called. I was told they were working on the route and would know the details of when they would arrive in Texas, by the end of the day. They never called again that day. Keep in mind I had been told they would be arriving at the begging of the next week (three days away). She did tell me they were busy and asked if they could come one day later. I agreed. Friday I called and again was told they were working on it and would know by the end of the day. I called at two o'clock Colorado time and was told Brenda had left and no one had any idea when my horse would be picked up. I politely explained that I felt this was unacceptable and I needed to know details that day. Since many people were working their schedules around this shipment. I was told no one could reach her and to call the next day and she might be in. I called The next day and was told Brenda was not in and still no one knew anything about my trip.

Finally Brenda called me around one o'clock on Sat. to tell me they would arrive in Texas on Thursday. This was three days later than we had originally agreed. I tried to talk to her about my frustrations, since they had changed the date three times now and many schedules had been rearranged- she began to yell at me. She said I had yelled at her employees and needed to voice my dissatisfaction with her only- I mentioned that I had not been able to ever reach her since she never returns calls or is at the HQs. By the way I never yelled, only called each day asking for her or details about my trip. She interrupted me and again began to yell about trying to conduct a business. I said that we probably needed to talk at another time when everyone could remain professional. She again spoke over me and told me we needed to speak like two adults. I agreed and again stated I would not discuss the matter unless everyone could be professional. She again interrupted and told me she didn't have to ship my horse and hung up on me.

My friend who lives in Texas and was planning to be there to put my horse on the trailer, was treated in a similar way. She is a doctor and had to rearrange her schedule three times, consequently canceling patients on two different days. She called Brenda to explain her frustration. Brenda spoke over her and yelled her name over and over as she tried to discuss. She asked her to stop and let her have a turn to speak, Brenda then hung up on her.

Consequently I will obviously not use this company after being treated that way. I encourage anyone to beware of how they conduct their business before making the choice to work with them.

equisusan
Apr. 6, 2013, 09:36 PM
Equine Express 100%. I used them many times back and forth from NC and VA to Houston. Fabulous.