View Full Version : Help me find a name...another one of "those" posts :)

Mar. 20, 2012, 06:30 PM
I am getting my new mare on Saturday and still struggling with a name! Her current registered name and name they use is Serenity. I am not in love with it. I have decided to call her "Savvy" for a barn name, but need a show name. Something catchy, different, maybe even a little goofy is good! I would like to use "Savvy" in the name. I thought of:

show biz savvy (my hubby isn't into it)
savvy affair (hubby likes this one)
not savvy related: short skirt long jacket (this is a Cake song)

Other thoughts? Here is a pic of her (not me riding her):

So excited!! Thanks!!

Mar. 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Savoir faire--French noun phrase that means being adaptable and adroit, knowing what to do in any situation. The ability to say or do the right or graceful thing.

Mar. 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
serenity now- seinfeld reference

Mar. 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
I like Savoir faire! :yes:

Here's another French one... Sauvignon (as in... Blanc)

How about?

Savvy Shopper
Street Savvy
Show Savvy

Mar. 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
I like Rye's suggestion of Savoir faire a lot, it sounds nice and has a fitting meaning :)

Mar. 21, 2012, 03:21 AM
My suggestions would be:

La Sirène ("mermaid" in French).

But I think Serendipitous is my favorite. (If I used it the poor girl's nickname would probably be "Dippy" :D :D :D!)

Mar. 21, 2012, 07:50 AM
How about Savant

She's lovely!

Mar. 21, 2012, 09:29 AM
I like Savoir faire! :yes:

Here's another French one... Sauvignon (as in... Blanc)

How about?

Savvy Shopper
Street Savvy
Show Savvy

REALLY like Sauvignon!! And Street Savvy.

Unless the announcer has taken a French class or too, Savoir Faire could get butchered.

Mar. 21, 2012, 09:57 AM
I like Serenity-it IS her name after all
and the old fable says it's bad luck to change a horse's name, especially a 9 year old;).

It's who she is and reflects her breeders choice and that of those who raised her and brought her to where she is now. And it's a nice name easily understood with several barn name choices from it.

But its your horse, your choice.

I would caution against tricky or pun type names or those referring to TV or movie situations or characters. The cutsey ones with 2 or 3 words sound like a 10 year old named her Pony and the movie/tv ones fade from most memories within a year or so and nobody will "get it"...remember all the Gandalfs and Jack Sparrows that sounded like a 14 year old with a crush picked them out?

If you insist, Seranade, Sauvignon, Serengeti and similar are quite popular and sound like a big time Hunter in a top string. Street Savvy sounds like a race horse by Street Sense and does nothing to reflect her ancestry...sounds kind of toughish too, suits the boys not a pretty European girl.

Mar. 21, 2012, 02:15 PM
Here are some synonyms for Serenity that might work:
Peace of Mind