PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever drink 5 hour energy drink?

Bank of Dad
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:17 PM
What's it taste like? How does it make you feel? I rarely ever have caffeine, is there so much that I would get the shakes? I've been too reluctant to try it. I was thinking of using it as a caffeine kick when I get a migraine.

Sonesta
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
I do drink them. But then, I am used to caffeine as I drink a lot of coffee. But I like them for all the B vitamins they contain. They DO boost your energy.

I suggest trying the Berry flavor one to start.

What I do is mix one in a glass of lemonade.

They taste tart and sweet.

mroades
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:39 PM
I think they taste awful, I do them like a shot...lol. I think they work much better than caffeine...

Laurierace
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
I have never tried five hour energy but a lo carb monster is one of the highlights of my day. Love the stuff!

Wholehearted
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:09 PM
MUCH better than caffeine. I love coffee, but it can give me the shakes if I have a little too much. I've never had that with 5 hour and I've never needed more than one.

Mara
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:18 PM
I've only tried it once, and to me it was sort of what I'd think yak spit would taste like. Same with Monster.

It didn't do anything for me, but then again I'd estimate my blood is at least 40% caffeine.

Kestrel
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Much better than yak spit - or yak cheese, or yak butter tea.... The berry flavor is not great, but not too offensive.

Anyway, I do drink the 5 Hour Energy but don't drink coffee. They don't give me the shakes, just a very mild alertness. I've drunk one at 7:30 a.m., gone to school and taken an exam, and come home 5 hours later and taken a nap without a whole lot of trouble.

Cataluna
Mar. 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
The only time Ive had one was the morning of Day 2 while filming the show, Mantracker. We didn't exactly have access to a pot of coffee in the middle if the woods, so I picked up a couple 5 hour energy shots to make due. They kicked in FAST and I was super wired for a good 2-3 hours.

The aftertaste was better than the initial taste with the one I had... I definitely prefer a nice hot cup of coffee in the morning, that's for sure!

Dry Clean Only
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:32 AM
They taste like chemicals.

Direct quote from my cousin when I asked about them. She was right! They do work, and leave me less jittery than just caffeine. Just don't plan on sleeping all that well!

Curb Appeal
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:39 AM
They taste like chemicals.

Direct quote from my cousin when I asked about them. She was right! They do work, and leave me less jittery than just caffeine. Just don't plan on sleeping all that well!

Exactly! That's how I would describe them as well.

dawglover
Apr. 7, 2012, 10:58 AM
I like it, and I've tried all the flavors. None are particularly tasty but I just slug it down, make a face (where IS that puking icon? ;)), and then I'm good to go for several hours.
I find it especially useful for my late night drives alone up 95 to PA.

It doesn't give me the jitters nor does it leave me with that let down feeling you get when those high powered caffiene drinks wear off.

TheJenners
Apr. 7, 2012, 11:41 AM
Start with half of one if you are concerned about the shakes :). If you aren't a regular to caffeine, then it might make you jittery.

I go back and forth between buying larger quantities of that or sugar-free Red Bull. I tend to get burned out on the Five Hour Energy drinks because they are syrupy and no matter what flavor I get, they all start to taste like cough syrup after a while. I have one a day, the same as people who have coffee in the morning. I hate coffee (love the smell though). It's a cheapish, low-calorie replacement, helps me get going.

As an aside, I have read health articles about the amazing amounts of B vitamins in them, 2000 percent of our daily needs. The article was touching on the people who have two or three a day, and how there is apparently a level for vitamin B toxicity. Just to be aware. I have been drinking one of those or a Red Bull a day for years, and occasionally more than one Red Bull when I'm on nights, and haven't kicked off, gone bald, or grown another arm.

MaybeMorgan
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'd be careful. Both my girls who drink very little caffiene said that using one made them felt like they were dying.

Jamie2337
Apr. 7, 2012, 12:57 PM
I drank one, once. Within 5 minutes was flushed, shaky, heart beating fast, broke out in a sweat...was very scary. And I drink a lot of caffeine. I had a very adverse effect with them.

