PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a name...another one of "those" posts :)

elizabuggy
Mar. 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
I am getting my new mare on Saturday and still struggling with a name! Her current registered name and name they use is Serenity. I am not in love with it. I have decided to call her "Savvy" for a barn name, but need a show name. Something catchy, different, maybe even a little goofy is good! I would like to use "Savvy" in the name. I thought of:

show biz savvy (my hubby isn't into it)
savvy affair (hubby likes this one)
not savvy related: short skirt long jacket (this is a Cake song)

Other thoughts? Here is a pic of her (not me riding her):
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/katephillips77/saavy1.jpg

So excited!! Thanks!!

Rye
Mar. 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Savoir faire--French noun phrase that means being adaptable and adroit, knowing what to do in any situation. The ability to say or do the right or graceful thing.

RMR-AK
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
serenity now- seinfeld reference

LoveJubal
Mar. 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
I like Savoir faire! :yes:

Here's another French one... Sauvignon (as in... Blanc)

How about?

Savvy Shopper
Street Savvy
Show Savvy

Electrikk
Mar. 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
I like Rye's suggestion of Savoir faire a lot, it sounds nice and has a fitting meaning :)

lachevaline
Mar. 21, 2012, 03:21 AM
My suggestions would be:

Serendipitous

Serengeti

La Sirène ("mermaid" in French).

But I think Serendipitous is my favorite. (If I used it the poor girl's nickname would probably be "Dippy" :D :D :D!)

axl
Mar. 21, 2012, 07:50 AM
How about Savant

She's lovely!

TrakeGirl
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:29 AM
I like Savoir faire! :yes:

Here's another French one... Sauvignon (as in... Blanc)

How about?

Savvy Shopper
Street Savvy
Show Savvy

REALLY like Sauvignon!! And Street Savvy.

Unless the announcer has taken a French class or too, Savoir Faire could get butchered.

findeight
Mar. 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
I like Serenity-it IS her name after all
and the old fable says it's bad luck to change a horse's name, especially a 9 year old;).

It's who she is and reflects her breeders choice and that of those who raised her and brought her to where she is now. And it's a nice name easily understood with several barn name choices from it.

But its your horse, your choice.

I would caution against tricky or pun type names or those referring to TV or movie situations or characters. The cutsey ones with 2 or 3 words sound like a 10 year old named her Pony and the movie/tv ones fade from most memories within a year or so and nobody will "get it"...remember all the Gandalfs and Jack Sparrows that sounded like a 14 year old with a crush picked them out?

If you insist, Seranade, Sauvignon, Serengeti and similar are quite popular and sound like a big time Hunter in a top string. Street Savvy sounds like a race horse by Street Sense and does nothing to reflect her ancestry...sounds kind of toughish too, suits the boys not a pretty European girl.

waremares
Mar. 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
Here are some synonyms for Serenity that might work:
Peace of Mind
Quietude
Tranquility
Contented
Content
Repose