PDA

View Full Version : Couch to 5K equivalent for swimming?

BlueEyedSorrel
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Tonight, for the first time in several years (unsound horse, end of grad school craziness, job interviews got in the way), I went to my university rec center and swam some laps. OMG, I hurt, and I only did around 20 minutes. Thank goodness for advil!

I grew up swimming (pool was 1/2 mile from my parents' house), but never did it competitively. I swam sporadically a few times a week during college and start of grad school, generally around 30 minutes of freestyle. Now I figure no time like the present to get back into some kind of routine, and my horse will thank me. When I used to swim, I found no stirrups work and such so much easier. And various falls have messed up my hip and knee on the right side, so that walking around is no problem but running is a no go.

So, is there a Couch to 5K equivalent for swimming? I'd love to have some organized way to doing this, other than just trial and error.

BES

TBKate
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:54 PM
No help on the app, but is there a Masters group near you? My dad's been swimming Masters for 30 years and they're very welcoming! I know my dad writes workouts for newcomers all the time. A group like that could probably help you get back in the water.

You're braver than me--I grew up swimming as well, and I'm being a coward about getting back into it because I know I'll be SO out of shape!

BlueEyedSorrel
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:13 PM
No help on the app, but is there a Masters group near you? My dad's been swimming Masters for 30 years and they're very welcoming! I know my dad writes workouts for newcomers all the time. A group like that could probably help you get back in the water.

You're braver than me--I grew up swimming as well, and I'm being a coward about getting back into it because I know I'll be SO out of shape!

Hmmmm, i had never heard of the Masters, but a quick google search brought up club websites that had beginner workouts. Thanks!

I am in the process of moving over the next few months (finishing grad school, starting job in another city), but I may check into it once I get settled.

BES

Equine Adhesive
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:36 PM
5K? That's 100 laps in my gym's pool. Eek!

RumoursFollow
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
Yep I would definitely check out the masters swimmers. They are awesome! The fast people scare me though. I can swim forever, but I am slow!!

If you don't have a workout that works, pm me and I'll send you one. It's geared toward a triathlon, but it works individually as well.

Reynard Ridge
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:41 AM
I swam with a master's class at my local Y for a couple of years. The instructor was a proponent of the Total Immersion swimming program. I really enjoyed it and found it to be fun, motivating and I do think my swim technique improved. The basic concept is that it uses different swim exercises to help you improve your swimming style.

So, if you buy the book, or watch the videos, it can help you improve your swimming style, and I found the exercises were considerably less boring than just swimming laps.

I'm no swim expert, so I don't know if there are critics of the Total Immersion system, but, like I said, for a recreational swimmer, I found it a great way to keep engaged in the water.

http://www.totalimmersion.net/