Alagirl
Apr. 7, 2012, 02:11 PM
I find them less then impressive in the effect department.
I do drink a pot of coffee in the course of the morning though...

The taste...I find orange to be the most acceptable, but they all have that funky taste. Bottoms up and down the hatch... :dead:

rideagoldenpony
Apr. 7, 2012, 03:55 PM
I don't drink coffee, but I do occasionally enjoy the boost from the 5 hour energy drinks -- I like the berry flavor. I actually think it tastes good!

I get sooooooo much done with one! LOL

I don't take them very often, but I do like them. The first half hour makes me a little oddly shaky, but after that, everything is great!

TheJenners
Apr. 7, 2012, 04:46 PM
I drank one, once. Within 5 minutes was flushed, shaky, heart beating fast, broke out in a sweat...was very scary. And I drink a lot of caffeine. I had a very adverse effect with them.
That would be the niacin, most likely.

dressagetraks
Apr. 7, 2012, 06:33 PM
Timely thread. I was thinking of picking up a couple just in case I start to wear down. Next Saturday, I'm going to the races at Oaklawn. Roughly 5 1/2 hours driving to Hot Springs, 10 hours there at the races, 5 1/2 hours driving back. I love trip driving, but that will be a LONG day on some not terribly great roads. I detest coffee (insert puking icon).

CrouchingCheese
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
I go back and forth between buying larger quantities of that or sugar-free Red Bull. I tend to get burned out on the Five Hour Energy drinks because they are syrupy and no matter what flavor I get, they all start to taste like cough syrup after a while. I have one a day, the same as people who have coffee in the morning. I hate coffee (love the smell though). It's a cheapish, low-calorie replacement, helps me get going.

I agree with TheJenners regarding the sugar-free Red Bull. For a while it was the best way for me to get through the weekends! It gives you a great energy boost with no "crashing" later from the sugar-laden energy drinks.

Even better, if you have an Aldi's store in your area, they make a generic version that's EXACTLY the same as Red Bull (even in sugar-free) and it only costs $2.39 for a four pack (so, about $0.60 each) compared to ~$6 for a four pack of Red Bull. I drink these ALL the time, pretty much at least one and occasionally two every day.

I've had the 5 Hour Energy drinks too....honestly, the gas station charges way too much for them (you can get them for $1 each at the Dollar Store though).

Nikki^
Apr. 7, 2012, 07:40 PM
I use them if I have to drive more then 6 hours. They make me soar into the clouds and I love it:D.

No crash whatso ever but if I do not get enough sleep and keep taking them, they stop working.

Sarah616
Apr. 7, 2012, 09:48 PM
I used them when I was driving from Virginia to Ocala, FL (about 12 hours, and was driving straight through). I had no adverse effects; they didn't make me "soar", but I sure wasn't yawning or anything, and I didn't have a problem getting to Florida! I wound up drinking 2 throughout the drive (plus a diet coke or two ;) ). I had the berry ones, and they tasted like a mix of apple juice and cough syrup or something... neither of which I like. Pretty gross, but it goes away.

I DID have a problem on the way back... I was working on 2 cups of coffee, 3 diet cokes and had just had a 2nd 5-hour drink (all within about a 7 hour period), and had a mild panic attack.... mostly because I calculated that I had about 6 hours left to drive, having been up since 6, with it being daylight's saving weekend, so I was on about 5 hours of sleep. Not the best combination, so take those effects with a grain of salt. ;)

And the best part about them is that they don't make me have to use the restroom like mixing coffee and soda does!! Added bonus.

Slewdledo
Apr. 8, 2012, 02:26 AM
I drank a 5-hour energy and it had no effect. Energy drinks (though I have never tried Red Bull) often have a reverse effect on me and make me want to go to sleep.

WB Mom
Apr. 8, 2012, 09:01 AM
I've thought of drinking a 5 hour energy during the early afternoon so the 5 hours should wear off around 5:30ish. It seems I am always tired around 4pm, just as I get to the barn to ride. However, I have to be in bed between 8-8:30 and I'm scared I won't be able to go to sleep. Thoughts?