PDA

View Full Version : Who else loves Sundance, Indy, IFC, or foreign films?

Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
I love foreign and non mainstream films with a passion! Any film that is thought provoking, and out of the ordinary get my attention, and leaves an impression on me. Must be the artist in me (my Bachelors is in Fine Art) that likes something a bit more creative than your mainstream flick.

My go to channels are Sundance, Indy, IFC, SCINHD, and then HGTV too, of course. Give me subtitles any day, especially if I am on my treadmill. Love Dutch films, British, German, Japanese, Czech: I love them all! American is good, as long if they are cerebral.

Anyone else? What are some of your favorite films?

hollydunpony
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:02 PM
Me too! I love independent films :) Huge fan of Spirit of the Wind (even though it's American, it's tough to get a hold of... we bought our copy from France). I'm also a sucker for pretty much any Scandinavian comedy or drama (Kopps, Buddy, Jalla Jalla, Hawaii, Oslo.... love them all!)

Bank of Dad
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
We have belonged to a foreign film club for the past 35 years! Some of my recent favorites:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
The Visitor
The Band's Visit
Lives of Others
Away From Her
Junebug
Tsotsi
Water
Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont
Of Gods and Men
Poetry
Win Win

Larksmom
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
I LOVE French movies! I don't speak French, but read at the speed of light. Erich Rohmer used a lot of the same actresses throughout their careers. I do not remember the names of the women, but the same girls were in Claire's Knee all the way to the last one i saw about Autumn, in which they were grown and with grown children of their own. They didn't play the same characters, but they were in several of his movies. Frothy and light as cotton candy, his movies were terrific.
I also loved the other end of the spectrum, The Lives of Others. A serious and heartbreaking German movie.
Italian movies that are worthy of note, Cinema Paradiso, and La Vita E Bella. Dreamy music in those two. And a light Italian comedy from a few years back, Bread and Tulips.