PDA

View Full Version : Can't lose the last 10#

thatsnotme
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:18 PM
A year ago I decided it was time to loose my baby weight (my son is 14:eek:) I am 44, fyi. I started a workout routine with a friend. We walk 4 nights a week on a city path that is rolling. Its a 3 mile path and we do it in just under 30 minutes-we are booking! I also jog the same path 4 mornings a week (not the same mornings always, so sometimes I'm doing 6 miles in a day, other days only 3). Fridays I don't go at all. I also work out at home, stretching and light weights. In the last year I have slowly dropped the 20#. I'm back to my wedding weight! Yay!! However, I would now like to drop another 10. I am still stuck at the same weight 3 months later. I've been to the Dr., had bloodwork done, nothing new is going on. Why am I stuck??

Canaqua
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:33 PM
Maybe try adding in heavier weights. That's what finally got the last 15 pounds of Mommy flab off for me years ago, after my first son (oddly, it just fell off after I had my second at 40, go figure). Light weights are kind of a waste of time, they don't really do much to build muscle, which is what allows you to get rid of fat and keep it. "Toning" with light weights is BS, IMO. I was 36 at the time and, after some months was lifting very heavy weights for 8 reps, 3 sets. I could bench press my body weight and squat far more than that. I did not, however, look very muscular, just lean, most women won't put on lots of bulky muscle, our lower levels of testosterone don't generally allow it. Don't be afraid to work up to heavy weight, but do get help to make sure you do it safely...a trainer at a gym can help.

ParadoxFarm
Mar. 19, 2012, 08:54 PM
Also try mixing up your workout routine. Sprints are good, meaning walk fast for a period then jog/run as fast as you can for 30/60 seconds, back to easier pace, repeat.

avezan
Mar. 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
Ha! Me too. Last year I decided to lose the baby weight. My baby is 7. I'm within 4 pounds of my goal weight. But I've been there for 3 months! For the last 3 months, I went on vacation, made it through the holidays, and traveled extensively. I have finally gotten back to to the weight where I was in December. I'm hoping I'm back on track now.

A couple of things happen with those last pounds. First, the thinner you get, the less calories your body needs. So the calories that you were eating/burning before when you had more weight to lose affect you differently now that you have less weight to lose. So you need to eat less and burn more to maintain the same weight loss the thinner that you get.

Next, you can get into a rut with the exercise. Your body gets used to the same routine and doesn't burn as many calories as it did when the routine was newer. You need to change it up. My exercise of choice was zumba. I love it! I didn't really want to do anything else. But recently I tried a few other classes at my gym, and the weight loss has kicked back in.

Good luck. I wish I had made this decision years ago. It really wasn't that bad to lose the first 20lbs or so. Its the last 10 that has been hard! Still hoping I get there...

glfprncs
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:13 PM
Read Tosca Reno's book, "Stripped.". It's design is to help you, via eat clean nutrition & exercise, to help with the last few pounds. She has yet to write anything that I think use less than solidly thought out information that is safe (nutrition wise).

On a different note...are you sure you must drop those stubborn final pounds? Too often, imo, we get fixated on a number when we need to just focus on being healthy & happy.

Props to you, though, for your success over the past year. : )

MistyBlue
Mar. 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
Plateau.

Many times the kick to get that last bit off (or to start the first bit off) is to tweak whatever you're eating and also swap your normal workout to something completely different.

Surprises the body into dropping weight. :winkgrin:

Not saying to stop eating though. Just tweak something there...maybe something like going dairy free for a week.

And instead of your normal cardio (running or walking) stick a couple Zumba classes in there instead.

Our bodies get used to routines in diet and in exercise. That's why so many of us wonder why we can muck stalls and sling hay and lug buckets every single day and not lose an ounce. :winkgrin: You gotta change things up. :cool:

Coanteen
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
Agree, plateau. And that last few lbs is always toughest - it's just easier to lose when you have a lot to lose.

I agree with picking up weights to add to your cardio/replace some cardio. If you've been dieting as well, sometimes upping your intake for a bit helps to get over the plateau; OTOH if you're eating a whole lot then cleaning up the diet or cutting back just a bit can help.

fanfayre
Mar. 19, 2012, 11:57 PM
Ha! Lucky you! I'm your age, have never had kids, and can't even lose the first d@>^ 10lbs. I've been following Weight Watchers since September, and have lost ***drumroll, please*** a whopping 2 pounds :(
I walk out with my Mum 5-6 days/week (45-75mins at a time) and I've begun riding again, so hopefully the lbs will start to go.
Otherwise, I have no suggestions other than what you've already been told, but I do wish you good luck. Everyone deserves to be their goal weight.:)

pal-o-mino
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:04 AM
this worked for me and it happened by accident.

i was stuck at my weight, needed to lose the last 10. went to vegas for a week and knew i couldn't exercise or eat normally, so I ate what i wanted at buffets and had a great time for a five days.

got home, went right back to what I was eating before the trip and doing for exercise. not only did a not gain anything while I was gone, the last 10 popped off and then some.

I think it was something like, tricking my body into thinking there was tons of food around, makes it easier for weight to come off. I really don't know.

But that's what happened to me. Your results may vary, etc, etc. I was mid 30s? not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Blugal
Mar. 20, 2012, 01:11 AM
You can watch Last 10 Pounds Boot Camp (http://www.slice.ca/shows/showspage.aspx?title_id=105451) for inspiration. It's on the Slice channel - the link I provided has online episodes.