PDA

View Full Version : Spin Off: Bad Cheek Biting Habit?

Rel6
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
I was inspired by the picking cuticles/nails thread...

I have a TERRIBLE habit of biting the skin on the inside of my mouth, be it lip, cheek, even sometimes by tongue. I constantly show up in candid pictures with my mouth contorted because I'm biting. I bite unti I bleed even if my mouth is sore.

Its an on and off problem. I used to be a bad nail biter but that mostly disappeared. I'll notice I'm biting and then realize I haven't dont it in a while. I do it if I'm anxious, stressed, or bored. Mostly bored as I am not a very anxious person and deal with stress pretty well. I am ADHD and have always been fidgety.

Anyone else do this too?!

FLeventer
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:39 PM
I bite my lip as well as picking my cuticles. I have scars on the inside of my lips from pestering them since I was young. I was on Novocain for the 1st time and chew the entire inside of my lip when I was 10. Grew back but left a large scar on the inside. I was super lucky.

The best thing about chewing the inside of my lip is that they are always puffy and full from being swollen.

LovelyBay
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
I chew on my cheeks and tongue! Glad I'm not the only one. Wish I could stop.

boosma47
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:16 PM
My cheek and tongue chewing happens when I am asleep, and I wake myself up doing it. It is always the same spots, and my tongue now has a nice handy raised scar which makes the chewing easier, I guess.

Coanteen
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:22 PM
Oh man, I do that too. When I'm stressed mostly - the inside of my mouth is horrible around exam time!

CobJockey
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:25 PM
Tongue chewer here! I used to get in trouble in school because teachers thought I was chewing gum, and would swallow it when caught. Nope, just my tongue!

HenryisBlaisin'
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:28 PM
I do it too, all along bottom lip and sometimes top too. It's definitely worse with stress for me. If I'm really stressed my bottom lip hurts all the way across and is raw and bleeding.

MistyBlue
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
My youngest had that cheek biting habit. That's a tough one to break.

Boot camp fixed it for her though. Bad habits aren't allowed, LOL! :winkgrin:

Drill Instructors are really good at breaking bad habits. :cool: Bearing training.

Some bad habits are really really hard to break. Unlike quitting smoking or drinking...you can't put your cheek or nails down and walk away from them. :no:

Too bad there aren't people we can hire to follow us around and holler at us when we bite cheeks or nails.

I'm trying to get used to sitting "normal." Not curling a leg under me or crossing my legs. I'm also a cuticle biter. *sigh* I already quit smoking...and that sucked. But my legs and my cuticles follow me everywhere!

mg
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Curious...how many of you with cheek biting habits have developed TMJ disorders? (asking because I personally struggle with this :no:)

noreins
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
I bite my lip as well as picking my cuticles. I have scars on the inside of my lips from pestering them since I was young. I was on Novocain for the 1st time and chew the entire inside of my lip when I was 10. Grew back but left a large scar on the inside. I was super lucky.

Are we the same person? I chewed a giant sore into my cheek on novocaine when I was 14, I was on a trail ride and bored/enthused by my numb cheek I guess. I couldn't eat or speak for three days, all nourishment had to be consumed through a straw for fear of the intense, stinging pain of anything touching my cheek.

I also pick at my cuticles until I draw blood/chew my lip come exam time. Though sometimes my body's stress reaction is to develop mouth ulcers all on its own so I guess I'm just self-destructive on a subconscious level. ;)

MistyBlue
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:41 PM
Curious...how many of you with cheek biting habits have developed TMJ disorders?

Ya know, I never made that connection. I just finished physical therapy for someissues I didn't even know I had before starting Phys Therapy. :lol: I was having unexplained body pain and some of it was also jaw/face/head pain. TMD/TMJ

Turns out I had some screwed up parts...but the physical therapist made a HUGE difference in the TMD/J. At first it was worse due to all the myofascial releasing...worse pain and worse symptoms. But then...holy freaking relief!

And I spent YEARS biting nails and that's a bad thing. Boy was I screwed up. If you have TMD/J ask to be referred to a physical therapist. The right therapy makes an ENORMOUS difference!

FLeventer
Mar. 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Are we the same person? I chewed a giant sore into my cheek on novocaine when I was 14, I was on a trail ride and bored/enthused by my numb cheek I guess. I couldn't eat or speak for three days, all nourishment had to be consumed through a straw for fear of the intense, stinging pain of anything touching my cheek.

I also pick at my cuticles until I draw blood/chew my lip come exam time. Though sometimes my body's stress reaction is to develop mouth ulcers all on its own so I guess I'm just self-destructive on a subconscious level. ;)

Same for me. I also seem to always brush too hard and then slam the toothbrush into my gums when I am not paying attention and I get mouth sores from it. I have stock in mouthwash for hopes of preventing infection/sores.

Also my TMJ is mostly from clenching or grinding my teeth when asleep.

Blugal
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:17 AM
Wow, I wonder what the common denominator is on these things - some sort of ADD or OCD?

I bite my cheeks and pick at my cuticles too. I used to bite my nails, but fixed that habit when I was 11 - my mother promised I could have my ears pierced if I quit.

My riding coach gives me heck for the cheek biting, I do it when I'm nervous or concentrating, which makes for an *awful* look at competitions! I have noticed since I am no longer in University that the cheek biting has largely gone away - during exams I would have raw cheeks.

Indy
Mar. 20, 2012, 07:44 AM
I gnaw on the inside of my lower lip. It's pretty well scarred up by now. Sometimes I'll bite my cheeks but it's normally my lip. I do it when I'm stressed or when I'm upset and trying not to cry. It distracts me enough to get my emotions in check.

The habit started when I started riding really seriously. My trainer was a major yeller and when I get yelled at, I cry. But if I cried, she'd yell at me more for crying so I learned that if I chewed on my lip, I could keep myself from crying. So she'd holler, I'd chew my lip bloody instead of cry, and wouldn't give her something else to yell at me for.

Now I do it more when I'm frustrated at work or stressed, but sometimes it happens just because it's there. It doesn't help that all the chewing has left raised scar tissue that is easy to get at with my teeth.