PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Southern California

Lillian.12
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
Greetings!

I was looking for some recommendations about barns in southern california. I want one that does the A shows and etc; however, I do not want a gigantic overly priced show barn. One that obviously takes great care of their horses and has a skilled trainer, but not like a Karen Healy or Archie Cox. Ideas? :)

Mayaty02
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Peter Lombardo at Frontier Farms.

http://frontierfarmsca.com/

TheHorseProblem
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
My friend's daughter rides with Jeni Brown.

http://www.shadowbrookstables.blogspot.com/

Where are you looking to board? It's a pretty big area.

Peggy
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Where are you looking to board? And, are you primarily interested in hunters, eq, or jumpers, or some combination?

Justice
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
Mark Watring is fantastic. Beginner ponies to grand prix, and runs a barn with a wonderful family atmosphere, which is rare for competitive barns in Southern California. Great teacher, unbelievable rider. Highly recommend.

skippy60
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hmmm... id say for dressage go with savoir fair stables in San Marcos (or at least near there) and for jumpers? I don't know, because my barn doesn't do a whole lot of showing and there's no boarding open anyways. I would say definatly be within quick traipering distance from del mar, because of the variety of rated shows. Oh, and don't forget to stop by Marys Tack and Feed!

Actually if you live in the Low Angeles area do Foxfield stables.

sp56
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
SoCal is a big place. Are you thinking LA? SD? Inland Empire?...

Boarding barn or training program? Level of instruction/discipline? (Hunters, Eq, Jumpers)

AndNirina
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:27 AM
I second, third and fourth Jeni Brown. I was lucky enough to ride with her for a few years before I had children. She's wonderful.

Linda
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:38 AM
Welllll

You really need to know "where" in so Cal you plan to be first You can spend hours and hours just driving around the area and the traffic will make you crazy.

If you are thinking about LA, then "where" in LA - Palos verdes, Hollywood, Long beach? Orange county? Inland empire? Ventura? Moorpark? Pasadena? Or further south in San Diego?

Its easy to get stressed out by driving around (for hours) trying to get from one place to the next.

So Id suggest figuring out where you are going to live or work first - and then look for a good trainer in that area. We could probably come up with some ideas if you can narrow down the location.

lachevaline
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:22 AM
There's always LAEC.

twnkltoz
Mar. 20, 2012, 03:39 AM
Martin McAllister Training at LAEC! So knowledgeable and great people.

STA
Mar. 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
BIG second to Mark Watring and I would contact Foxfield in Westlake Village.

Providence
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:09 PM
If you are in the San Diego area check out Newmarket Inc. Wonderful trainers that do A circuit as well as the county shows.

ladkins000
Mar. 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
Elvenstar in Moorpark! Jim Hagman, Kay Altheuser, Katie Gardner as trainers. Fabulous team.

cassiegannon
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
I ride with Jess Wentworth in Escondido. Its great! We compete at A rated and county level shows. Quality show barn and NOT OVERPRICED!
www.royalheavenfarm.com

TheHorseProblem
Jul. 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Martin McAllister Training at LAEC! So knowledgeable and great people.

I believe they moved to Flintridge Riding Club.:)

kimballsgirl
Jul. 30, 2012, 02:34 PM
check out sunsetequinefarms.com

TheBiscuitMan
Jul. 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
Krystal Clemente of Black Mountain Sport Horses is a great jumper trainer in the Ventura area. If you are interested PM me for her contact info.

HRF Second Chance
Jul. 30, 2012, 03:10 PM
I believe they moved to Flintridge Riding Club.:)

Did they? I adore Steve. I still hear him in my head when I get all anxious on course "let us laugh at you a little bit." I highly recommend them. Steve is a very upfront and honest trainer. And he's not afraid to help even people on crappy horses they should've never bought (coughs, that's me).

doublesstable
Jul. 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Did they? I adore Steve. I still hear him in my head when I get all anxious on course "let us laugh at you a little bit." I highly recommend them. Steve is a very upfront and honest trainer. And he's not afraid to help even people on crappy horses they should've never bought (coughs, that's me).

http://www.martinmcallistertraining.com/html/program/index.html

Yes at Flintridge. That's such a great story about let us laugh at you... love it. That is MY issue too..... :)

HRF Second Chance
Jul. 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah he's such a great guy. He goes "look, don't get offended but let us laugh at you a little. You're shoving this horse into a box he's just not ready for. Let him make the mistakes and let us laugh about them." Truly stuck with me. Of course he came to see me later because he knew I was crying in the stall (which I was) and was nice. And I got RESULTS!

He also told me he wanted to see what I could do on a horse that was worth something and now that I have one I haven't had a chance to ride with him! BOO!!!

*jumper*
Jul. 31, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hillary Ridland/Equisports is great if you're in the San Juan area (althought I believe she still spends some of the week in Malibu).

http://equisportsinternational.com

Bearhunter
Jul. 31, 2012, 09:14 AM
Hillary Ridland/Equisports is great if you're in the San Juan area (althought I believe she still spends some of the week in Malibu).

http://equisportsinternational.com

I second this. Hillary is wonderful!

She is in San Juan Capistrano @ the Blenheim horse park. No longer in Malibu however.

findeight
Jul. 31, 2012, 09:35 AM
Can OP come back and tell us where she will be? Some of these named barns are over 100 miles apart, some waaaaay out.

Budget too...some are really waaaaay out price wise as well.

Lizmo
Jul. 8, 2013, 07:05 PM
I am looking for Circuit barns in San Diego?!

findeight
Jul. 9, 2013, 10:15 AM
Maybe start a new thread with that title? Some don't like to pull up posts they already read or read thru old responses. Or you can edit the title of this one but just starting a new thread about San Diego options is easier and allows specific recommendations with minimum effort from those browsing the board.

Since San Diego can include everything from Capistrano down to the border and from Hemet to the sea? Where exactly will you be living, metro/inland/up the coast? And how much time do you want to spend driving? Talking about hundreds of square miles here. Mileage tends to be meaningless due to traffic patterns.

Andrew
Jul. 9, 2013, 11:39 PM
contact.... www.tishquirk.com

baileybelko
Feb. 21, 2014, 08:51 PM
Hi All!
I just moved to the Inland Empire (Rancho Cucamonga) from the east coast and am looking for a hunter/jumper barn to move my horse into. Looking for a nice barn that has quality care, great trainers and isn't outrageously expensive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Peggy
Feb. 21, 2014, 09:15 PM
How much are you willing to spend? (ballpark - say <$1000 for board and lessons, ~$1500, or more)
Do you want your horse in training or to do a lesson or two a week?
How far are you willing to drive?
What level of shows do you do? USEF A, USEF C/County, County?
More jumpers or more hunters?

I'm at Rancho de Felicidad in Chino Hills, training with Patty Foltz-McCarty. We do mostly OC County type shows and have a mix of people interested in hunters, eq, and jumpers and one event rider. At this point I have kept a horse at four different venue in Chino Hills so I know a bit about what's out there.