PDA

View Full Version : Xwide, Xtall trailer vs. standard trailer

Fiat Lux
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Hello, all!
I'm looking for opinions...

I'm in the market for a used two horse bumper pull trailer, no dressing room. I really only need a standard sized trailer, and it's unlikely I will ever own horses large enough to need an extra tall, extra wide trailer. But I do have a friend or two with a large horse and it would be nice to be able to comfortably trailer such a horse if I ever wanted to. On the other hand, a larger trailer might be more difficult to maneuver in the small parking lots that tend to be at trail heads in my area, and I don't have tons of trailer maneuvering experience yet.

BUT I've found a trailer in excellent condition, lightly used, for a good price that's extra wide, extra tall.

Would you take the larger trailer, even though it may be larger than you really need? Or would you go with a standard sized?

Thanks!

TrotTrotPumpkn
Mar. 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
If my vehicle could handle it, yes.

breakthru
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Yes, I would also take the extra size - if it's not a huge difference, I think it's worth having when/if/in case you need it, and having an extra wide/ extra tall really doesn't make a trailer that much more difficult to maneuver. Length matters more with respect to making it harder to maneuver.

cutter99
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:49 PM
No one ever complains about too much room, only too little!

horsepoor
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
The only thing about the extra wide is that it can make it more difficult to drive on narrow roads, esp if wider than your tow vehicle. Of course, that depends on what "extra tall" and "extra wide" really mean (you have to look at the actual measurements as it can vary by maker or a person's perspective).

The interior (horse area) of my trailer is 6' wide and that means the outer width (including fenders, so total width of trailer) is 7'8". That hauls fine on most roads. I could have gone with the bigger model that is 6'8" wide (interior) and 8'6" overall width...but that is pretty wide when you look at it vs. the road widths around here. I am SO glad I went with the "narrow" version. Mine is a two horse straight load and my biggest boys do fine in it -- it is 7'6" tall.

If you are considering something wider (overall) than 8', I would definitely hook up and drive it first to see how it feels for you.

Flagstaff Foxhunter
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Bigger is better! Even for a smaller horse, the extra room is nice and you'll be less likely to have loading problems. More headroom is safer. No matter how large your friend's horses are, you can offer a ride, and your resale value will be higher. So I agree with the poster that said if your vehicle can handle it, it's a good choice.

ChocoMare
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:43 PM
No one ever complains about too much room, only too little!

Amen and ditto. Go for it ;)

airhorse
Mar. 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
Axle width will most likely be the same on both trailers, so they will drive and park the same.

HoofaSchmigetty
Mar. 21, 2012, 06:46 AM
Think RESALE value.....Taller and wider is ALWAYS better!!!

Badger
Mar. 21, 2012, 07:03 AM
More room makes for more comfortable travel experience for your horses. They will dig the extra headroom and space.